First “Big Girl” Bag - Reveal Post

cmitch92

Oct 2, 2018
Hi everyone! First reveal post - sorry if it reads a bit lengthy!

I first discovered Céline about eight years ago: through an adorable black nano luggage tote one of the fashion bloggers I followed had just received. I was finishing up high school at the time and while I deeply admired the bag and it’s sophisticated yet refreshing style in comparison to other luxury bags, I told myself there was no way I could ever afford such a luxury and focused on college.

Over the next few years, I would continue to see the bag pop up across Pinterest, Insta, and the fashion blogosphere. I continued to admire from afar, until I moved to New York City to begin my career path. A little background: I am originally from a small town in the South, where most people have never even heard of Céline. With a major in graphic design (and a brief stint in architecture), I began to take notice of the structured, minimalist bags I saw on the arms of people within the city. At the street corner, I would squint to read the label if I could... and found that all the bags that grabbed my eye, had the same brand in common: Céline.

I began researching the brand online, and over time, fell even more in love with Phoebe Philo’s designs and the refreshing take on classic elegance.

I should add: I am not one to spend frivolously, or drop hundreds or thousands of dollars for the sake of a brand name. I do, however, believe in investing for the things you truly love or find valuable. I had just started earning my own money, paying my own rent and bills, but I set a goal in mind: to set a little bit outside of my expenses and additional savings, and purchase my first “big girl” bag for my 25th birthday.

Late last winter, I visited the Céline store in Soho for the first time to try the luggage tote on for size and color. Naturally, I fell in love with a classic box behind the counter made with stingray — but balked at the price. I had almost enough to purchase a luggage tote that day, but wasn’t yet ready to make the decision. I walked away, starry-eyed and empty-handed, and resolved my first bag purchase for another day.

Since then, I’ve worked hard, taken on extra freelance projects, saved every bit of cash I can spare. I’ve kept a careful eye online on reputable resale websites, and held off on a few impulse purchases, as I don’t want to put anything on my credit card that I can’t immediately pay off. I was fortunate enough to also pitch and land my first large project for an international client this summer, and I landed my first big raise - that helped to boost me right up to what I needed.

That being said, it has only been within the last two months that I have had enough to put down on anything, and with the Céline craze being in full swing this year, my lovely SA informed me that there was no stingray in stock anywhere in NY, and they were not likely to be receiving anymore but would keep an eye out. I walked away to think on a few other options in mind that I had tried on, and to once more browse the resale market. In my desperation, I made a post in the “Seeking” section of the Shopping Subforum.

One morning, I woke up and absently checked Fashionphile to find — the same bag I had fallen in love with last year, a Medium Classic Box in Navy Stingray (later I discovered another forum member was actually kind enough to link me as well.) I couldn’t believe it! I sat up and zoomed in on all pictures of the bag, checking for any scratches or anything out of place. I ran across the room to grab my credit card, practically floating... except that when I returned, I was unable to add the bag to my shopping cart.

It had been bought out from under me.

I was DEVASTATED. I could barely concentrate at work the rest of the day, thinking I had missed my last chance to snag my dream bag. As it turns out, I had one package of samples to deliver to a client uptown late in the afternoon and while walking home afterward, I dropped by BG on a whim.

Lo and behold: behind a glass display in the Céline section, sat a bag that surpassed my wildest dreams. A Medium Classic Box in Maroon Stingray. Have you ever seen a bag that you just knew was meant to be yours? The SA caught my gaze and unlocked the case without even asking, and offered me the opportunity to try her on.

I was absolutely over the moon. While I have always been a neutral color girl, maroon has always been my absolute favorite color. I remarked to the SA that I had never even known Céline to make a stingray bag in this color, and he said they had only received one in his entire time of working there and believed it to be quite rare.

Like I said earlier, I’m not one to spend frivolously by nature. But I believe in paying the money for something quality, something timeless, something that is of personal value to you. While the price was still a little hard to swallow, I take a lot of pride in the fact that I have worked hard, saved up, and kept my focus for something so incredibly special. I have been over the moon ever since.

Introducing...

53808429-6A11-4454-9EE6-F29BC0E52FC7.jpeg 613C5255-EFAC-44EF-96AC-7D050AE06B75.jpeg 14774637-4C0B-41AF-BE14-7CC65F524828.jpeg D4A75EA4-E154-4768-9B2D-A2FDA2AB380F.jpeg

I love your story so much, it surely put a little happy in what was a dull day at work today for me. Super happy you got your dream bag. Shows s that dreams really do come true. My journey to getting my first LV is kinda like yours. I longed and dreamt of a LV since high school 10 years ago, but couldn’t fathom spending so much for a handbag, after all I bought a Coach bag easily, liked but never really thought about buying an LV. I eyed some new designs from Coach stores yearly, usually around the holiday season; I like to buy myself a me gift every year, a nice present for myself..I thought about it, a instead of buying each year, I’ll set aside thatpurchase money yearly to get one that is super worth it. And now I’m about to get my Neverfull PM, I’ll have it just in time for the holidays this year.

Thank you all so much for the kind words and compliments — even now, I’m still on Cloud 9 with my new sidekick, and I was so excited to share!

I’m incredibly humbled that quite a few of you enjoyed the story — I was a bit worried I was setting up for a novel there! Nonetheless, I really appreciate everyone who took the time to read the thread in its entirety: you ladies are troopers!!