First Birthday Bash

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. :biggrin:Hi mommies...
    any cool ideas for my baby first birthday bash (April's baby)
    any interesting theme? any idea to make the party interesting and unforgettable?
    TIA
    :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

2. Although it's 6 months away (!), my husband and I are starting to think about ideas too! We've decided to do a big thing at home, rather than Chuck E Cheese, Gymboree, etc. So far we've decided on an inflatable jump thing and a train that takes the kids for rides around the neighborhood. I'm not sure what else, but I too would love to hear the ideas everyone else has!

3. Boy or Girl? Home or away?

Jilly - The one reason I love birthdays at a venue is no clean up. Also, when you have a birthday at home people feel like they can come whenever they want and stay as long as they want. In theory it's great but I spent so much time at my son's 1st birthday just talking to people. I was exhausted after 2 hours.

4. for my daughter's first we had a reception at a local bbq restaurant. it was 4 hours and had tons of great food, sangria, desserts, etc. I hired a clown to come and a strawberry shortcake character. Also a caricature artist that drew everyone's caricature. it was great. i really wanted to go all out for the first birthday.

with my son, when he turned one, my daughter was 2 1/2 and i was worried about the whole restaurant party with her energy level. plus that birthday bash we did was like
    $2K so we opted to do a gymboree party for my son's first. Just had 8 kids and grandparents/aunts and uncles and it was great.

5. I did a huge bash at my house, and I kinda wished we had it somewhere! We ended up spending wayyy more as well since it rained and we bought tents and heating lamps!

As for ideas, we did a chocolate fountain, which everyone loved!

6. Thank you for all the replies.. Mine is baby boy He is 10 months now.. this coming April would be his birthday

iamsmilin i like the idea of partying at home too as people feel like they can come whenever they want and stay as long as they want.

hiring a clown might be a great idea... i loved to see kids smile and their laughter is wonderful feeling

7. Hi Sweetie! Your question sets me thinking for my daughter's 1st yr old party too! I found this and I think it might be helpful for u!

http://www.babycenter.com.sg/baby/traditions/1yrpartyguide/

Planning a birthday party for your one year old
    Written for BabyCentre UK

Send to a friend

Printable version

Who to invite

Getting the timing right

Games and activities

Choosing a venue

What food to serve

Choosing a theme

The party bags

Choosing presents

Top tips for a successful party

Your baby's first birthday is certainly something to celebrate. However, while you might want to throw a party and buy her a special present, don’t feel pressured into going over the top. Your baby won't appreciate such extravagance and small is definitely beautiful at this age!

Who to invite

At this closely-attached-to-mum stage, the best way you can make this a special day for your one year old is to give her lots of your undivided attention. Her social network will be small and intimate and that's how she likes it. She may be afraid of strangers and new places, so it’s wise to stick to just inviting close friends and family to your house.

If you do want to invite more people, you could ask some of your friends from your old antenatal or postnatal classes. Why not buy or make some really special invitations, as you won't need many for a small gathering.

Getting the timing right

By one, your baby may be used to having a nap during the day. The worst time for the excitement of a party is when your baby is tired, so afternoon tea, after nap time, works well. If you are inviting other babies, check out their nap times with their parents. Once one starts wailing, they all will! Keep the party brief because an hour or so is quite long enough at this age.

Games and activities

Loud bangs from party poppers and bursting balloons may frighten your baby, and discarded poppers and balloons are serious choking hazards, so leave them until next year. Why not have some musical fun instead, such as dancing with your baby, or putting on a nursery rhyme CD in the background.

She'll appreciate a few simple games, such as Row the boat or Round and round the garden, with plenty of tickles, too. She'll also enjoy peek-a-boo games, finding toys hidden in a box or under a cloth and, of course, helping you to open her presents. Do brace yourself for her being much more excited by the wrapping paper than the actual gifts! Party suppliers can also help you with suggestions and ideas. Many sell themed party packs and more.

