First Birkin, but I need advice (do I ever...)

Hi, Jedimaster.Would I be happy with etoupe chevre if by waiting a little longer I could have ordered etoupe box? I think so. I think I'd get etoupe box in...plume elan. I promised my husband I'd buy one birkin. I don't remember promising him I'd buy one bag.
And now I have to do the slow don't-even-think-of-asking-for-a-birkin-until-they-know-you thing. Well, the bright side is, if it takes long enough, it probably will be available in box.

I am a "cool" person too (Prescriptives calls me an "extra cool light blue red") and I know what you mean about this color. I was actually looking at it for a second kelly (I am waiting for black) or fourth birkin (yes, I know, someone should shoot me). Really really good choice in my opinion (and I agree, the chevre is beautiful). I think once you visit a Hermes store this will go quicker than you think. They have to tell you "a year" just so you can be pleasantly surprised. I really think that, once you go in, talk to a SA, look at the leather book....you will have a bag by the end of the year, maybe even by the fall. They really do want to sell the bags - its just that they have to see you are a bona fide customer and spend some time with you.

Jedi - That's the most encouraging and welcome news...I'm going to go shopping next week. It sounds as if we like all the same colors - adore blue-based reds. violet-based blues, taupe, black, all the cool colors. And I can't carry off the honey/caramel spectrum at all. I love Barenia naturale, just think it is out of this world, and I can't wear it. So when etoupe showed up, I began to think I could do this after all.
Hermes - I don't do anything technical on a computer until my sons are around to do it for me...I totally understand, but how wonderful to be the owner of the prettiest bag you've ever seen. That's a happy ending.

Thank you all for the fast and expert advice, and if I have progress to report, I will!

one little note, i've noticed that some people wear their 35 birkins with the flap open and tucked inside and have the straps done...so no batwings even with soft leathers like clemence and swift. i think you might be able to get in and out of the bag this way too. i think it's a very tidy look. that might solve your issues with batwings. can't say that it would solve the slouching up and down.

i personally think etoupe is very nice in togo. if it's an everyday bag, it would be very durable...a true workhorse. togo i hear doesn't have the slouchy factor as well (unless you've got an offbeat togo that wants to slouch from the get go like one member posted here). another vote for chevre too. gorgeous sheen, stiff, durable...