First Balenciaga!

polo1980

May 27, 2009
Hi all
I have narrowed it down to two purses for my first balenciaga purse..

I decided for my first one it should be black especially since i want the blue color coming out this spring....
So im thinking of the black city '09 or Black work '09. Online these colors look slightly gray does anyone have pics of these two?

What do people think? How big are these bags im pretty tall so size doesn't matter but i dont want the bag to look too small like a first..

beauxgoris

O.G.
Mar 17, 2006
I think it depends on how much you carry and how you like to carry your bags. I think a black city should be in everyone's collection as it's the *perfect* Balenciaga bag imo. You can carry it by the handles on the crook of your arm - or use the strap for when you need to be hands free. It's really my favorite Balenciaga style and the most classic style of all.

The work is like a big oversized city, except no shoulder strap. If you have skinny arms you can wear it over your shoulder - but some people don't like to do this since it puts the bag right under your armpit. So it's basically a crook of the arm bag, which can be tiring depending on how much you carry in in.

My vote is the city for a first bag. The work is a better 2nd bag or later bag JMO.

Apr 19, 2009
I vote city because the work seems just to big to me. I agree with beauxgoris that the city has more options when it comes to carrying it.

rhogiela

Apr 20, 2008
Los Angeles
i personally think the work would be a great choice. but, i'm fairly biased because i love my work's...it's light-weight and holds a TON.

both choices are marvelous though. good luck!

MoBags

Jun 2, 2009
i'm tall too (5'9") and i have a city and a part time which is slightly larger than city. i would say go for city it is perfect perfect perfect in every way. shouldn't be too small for you and it holds a ton!!!
and all the black ones i have seen have been pretty saturated and not gray at all...
are you thinking classic or giant hardware? good luck!!

polo1980

May 27, 2009
Thanks for all the help! I am thinking for the first- classic hardware!!

I think i may get the city!But i do like the work....:smile:

polo1980

May 27, 2009
I hate to ask this question.. are the differences in the blacks (leather,etc) depending on the year? Are some years better than others? and finally is buying one from the balenciaga on-line better or should one buy from the store and have it shipped..

i know a lot of ?s im sorry :smile:

leliz

Jul 20, 2009
I think city is a great one for your first! As for your other question, I'm curious to see what people say because I am planning on getting my first Balenciaga soon too!

LJS58

O.G.
Jul 8, 2009
The biggest decision is whether or not you want a shoulder strap. If you use a shoulder strap, then either the city or the part time. If not, then maybe a work. The city holds a lot, more than it looks like it will. The part time is like a city, but wider east-west. I like big bags, but I'm short, so the part time seemed a bit wide for me.

I tried on the work and it is a very big bag. You are tall, so I'm sure it would look stunning on you, but it really is not a shoulder bag, especially with a coat. I am small, and it was a very tight fit over my shoulder. Hope this helps, and I'd love to see pics of the bag you choose. :smile:

Lulette

Jul 17, 2006
Southern California
I'd go for the city, it's my favorite out of the two. My city is black, and there are no gray tones. I wouldn't classify it as "jet", but it's saturated black nonetheless. As far as my experience with F/W '09 leather goes, unfortunately my city began drying out in certain areas within a weeks use, but apple guard conditioner is amazing and "filled out" the leather and it is very soft again :sweatdrop:

Alpha007

Jul 2, 2009
I think the work is amazing! I really like oversized handbags and especially if you are tall it looks great!
Buying online seems to be a great option.
I did order from the Balenciaga online shop and they are quick, efficient and you can return your bag if you change your mind
Good luck!!

umimaddicted

To Bal bags
O.G.
Oct 18, 2006
Your height will allow you to wear so many different styles. It does depend on how you like to carry your bags. If you like a shoulder bag or like to carry mostly by the handles etc. The new Club bag is also a choice now and the PomPom. With your height you can carry any style. The first would be too small though. I have also bought from Nordstrom's and have been very happy with their customer service! There are two stores in the US that sell them and they ship. You always have your Nordstrom return policy and get Nordstrom bucks still too. Just another choice of where to buy. If you buy from an SA at any store, at least you can ask questions about the leather and deepness of black etc. If you buy from the online store, you don't know what you are getting. I bought my black city from online Bal and am extremely happy with it though!