Choosing a venue

Home is the place where your baby will feel most secure. She'll appreciate a few colourful decorations or, if you want to go for something more adventurous, you could buy a baby ball pool.

What food to serve

Keep food simple because most of it will probably end up on the floor anyway! Finger foods are excellent for both babies and adults, as eating them won't interrupt play or interaction. Parents may well have brought a bottle or feeder cup with the drink of choice for their baby, but have water, milk and diluted fruit juices at the ready. If you're providing food for the adults, keep it simple and avoid peanuts and other foods which may present a choking hazard to little ones.

Some babies will have quite a few teeth and be able to bite into food, while others may still be toothless, so cater for both extremes. Organic bread sticks, tiny sandwiches with cheese spread, cubes of mild cheese and mini fromage frais cartons are all good ideas. Chocolate fingers are scrummy, but messy, so plain biscuits may be a better choice. Jelly tends to be more of a play material at this age than a dessert. To be honest, your mini guests will probably eat very little food, so aim for a variety of taste, texture and colour rather than lots of it.

However, no party is complete without a birthday cake. You can either make one yourself or choose from a variety at a supermarket or bakery. Don't let your baby near the candle as she will want to grab, not blow, it.

Choosing a theme

Party themes aren't important to a one year old. You might want to aim for a colour-coordinated look, but it's more for the benefit of the photographs than your baby at this stage.

The party bags

Party bags are really unnecessary at this age, and the usual goodies like sweets and balloons are just dangerous. If you really want to give a going away present to your little guests, opt for a small, safe soft toy each or a board book.

Choosing presents

By now, your baby will appreciate anything that makes a noise, lights up, or both, so activity centres are a good choice. It's never too early to read, and textured board books are great fun for your tactile baby. A trolley, or push-along to aid walking skills will be popular, and new bath toys are always welcome. You may want to consider a big, lasting present, such as a baby swing for outdoors or a rocking horse. If you already have lots of toys, she won't object if some people buy her clothes instead. Check out our other present ideas.

Top tips for a successful party

Keep a very watchful eye on the party area for hazards, such as forks or small, easily swallowed objects, and clear them away quickly.

Make sure you have a willing volunteer to take plenty of photos or unobtrusively wield a camcorder because you'll be too busy!

Babies will play alongside each other, not together, so keep a variety of toys available within a large, safe floor space.

It's crawling, walking and climbing time, so stair gates and fireguards are essential.

Provide breastfeeding mums with somewhere quiet and private to feed if they wish.

Have somewhere clean, handy and well-equipped for nappy changing available.

Store away precious ornaments and breakables.

Keep pets well out of the way.

8. poshpearl... thank you for the link... im reading it now

9. Sorry, no helpful advice here. I am a firm believer in saving the big birthday bash until they are old enough to remember, comprehend, and appreciate it. With my two kids, we did small, family celebrations until they were three years-old. That's when I started planning, choosing themes, inviting lots of guests, etc. I will never forget my daughter's third birthday party, which was my first attempt at a big one. After everyone had left, she climbed up on my lap, gave me a hug, and said, "thanks for the great party, mom." SO worth it because I knew that she fully appreciated all of the hard work and effort I had put into it. Honestly, extravagant birthday parties for infants seem more for parents than they do for kids. I guess my only advice would be to keep in mind that little ones can become easily overwhelmed.
    Good luck with your planning and have fun with it. My DD is an April birthday too, so it makes for lovely, outside, spring parties here in the SE.

10. Not to spoil your fun but....my mother has pictures of me and my twin sister crying our eyeballs out at our first birthday party. Between all the people, noise and the flashing camera lights, we both broke down at the same time. My sister vomited up the little cake she ate. I feel the same way as vhdos does. But, it's an individual decision.

11. vhdos: thank you for sharing your thought :smile::smile:

Aslan : OMG thats the most scariest part.. my son can be overwhelmed sometimes

12. its true. I support small n meaningful parties too. my DH insisted on having a huge baby shower celebration when DD was 1 month old and it was too overwhelming for me and DD. I dun like to see my baby in another person's arms, esp if Im not even close to that person! (I cried when some random person (whom my MIL invited) snatched my baby over to carry) She got cranky too. But thank God she's smart. She would scream to resist and select people for her to carry and she also slept throughout the afternoon when most guests arrive!

