First Birkin. Suggestion if I have a limit spending $$$

claudiakarr

Sep 8, 2018
hi everyone. So I have been searching for months on my first Birkin. I saved and have €5500.00.available ( about $5500.00). I have been looking on Vestiare and eBay. eBay Japan seems to be the place where I can get a bag for my available amount. Vestiaire also has a bag I am eyeing, but unfortunately they are not replying to my emails to confirm the color of the bag. Listed with the wrong color in the description and nothing like on photo. What are your thoughts on buying a 5k bag from Japan? I have read the forums and it seems mostly LV are purchased from Japan, with prices not as high as a Birkin.
Thanks for advise.

My suggestion is to be patient and save some to add to what you already have. A Birkin especially your first should be special, what you really want and in excellent condition. I don’t think you can achieve that for 5k anywhere.
Thank you. I was afraid that is the answer I would get and know it's true. I keep saving but I won't give up hope.

With a purchase of this amount of cash you’ll need some guarantees, such as a good return policy and some way of ensuring authenticity. Neither of your current options appear to offer that so please don’t do it! Heed the advice already given.
Thank you. I am very careful and have always got any of the bags i have come across to an online authentifiaction service. Unfortunately the bag was sold by the time i got the authentification

Reactions: Diamondbirdie
I agree with Rouge H.

Birkins in good condition don't cost $5K. It's probably around $10K. If you want a 35CM, you can get one for less money as it is currently not as hot as a 25 or 30. But larger bags are coming back in Vogue. If you want a 25 or 30, then you are going to need to save more.

But wait for the right bag. Birkins can be a life time purchase. If you are near an Hermes, check out different leathers colors, etc. It's unlikely that store's will have a display Birkin, but you can get a feel for the leathers and colors.

If you buy from a vendor from Japan or any foreign country, you will need to factor in any customs or duties. Don't mess around with this. I've heard horror stories about people or vendors who try to get around this and bags get stuck in customs with large fines -- a mess.

Good luck!!!

Pls be aware if you buy a bag outside the EU you will have to pay VAT plus customs duty. Depending on where you are based in Europe this could make up more than 20% of the price the bag is listed at. My advise: Visit the webpage of your country's customs office to learn how much would be added to a bag coming, for instance, from Japan.
(I am aware that in US bags are often directly delivered to the customer without VAT and customs charges - howeve, this is very different in a number of European countries!)

Pls be aware if you buy a bag outside the EU you will have to pay VAT plus customs duty. Depending on where you are based in Europe this could make up more than 20% of the price the bag is listed at. My advise: Visit the webpage of your country's customs office to learn how much would be added to a bag coming, for instance, from Japan.
(I am aware that in US bags are often directly delivered to the customer without VAT and customs charges - howeve, this is very different in a number of European countries!)
Thanks all for the input. For s 5 K bag i pay an addl 1500 in impot tax and customs fee ( austria).That money is already in a separate pot.

I agree with Rouge H.

Birkins in good condition don't cost $5K. It's probably around $10K. If you want a 35CM, you can get one for less money as it is currently not as hot as a 25 or 30. But larger bags are coming back in Vogue. If you want a 25 or 30, then you are going to need to save more.

But wait for the right bag. Birkins can be a life time purchase. If you are near an Hermes, check out different leathers colors, etc. It's unlikely that store's will have a display Birkin, but you can get a feel for the leathers and colors.

If you buy from a vendor from Japan or any foreign country, you will need to factor in any customs or duties. Don't mess around with this. I've heard horror stories about people or vendors who try to get around this and bags get stuck in customs with large fines -- a mess.

Good luck!!!
So the good news is i prefer a 35 birkin :smile: