First (and likely only) Birkin...which color?

cityivy

O.G.
Apr 15, 2006
Hello all, so i LOVE my chanel, but would like to have one birkin in my collection. I am generally a small bag person (love my chanel mini's), but I would like to have a birkin 30. What color would you choose for your one and only birkin? I've narrowed it down to either black or one of the greys (etain, graphite, gris M). And do you all use your birkins as a work bag bc i generally only use this size bag for work. Thanks!

Reactions: Winiebean
I would choose something in the gray family with GHW since I suspect you probably have a black Chanel.

I use my B as a work bag — but most people I work with don’t know what it is which makes me more comfortable. Not sure what your work situation is.

Good luck on your quest! Please let us know what you decide.

Reactions: cityivy
I would choose something in the gray family with GHW since I suspect you probably have a black Chanel.
I use my B as a work bag — but most people I work with don’t know what it is which makes me more comfortable. Not sure what your work situation is.

Good luck on your quest! Please let us know what you decide.

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. Black is just seems so plain to me and I have tons of black bags (chanel wocs, reissue, classic flap, clutch, tote). I love the look of Epsom leather with PHW.

Hello all, so i LOVE my chanel, but would like to have one birkin in my collection. I am generally a small bag person (love my chanel mini's), but I would like to have a birkin 30. What color would you choose for your one and only birkin? I've narrowed it down to either black or one of the greys (etain, graphite, gris M). And do you all use your birkins as a work bag bc i generally only use this size bag for work. Thanks!

I’m in the exact same same boat, except that I requested a 35. I put dark grey as my first choice since I have 4 other leather bags that are ALL BLACK and 2 black/black Goyards. Of course, my second choice is black! :smile: If by some luck, I can manage a 2nd B, then I will go for a dark or medium green in a 30.

If I get a B, I plan to use it all the time (yeehaw!) except on nights out or if I really need to be more under the radar.

Good luck with your decision- at least it is kinda a fun one to stress about.

Last edited:
I too, have many Chanel bags and 4 minis which I use quite often. Years ago, I thought I would buy one birkin and be done. My collection now includes gold, blue nuit and black birkins, all 30 with PHW, and a gris asphalt 28 kelly with PHW all in togo. If I had to only have one, it would still be the black 30 togo birkin.

Black is always the best option. If opportunity poses, get a black.
The birkin 30 is my daily bag. I carry it to work and to most everything I do during the day - shopping, lunch and everything in between. It is the perfect daytime casual size, for me at least.

I have one birkin And it’s a 25 but it is in the color étoupe and I am very happy with that for now ... it’s neutral enough and all season
But I do believe black is great choice.
You need to decide what you plan on doing with it. Good luck :smile:

Reactions: RT1
If it was me, I would pick the color etain because it's a darker gray, but a year round color.

Most brands have some sort of black tote bag, so you can always fill the need for a black bag with another brand.
I'm waiting until my H belt in black/etain arrives so I know what that exact shade of grey looks like (assuming the belt and bag are the same)

Reactions: RT1