So for her first year old, after reading the guidelines I've found, I think it will be great to have my own family members and invite my friends who are mothers too. and have a nice gathering, photographs the babies together as part of my DD's first friends.

13. I actually had about 50 people for my DS's first birthday. It was great for us. He had a really good time and got to play with a bunch of little kids. It really depends on the family what you feel like doing. I do agree that a first birthday is pretty much for the parents but it is a great time for everyone to come together.

Sweetie - Here are my thoughts on party items based on my experiences. Im also going to assume you will have kids that range in age.

Theme - The theme should be simple. I always went with a character that my son was into and got a character cake and did napkins/plates/decorations in similar colors.

Party Favors - If you get an accurate list of who is coming, try to get age appropriate party favors. Oriental Trading Company is great if you plan on having a lot of kids, esp if they tend to be a little older. You can always save any extras for Halloween.

Invitations: Email invitations are pretty easy to send out and keep track of. I personally liked sending out little cards to the kids. I addressed them to Mr./Miss Child's Name. Kids love getting mail. I also saved a copy of the invitations for his memory album.

Entertainment/Games - If you get a clown you will want some activities before and after for the kids. What has worked before was "projects". My brother went to Michael's to get a few foam doorhangers and a bunch of sticky foam pieces in letters, animals etc. Let the kids go crazy and create their own little projects. My friends also get bouncers which works great when the kids get hyper. You just send them outside and let them go crazy.

Food: Easy food is pizza, hot dogs, etc. An old fashioned popcorn popper and cotton candy machine is great if you wanna go with the clown/circus theme.

Gifts: I wouldn't open any gifts during the party. It gets too hectic. After we opened all of our gifts, we gathered them and had my son put in the middle. We took the picture and used it as a thank you card.

The big thing to remember is to enjoy yourself and make sure your DS is ok. If he gets tired let him nap and don't push him to participate in everything. That is all I can think of for now.

14. I definitely agree with what vhdos has said. At 1 year old they are really not interested in parties. Children that age get easily overwhelmed and at this stage many of them like to cling to mom so having tons of people may not be such a great idea. A clown may actually scare he kids instead of entertaining them. For my oldest daughter we had a small family first birthday. Saved the huge one for her 5th birthday! We were always travelling on her birthday so when we got the chance to actually throw her a big birthday party she had a blast! She is a September baby and the weather was great. We had a princess theme party with a jumpy house in the back yard and tons of activities for the kids outside. She really enjoyed it! For my youngest we had a huge first birthday party. The theme was sesame street. She seemed to have fun, but of course was not old enough to realize that the party was for her!

15. #15 Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
    aww, how cute, that is so awesome that she thanked you like that!!

and ITA about saving the fancy stuff for when they're a little older. i went to a somewhat extravagant 1st birthday party for the son of a friend, and the poor kid was crying his head off most of the time, especially when it came time for everyone to gather around and sing "happy birthday" , because he was just soo overwhelmed/overstimulated by the number of people there (at least 30 people) and plus all the noise, decorations, strange people etc. i agree that it's better to save the more extravagant parties until they're at least old enough to remember and not be traumatized/overwhelmed by everything.

and i agree with everything posh re: the clown (or other people in costume)...u have to be careful since for really little kids (under 3) it may be more scary than fun. last year i went to a big birthday bash for my niece's 2nd birthday, which was mickey mouse themed since she loved mickey mouse. they hired someone to come over dressed as Mickey and do tricks/balloons for the kids. as soon as he came out she burst into tears and ran off and wouldn't come out of her room until he left..she was sooo scared of him. some kids are ok with it though, it just depends. i would just be wary of these things so you are not disappointed if the kid doesn't enjoy some things as u might have hoped/expected them to.