First Balenciaga- City or Day

leliz

Jul 20, 2009
I'm hoping to get my first Bal in a few weeks. I've always wanted a City but lately I really love the Day too. Any suggestions? I'm tall so either suit me.
This will probably be the last Bal for a while so I want to make the right decision!
Also, I'm a little nervous because some of the Bal's I've looked at in person- the leather feels extremely thin. From your experience do Bal's stand up to continuous long-term use? I will do everything I can to protect the leather but I do know I'll be using it almost daily for a long time!

Thanks for the help!

yes.. they hold up extremely well.. i think they look better with age... as for the city verses day, both will look stunning. i would say the day is easier to carry, and holds more, but in my opinion is slightly more casual. the city will hold a little less, but is perhaps more versatile because of the different carrying options, the handles and the shoulder strap. but i guess perhaps with the baby on the way... the day would be better, you may need both hands free... and less tassels to worry about. good luck!!

I was kind of leaning towards the day too just for practicality; I think it'll be easier to keep on my shoulder than the city. I hadn't thought of all the extra tassles either...that's a good point! Thank you!

Congratulations on your new to be baby! I am a mother with both bags. A day and a City. I have to say that the day wins my vote hands down. It is so easy to fit a lot of things in it. I throw my stuff in and literally go (I have a 1.8 year old) and a 5 year old. This bag is my go to bag. I adore the style.

i'm new here but I also own both a city and a (newly acquired) day....I have hardly used my city since I had my DD, but I"ve been using my day ever since I got it and it's super convenient, esp. when you're hauling that car seat all over the place!

I would definitely go for the CITY. It is so cute and it drapes on the body better. Somehow the Day doesnt really attract me much. Watever ur choice is, good luck and dont forget to keep us posted. What color are you planning to get btw?

If you really think you will be using the bag as a shoulder bag then I would go for the Day. It is a shoulder bag. I would say the City is a handbag with a shoulder strap. IMO I think the City looks best carried as a handbag. So if you want to be handsfree, go for the Day. It is my favorite style.

Congratulations on getting your first Bal, leliz! I have both the City and Day. I love both styles. I have actually worn my Day everyday (hee! hee!) since I got her a few months ago. And she has held up very well. It is a comfortable style and is so easy to carry. I like the fact that I can be hands free with this style. I also like the City. It does not hold as much as the Day, but is a versatile style. The one problem I have with the City is that when I use the shoulder strap, it tends to slip of my shoulder. Unlike the Day, which stays put.

The Day bag is the MOST comfortable bag in the world...and has the added benefit of looking really great!

Get a dark colored Day bag, and enjoy a carefree, handsfree bag. You will be so glad to have it, especially when the baby arrives! :sunshine:

The day was my first Bal, and I found this bag so great to use I have only bought Day bags since.

I love the look of a City too, but after getting used to the Day, I find it hard to justify purchasing the City just so I could have one in my collection.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've always wanted a city but I think I'm going to go for the day since I see appreciating having a shoulder bag vs. hand bag in the next few years! If I was getting a city it would be black, but for the day I'm thinking either Raisin or Pebble. I want something neutral but something that still kind of pops out. I'm really in love with the Raisin Bals but I'm not sure if it will be as neutral as a Day in Pebble.
I'll try them both on in the store and hopefully that will make the decision easier!?

I have 2 babys and I have a day bag and a city bag. And I prefer using the city bag when I am with my kids as you can more easily grab into the bag with one hand (while the other hand holds a kid). When I use the day I need to sleep the bag off my shoulder and grab into it whith the other hand, see shat I mean?