First Birkin, please help me choose from 2 options!

Mimicatz

Sep 11, 2016
Hi everyone, my HG Birkin is size 30, Black in Togo leather and PHW.

My SA emailed me and I have the following bags to choose from:
  1. Birkin size 30, Black in Togo leather, rose gold hardware
  2. Birkin size 30, Etain in Togo leather, PHW
My HG bag sits right in the middle of these 2 offers. What are your thoughts on these bags? Your opinions and advice are much appreciated to help me choose!

Reactions: CMilly
I would choose Black with RGHW, as the hardware is not as obvious as GHW, which I assume you prefer since your preference is PHW (RGHW is also very special IMO), unless you also like Etain and envision wanting it in the future, in that case (as long as your preference is PHW with Etain), I would take the Etain and wait for your HG black with PHW. Etain seems to be a really nice true gray this season, no brown undertones. If you do take the black with RGHW, are you always going to wish for PHW? My first offer was black with PHW, I always wished for black with GHW, and ultimately sold it.

If you are a PHW person, and the Etain is a nice true gray as it seems to be this season, that's a special color that will serve the purpose of a black bag. But if only a black Birkin will suit, the RGHW is a little different and I find mixing rose gold with palladium to be fine. You really cannot lose either way.

You ask us to help you choose...so you hg is black phw and I ask why phw? Because of jewellery? The more edgy modern look? If phw is a must then pls wait for your dreambag, they are not so rare especially in togo. If you lack the patience and especially if you plan to buy more Bs (your topic says f i r s t birkin) then I would choose etain. I would not compromise on a hg even if I think rghw is cute. Etain is a gorgeous neutral, so a lot depends on how firm you are about the hw, how patient/ impatient you are and if you plan to buy more bags besides your hg and if you would love neutrals or go for colour for your next bag. With H you need to be patient.

Thank you all for your advice :P

I primarily wear silver and white gold jewellery, hence my preference is a PHW Birkin. I have a few pieces of rose gold jewellery so I'm not against RGHW for a bag.

Having considered your advice and done more research online, I'm leaning very much towards the black in RGHW. A black birkin is a must to me. I am hoping that this will not be the only Birkin I own. My SA is lovely, she said take a couple of days to think about it but I can only put 1 on hold for me to see it and then decide. Feels like I should either go with the RGHW or wait and see if one with PHW will become available (been waiting for about 9 months and it's not available)

For those who have been in a situation like this one, please share your thoughts and wisdom on how you made your decision? :biggrin::heart:

Last edited:
Reactions: Etriers
If it's not a one and only bag, then I would hold the noir/RGHW and go see it in person. When I bought my first non-vintage Kelly, I had a choice of Raisin (a color I LOVE) with GHW and Gold with PHW (I already had a Gold Birkin). I thought I would take the Raisin, which WAS gorgeous, but the second I saw the Gold I was in love.
I too am a PHW person but I do have rose gold jewelry I wear every day and I think it mixes well.
You can never go wrong with a black Birkin (I have two lol). When you see it, you will know. If it makes you excited and happy, take it home. If your heart sinks, at all, even the teeniest bit, then wait :flowers:

I’d go for the black with RGHW. I generally prefer PHW but RGHW this season is really nice. Personally I got an etain B25 w/ RGHW and black K25 w PHW this year and while I love this season’s etain, I find myself using my black K a lot more. Black is not just versatile but more low-key so it’d be easier to carry as your first bag.

9 months it not a long wait, with H you need patience as I already said. My black Bs are my most used bags, I would wait for the phw but definitely go and check out the rghw and you might change your hg status. Good luck deciding :smile:

Reactions: lxrac and Mimicatz