Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Old medium Boy in metallic navy RHW

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Classic flap Quilted black caviar GHW jumbo

Votes: 36 78.3%

• Total voters

MrsJLin

Sep 29, 2017
I know, I know here goes another Chanel newbie . I’ve purchased a couple of SLGs and think I’m ready to take the step towards making a big purchase. So what should it be? I’ve narrowed it down to 3. I’m able to get my hands on a jumbo CF in that yummy iridescent light Gold Chevron but is it worth it? I know the the color is sold out but is the jumbo the “it” bag or is it more the minis and mediums? TIA.

Get the one that you love & will get most use from. Most user would stick to cf or mini due to the size & price point. Jumbo can be overwhelmingly large&heavy to some. But I've known some people love jumbo & they rock it well. & it does look amazing on them.

So go with what You love. If you buy something that others define as 'it' bag, you might fall out of love for it sooner or later.

Thank you! It’s just so hard to decide and it’s definitely not cheap. I was a LV girl and have since realized they don’t hold their value and have lost interest in them. I’m upset that after all the money spent on their bags, similar to a car as soon as you leave the lot/store it loses its value. So I have now converted to Chanel. I started with some SLGs and now I want a bag but I just don’t want something that’s going to go out of style and not be in high demand (if that makes sense) should I want to sell sometime down the road. But thank you, I’m a little worried about the jumbo being too big too, but that light Gold is calling my name . I just wish I wasn’t late to he game as usual

I don’t think you can wrong with the Jumbo, it’s a Chanel classic. If you have an opportunity to go and try one on I’d suggest that, but I honestly don’t think the Jumbo looks overpowering. I’m 5’5” and I LOVE mine! I bought the back caviar with SHW earlier this year and wear it with jeans, t shirt and my Chanel espadrilles as well as with my work attire.

The black caviar jumbo with GHW was my first. My husband gave it to me as my wedding gift. When we had went in store I tried putting my daily items in both that and the medium and loved how I didn't need to cram everything into the jumbo (daily items are my iPhone 6s with a semi bulky case, small wallet, card case, pill case, a small jar of Vaseline, and sunglasses. When I tried to put them in the medium I had to do it like a puzzle so they would all JUST fit.

I think it also depends on what your intention for the bag is. If you want it for random daily use then I would definitely go for the jumbo. If you want it just for fancy occasions you'll probably need less to carry and medium or smaller would be more suitable.

The jumbo is my favorite Chanel bag! But if I were you I'd really think about the light gold chevron. If you see yourself loving it for years to come, go for it!!

I don’t think you can wrong with the Jumbo, it’s a Chanel classic. If you have an opportunity to go and try one on I’d suggest that, but I honestly don’t think the Jumbo looks overpowering. I’m 5’5” and I LOVE mine! I bought the back caviar with SHW earlier this year and wear it with jeans, t shirt and my Chanel espadrilles as well as with my work attire.
I’m thinking of going jumbo. Is there a L between the medium and jumbo? I’ve never really liked small bags for daily use and I will use it regularly.

The black caviar jumbo with GHW was my first. My husband gave it to me as my wedding gift. When we had went in store I tried putting my daily items in both that and the medium and loved how I didn't need to cram everything into the jumbo (daily items are my iPhone 6s with a semi bulky case, small wallet, card case, pill case, a small jar of Vaseline, and sunglasses. When I tried to put them in the medium I had to do it like a puzzle so they would all JUST fit.

I think it also depends on what your intention for the bag is. If you want it for random daily use then I would definitely go for the jumbo. If you want it just for fancy occasions you'll probably need less to carry and medium or smaller would be more suitable.
I want it for daily use. What’s the point in paying that much to use it occasionally right?! ;)
The jumbo is my favorite Chanel bag! But if I were you I'd really think about the light gold chevron. If you see yourself loving it for years to come, go for it!!
I know that’s my problem I like colors that aren’t always classic and then I’m stuck with a trendy color for years to come that may be hard to get rid of. I think it’s better to play it safe and stick with black.

I did want to ask you ladies if you felt it was comfortable to wear for a long period of time. I also have 2 small children and although I don’t carry a diaper bag (I’m a minimalist when it comes to packing for kids :biggrin:) but I do have one that likes to be held. Do you find the thin strap of the Classic to be uncomfortable after a little while?

I’m thinking of going jumbo. Is there a L between the medium and jumbo? I’ve never really liked small bags for daily use and I will use it regularly.

I want it for daily use. What’s the point in paying that much to use it occasionally right?! ;)

I know that’s my problem I like colors that aren’t always classic and then I’m stuck with a trendy color for years to come that may be hard to get rid of. I think it’s better to play it safe and stick with black.

I did want to ask you ladies if you felt it was comfortable to wear for a long period of time. I also have 2 small children and although I don’t carry a diaper bag (I’m a minimalist when it comes to packing for kids :biggrin:) but I do have one that likes to be held. Do you find the thin strap of the Classic to be uncomfortable after a little while?

You could do black, or maybe get another seasonal color? A red or blue maybe? Haha. The light gold is pretty, but I just feel like you might get tired of the metallic color after a while. But hey, if you think it's a color you'll use over and over again then go for it! And the jumbo can get heavy after a long day of lugging it around, but honestly you get pretty used to it. :]

The Jumbo is classic and you will have an amazing Chanel bag in your collection! I have read this quote on tpf before one of my favorite buy the bag you truly love as though it’s your one and only Chanel bag to your collection and with that said you will always pick the one that work best for your lifestyle.

Reactions: MrsJLin
You can't go wrong with a black caviar jumbo. It's timeless.

Also, I have a young kid and one on the way. The straps on a Jumbo might dig in on a long adventure, but I find it comfortable to carry if you don't overstuff it!

It depends on your height and lifestyle. Ultimately you should get Chanel because you love it not just because of resell values, and there might be bags in your collection that you would never want to sell?

It depends on your height and lifestyle. Ultimately you should get Chanel because you love it not just because of resell values, and there might be bags in your collection that you would never want to sell?
I don’t plan to sell them. But in the event that I do I want to know that it not worth less than half of what I bought it for ya know. Maybe it’s a mental thing ‍♀️.

I voted black caviar jumbo for you since you want the option of resale down the road, I think black caviar GHW classic flap is always going to one of the easiest to sell and retain the most value and always be sought after. There might be trendier bags that become hot and sell for over retail, but it's hard to know which ones those will be and how long people will be looking for them, they can look dated quickly.

But really you should just get the bag you like the best! Wait until you are sure, I wouldn't spend this much money on something you aren't excited about. I really like the Boy bags, I'd like to get one someday, I know they probably aren't worth what they cost though considering they are almost as much as a classic flap. I do think the leather insert on the Boy strap though would make it a lot more wearable for me. I have a few Rebecca Minkoff Affairs and also Love Crossbodies, the Affairs have the chain/leather woven straps like Chanel classic flaps and Loves have straps like the Boy. The Affairs definitely dig even when I don't have much in the bag, and it does this carried single strap or doubled up, doesn't really matter. And I know they are lighter bags than Chanel classic flaps given they are lined in fabric.

Given that you want to carry the bag everyday, perhaps another way to see it is are you able to pair the bag, say if it's gold jumbo with almost every outfit in your wardrobe? Bear in mind lighter colours are a bit harder to maintain.

Im similar in that I love colourful bags but somehow ended up with a few blacks, not the most "exciting" but they're very practical easier to maintain and go well with everything. If you're a minimalist what about just Medium cf or even the Gabrielle?