First Bolide: Which would you choose? 27 or 31 -- or Bolide 1923 (30 cm)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillfabulous

Luxury Writer
O.G.
Aug 12, 2008
Bonjour Orange Lovers!

I have an appointment with my fabulous SA next weekend. He asked about pieces I desire, and I told him I am pondering a Bolide in Rigide. He asked my size preference; traditionally, he said the 31 was their bestseller, but recently the 27 has been trending.

I've searched tPB forums (and Google) for days to see if I could find some comparison threads on Bolide sizes--specifically with modeling photos and what's in my bag--so I can consider what will fit inside and the relative proportion of the bag sizes for my 5'5" frame. Surprisingly, I have not come up with threads where comparisons of the 27 and the 31 are already discussed. Then I discovered the newish Bolide 1923: a bit modernized with a more sleek design line, no oval mono patch, no mid-bag stitching on the face, a bit less curvy at the top zip. At a 30 cm size, I would like to consider the 1923 Bolide along with the 27 & 31 to make the best decision for me.

Due to spinal injuries from car accidents, I have deliberately been sizing down on my bags. Sadly, I don't carry my 35 BBB anymore because of the weight. I have a 32K in Epsom (light), which is a good size, and I have a GP Toile/Leather (light in hand) in TPM (30 cm). By paring down my wallet size, using more of the smaller SLGs, and using a bag insert, I've been able to adjust to carrying my day bag necessities in both the 30GP and the 32K. I suspect going down even smaller to a 27 cm may prove too tough of a challenge for me.

From one photo I was able to locate that did show the contents of a 27 Bolide, my first reaction was there's not much room inside a Bolide 27. My next thought was the 27 seems a bit awkward to get your hand past the open zipper to reach in for whatever contents are not directly front and center of the bag's interior. Definitely not a good idea for fresh manicure days.

So, ladies and gents of the H forums, which way would you go: 27, 31, or Bolide 1923?

Last edited:
I am 5’5”and have both the 27 and the 31. The 27 is epsom (rigid) and 31 is chevre. The 31 carry cross body at times with a longer strap. Epsom is light but a 31might stick out a bit being rigid. the 27 suits me best for my daily needs because i don’t carry much these days and it does work for business and evening events too. The 31 I prefer a softer style leather to mold a bit to the body. Please visit the Ode to Bolide thread in the Clubhouse.There are some great examples there. I can easily get my hand into the 27. Best to go try them on and decide which suits you best. The bolide is a terrific bag and I love carrying it.

0A07E635-FF9A-42B8-92CD-B6C6AC9E5D48.jpeg

I’ve had a 27 and a 1923, neither of which I was happy with in terms of the amount they hold or the fact it’s hard to get your arms into the handles. If you live in a climate where you need a coat that made it worse. I got rid of both and purchased a 31 and am very happy with it.

I am 5’5”and have both the 27 and the 31. The 27 is epsom (rigid) and 31 is chevre. The 31 carry cross body at times with a longer strap. Epsom is light but a 31might stick out a bit being rigid. the 27 suits me best for my daily needs because i don’t carry much these days and it does work for business and evening events too. The 31 I prefer a softer style leather to mold a bit to the body. Please visit the Ode to Bolide thread in the Clubhouse.There are some great examples there. I can easily get my hand into the 27. Best to go try them on and decide which suits you best. The bolide is a terrific bag and I love carrying it.

View attachment 4132424

Many thanks for this super helpful information! I am slowly making my way through the ode to bolide forum :smile:

I'm happy to hear that you have no problems getting in and out of your 27 Bolide Rigide. Gorgeous red color you have! Is it Rouge Casaque in Epsom?

I’ve had a 27 and a 1923, neither of which I was happy with in terms of the amount they hold or the fact it’s hard to get your arms into the handles. If you live in a climate where you need a coat that made it worse. I got rid of both and purchased a 31 and am very happy with it.

Terrific information. So helpful. Much appreciated. I don't wear coats except occasionally when traveling to colder climates. May I please know that the leather leather type on your 31?

Reactions: charlottebag
Thank you. I do like the more streamlined design lines of the 1923, but I have not yet seen it in real life. I wonder how it will fare long term as compared to the classic Bolide shape.

The order of the 3 main Bolides:

The Bolide 1923 was the original (from 1923) although the shoulder strap is newly added.
The Web Bolide 1923 is a similar shape but with a front pocket but has no strap.
The classic Bolide's patch was intended for personalisation and has a bit more height.

There are plenty more variations on these including the Secrete and Macpherson (a direct copy of an even older bag) Relax, rigides and travel size versions (the original was travel size).

I can't advise on the 31 or 27 as mine are 35(37) and 45 but take into consideration your lose depth as well as width and height as you go down in size, plus the wedge shape means a loss of volume towards the top of the bag.

Last edited:
The order of the 3 main Bolides:

The Bolide 1923 was the original (from 1923) although the shoulder strap is newly added.
The Web Bolide 1923 is a similar shape but with a front pocket but has no strap.
The classic Bolide's patch was intended for personalisation and has a bit more height.

There are plenty more variations on these including the Secrete and Macpherson (a direct copy of an even older bag) Relax, rigides and travel size versions (the original was travel size).

I can't advise on the 31 or 27 as mine are 35(37) and 45 but take into consideration your lose depth as well as width and height as you go down in size, plus the wedge shape means a loss of volume towards the top of the bag.

Fascinating chronology. Spot-on observations. Brilliant. Thank you.

I've been enjoying H craftsmanship for 35+ yrs and there's still so much to learn. Personally, I embrace learning as a lifelong pursuit. And I love that our tPF community is so generous when it comes to sharing the staggering amount of knowledge and experience accumulated by all.

Personally, I think a 31 Mou Bolide is the easiest bag to carry. It can go from day to night and still hold everything I need easily. It is lighter than a Kelly or Birkin of similar size. I also like that it’s under the radar.

Bolides are alo great if you like to hand carry your bags. Have fun with your SA.

I recently purchased a preloved 27, but it's away at the spa, so I can't model or help with ease of access/capacity.

Here are some websites that compare the sizes: http://www.featherfactor.com/2014/03/the-hermes-bolide-size-comparison-31-and-35.html and https://www.********.com/hermes-101-hermes-bolide-bag/ and https://www.vauntr.com/hermes-bolide-bag-review/ and https://brandlover.net/blogs/library/bolide.

Good luck with your choice! I can hardly wait to get mine back so I can start carrying her.

Last edited:
Reactions: lily28
I bought a Bolide 1923 (size 30) from Paris last week. Today is the first day I carry it to work. Couldn’t be happier!!!!

The first photo showing my new bag dressed up with twillies and petit H charm [emoji173]️
IMG_0604.jpg

The second photo showing the inside of the bag. I have put an organiser to protect the leather lining. As you can see it is very spacious. It holds my long wallet, card holder, phone, a pack of paper handkerchiefs, compact foundation, and there is still a lot of space left.
IMG_0614.jpg

My new bag is epsom leather, so the shape is rigid, which i love. And the colour is indigo blue [emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️ my favourite colour!!

Hope that helps!

Many thanks for this super helpful information! I am slowly making my way through the ode to bolide forum :smile:

I'm happy to hear that you have no problems getting in and out of your 27 Bolide Rigide. Gorgeous red color you have! Is it Rouge Casaque in Epsom?
My 27 is rouge grenat epsom. PT is spot on re: loss of volume with the size difference. Would definitely recoomend a 31 as a first bolide if you have concern re: capacity. And btw, I do not typically hand carry my bolides. I use the shoulder straps and enjoy using a custom canvas cross body strap for the 31 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.