First Chanel Bag - deciding between boy bag, WOC, camera bag

kombucha

Nov 18, 2018
Hi All,

I am planning to buy my very first Chanel bag this year. I have been eyeing the following bags, and would love your input if you own any of them. I would like to purchase this bag to be versatile and used regularly, so I would purchase this in caviar leather. I would use this bag to run errands, hang out with friends, go from day to night, to go on vacations with, and also use it to go bars, etc.

The essentials I would like it to hold is my iPhone XS Max (with a phone case and pop socket), my Chloe Drew card holder, maybe keys, and a lipstick. Ideally the bag would hold more, with a small hand sanitizer, sunglasses, a small makeup pouch. I have the LV Favorite MM, for example, and it is a great size for me, though I would be able to downsize a little more.

1) Chanel boy bag small or medium. The boy bag is actually my dream bag and I have been eyeing it for years and years. I believe the small would hold most of the essentials I listed above, but please let me know if that is not your experience.

2) Wallet on chain. I know this is a coveted bag and I think it's super cute. My main concern is that it would still be too small for me, even if I used the included card slots without my card holder. I feel that the price-point is high for something that is essentially a wallet. I have been to the Chanel store to look at the classic and the boy WOC, and it still seems very small. Although the boy WOC seems to hold more than the classic. A lot of people seem to love this bag, so I appreciate hearing any cons you may have.

3) Camera bag. I think Chanel's camera bags are very cute, and would fit more than a wallet on chain. I think this would be a great option for when I travel. Do you have a camera bag, and how do you like it? I also feel that the price-point for a Chanel camera bag is really high, but I do not like the Gucci Marmont or YSL camera bags (let me know if there are other alternatives I should consider).

Thank you so much in advance for all your help!

Hi All,

I am planning to buy my very first Chanel bag this year. I have been eyeing the following bags, and would love your input if you own any of them. I would like to purchase this bag to be versatile and used regularly, so I would purchase this in caviar leather. I would use this bag to run errands, hang out with friends, go from day to night, to go on vacations with, and also use it to go bars, etc.

The essentials I would like it to hold is my iPhone XS Max (with a phone case and pop socket), my Chloe Drew card holder, maybe keys, and a lipstick. Ideally the bag would hold more, with a small hand sanitizer, sunglasses, a small makeup pouch. I have the LV Favorite MM, for example, and it is a great size for me, though I would be able to downsize a little more.

1) Chanel boy bag small or medium. The boy bag is actually my dream bag and I have been eyeing it for years and years. I believe the small would hold most of the essentials I listed above, but please let me know if that is not your experience.

2) Wallet on chain. I know this is a coveted bag and I think it's super cute. My main concern is that it would still be too small for me, even if I used the included card slots without my card holder. I feel that the price-point is high for something that is essentially a wallet. I have been to the Chanel store to look at the classic and the boy WOC, and it still seems very small. Although the boy WOC seems to hold more than the classic. A lot of people seem to love this bag, so I appreciate hearing any cons you may have.

3) Camera bag. I think Chanel's camera bags are very cute, and would fit more than a wallet on chain. I think this would be a great option for when I travel. Do you have a camera bag, and how do you like it? I also feel that the price-point for a Chanel camera bag is really high, but I do not like the Gucci Marmont or YSL camera bags (let me know if there are other alternatives I should consider).

Thank you so much in advance for all your help!

I think you can squeeze your essentials with classic WOC. (but not the hand sanitizer, makeup pouch and sunglasses, or large set of keys.)
I have it and love it, only carry my phone XS, one car key (taken off from my key pouch, the rest of my house keys were left in the car), one lipstick, cards in card slots and loose cash. To me it's perfect as a clutch for night when I don't need to carry a lot.

From the three bags you've selected, maybe the small boy could fit all the essentials you've mentioned and a bit more.

Alternative: I think you can also check out the classic quilted square mini, it fits all your essentials and more, around USD$3k.

Last edited:
For the amount of things you want to fit, I'd highly suggest either the Chanel boy in medium or the camera bag.

I have several WOC, and IMO they're really more suited for a night out when you can keep your things really minimal. As a day to day bag, it's way too small for the basic essentials. You definitely wouldn't be able to stuff sunglasses in a WOC. You really can only fit your phone, a few cards/CCs, and a lip stick in a WOC while still being able to close it safely.

Hi, I agree I think the WOC is really cute but not very functional as a day bag. It can work if you also carry a tote (which I do for work) to throw in the sunglasses, hand sanitizer etc. But by itself the WOC is not enough for me in the day. Its a great evening/ going out bag and can fit the first list of essentials you described.

I don't have a small boy so can't comment. When I saw it in store it looked small and the cost was high for the size imo. Instead a mini rectangular/square is a bit cheaper and can probably fit all the same items.

Medium boy can fit all of what you described, and can go day to night. I think it is a bit clunky for a bar personally but it could work! I have old medium size but I don't think I would take it on vacation. It feels a bit heavy for me on the shoulder and I think it is going to be like a weekend bag for me, not daily bag.

I haven't checked out the camera bag so cant comment on that either :smile: Good luck!

You shd probably head to Chanel to have a look. In my old medium boy I carry keys in a case, phone (S9 plus) and compact chanel wallet. I can sometimes fit sunglasses in a soft case and tissues as well if I am lucky. Chanel bags are small and have meant I have had to learn to downsize bag contents.

Medium boy can fit everything you mentioned. My experience is that the small boy can too, depending on how much makeup you carry and if you're willing to have your sunglasses in a soft sleeve/drawstring bag instead of in a case. I'd put my cards and cash in the little pocket in the small boy and use the main compartment for the other things you mentioned, resting my sunglasses on top.