First Birkin purchase from a reseller

oac

Jun 18, 2020
I'm looking at buying a Birkin as a gift for my fiancée. In a normal world we would have been married by now, so it's been a bit of a rough year - time for a treat!

I'm unlikely to ever build up the relationship with Hermes that would be needed for them to offer me one, so I'm looking at various resellers with stock in the UK. (I play 'the game' with certain car manufacturers to be asked to buy their limited ranges, I don't have the time or desire to engage in the same game with Hermes and I have a lot of respect for anyone who does!!)

I'm only looking at completely new bags that have never been worn, still in box.

The options I have narrowed down to are:
Black togo 30 w/ ghw 2020
Feu togo 30 w/ ghw 2020
Capucine togo 35 HSS w/ ghw 2015

I have used this forum pretty much exclusively as my source of all Hermes information, but there are a few things that I couldn't find an answer to!

I understand that HSS bags rarer and therefore command a higher price. But what if the modifications to it are pretty tame? E.g. no contrasting interior, no bi/tricolour, just pocket relocations? Would this still be more desirable than an 'off the shelf' Birkin? I'd guess that regardless an HSS would still hold its value better over time.

Do Hermes turn their nose up at customers that have bought bags via a 3rd party if they need to go back for repair or otherwise? Especially in the case of a HSS bag that in their eyes should have been for one specific customer?

Which of the bags that I posted is most classic/timeless as an Hermes bag colour combination?

If you were to guess the resale price for each (brand new in box), what would you say?

I've only looked at reputable resellers that i've found through this site, but I'll still likely be posting in the authentication section shortly!

Many thanks in advance!

aisham

Sep 15, 2014
I'm looking at buying a Birkin as a gift for my fiancée. In a normal world we would have been married by now, so it's been a bit of a rough year - time for a treat!
First of all , I think what you are doing is very nice . But make sure that you buy from a reseller that has a return police or exchange.

The options I have narrowed down to are:
Black togo 30 w/ ghw 2020
Feu togo 30 w/ ghw 2020
Capucine togo 35 HSS w/ ghw 2015
did you make this list according to what she wants ? I think you can never go wrong with black bag or neutral color . Orange might not be for everyone .But on the other hand I would take orange or any other color I love over a neutral . So it is a personal thing. Some ladies find a Birkin 30 with ghw a holy grail but I don't .

I understand that HSS bags rarer and therefore command a higher price. But what if the modifications to it are pretty tame? E.g. no contrasting interior, no bi/tricolour, just pocket relocations? Would this still be more desirable than an 'off the shelf' Birkin? I'd guess that regardless an HSS would still hold its value better over time.
HSS is not that spacial I think unless it is the exact combo she wants or if it was in a leather/color/ hardware that can't be found on normal bags . What makes me worry is that bag is in size 35 which is big . It might be very heavy too . But a lot of ladies here love it . Also Capucine is not in high demand . I would pass on this bag . Also it's from 2015 so no comparison to 2020 bags . HSS bags resell for more than normal bags because it is not offered to anybody and the waiting period for it to arrive. But the retail price is exactly the same as any other bag in the same specs .

Do Hermes turn their nose up at customers that have bought bags via a 3rd party if they need to go back for repair or otherwise? Especially in the case of a HSS bag that in their eyes should have been for one specific customer?
No never ! they would repair and spa any hermes bag as long as it is Orignal .

Which of the bags that I posted is most classic/timeless as an Hermes bag colour combination?
B 30 black GHW

If you were to guess the resale price for each (brand new in box), what would you say?
This is what I think they should resell for

Black togo 30 w/ ghw 2020 12,000 £
Feu togo 30 w/ ghw 2020 11,500 £
Capucine togo 35 HSS w/ ghw 2015 9200 £

auntynat

O.G.
Apr 13, 2009
Well answered by Aisham, I would just add don’t be tempted by the lure of a special order, especially if you want or are paying a premium for a ‘new’ bag as even if never worn, the how and where a bag is stored can have an impact on it And this one has been stored for four years. 30cm is the safest size if you want it to be used often, but both 1 and 2 are amazing choices depending on her style, which you will be best placed to judge. And as mentioned hopefully you will not need it, but to be safe the option to return is key. A lovely thing to do, good luck and do post the outcome!

• Love
Reactions: oac and aisham

oac

Jun 18, 2020
Thank you @aisham and @auntynat - that's super helpful.

The orange wasn't a wild stab in the dark, it's a colour that really suits her and she has a lot of black bags, but maybe for the first Birkin it wouldn't hurt to have one more black bag!

I'll likely go with a 2020 black Birkin 30 with ghw then.

Thanks again for your help. If anyone is aware of any reputable resellers with this bag in stock in the UK then I'd love to know!

tbbbjb

O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
@oac
Aww. Very sweet! I really like what you are trying to do for your fiancée. The only thing that I want to add is I’m not sure just how realistic it is to be able to obtain a 2020 date stamped handbag right now. With all the stores and factory shutdowns, it seems like that inventory wouldn’t be out. Here’s an example, I purchased a pretty coveted B30 from FSH (this is the flagship store in Paris) in April of 2019 and it had a 2018 date stamp. This was fresh from the store and I am well aware that they do not have inventory just sitting around. So, I just think maybe a 2019 may be a bit more realistic but maybe others can chime in as to what year stamp they have been offered fresh from the store. Then you have to account for it getting to the resellers etc.

Good Luck on your search!

Reactions: MaseratiMomma