Home & Garden Fine china-what's your pattern?

OP - personally, I would go with the simple pattern. I am assuming you are fairly typical; most people don't change their china every five or ten years - it's like buying an Hermes bag - you spent enough the first time around. Of course, just as people have 5 Birkins, some have multiple sets of china (one of my clients imports european dishware - we were talking and she mentioned that she has 27 different sets!)

I entertain between once every two weeks to once a month. I get a lot of use out of my china! Others don't.

I think that, as tastes change, you might get tired of the elaborate pieces, or you might find them to be dated. I purchased my china from my aunt - she loved the elaborate pastel dishes when she got married but as the decades passed, her taste changed. She now has the plain jewel-tone solid coloured dishes.
The wide gold rim looks like it will be more classic. Also, I think that they could have more versatility with the seasons.

Cakegirl....the first place setting is so beautiful! I love it! I would try to get china now, and this is the reason.... Everyday plates can be bought anytime by you, but china is so expensive that the best time to get it is when people are giving it to you as a gift. I rarely use my wedding china, but am still glad that I have it!

Thanks! I love that each piece has a different pattern. I am definitely registering for china now. I'm Southern, and it is what most people, especially my parent's friends, like to give.
I know people say to pick something very simple because you may get sick of it otherwise. I am not a fan of the very simple platinum band patterns- I'd rather pick something that I love now than something that is just OK (for me.) I am not a young bride (late 30's) so I can't imagine my tastes completely changing.
Also, I will inherit my mother's china which is fairly simple and could always borrow it in the meantime. I don't want to end up with 2 similar sets.

know this is a way old thread but it came up in a google search!

does anyone happen to know about the different christian lacroix fine china patterns?

way back when he did a bunch of different patterns in partnership with christolfe and i am looking to see pictures of the different patterns - i have seen all of the ones on replacements.com but beyond that i can not find much - any help much appreciated!

if not does anyone know of a website for china collectors that i could post on?

thanks!

know this is a way old thread but it came up in a google search!

does anyone happen to know about the different christian lacroix fine china patterns?

way back when he did a bunch of different patterns in partnership with christolfe and i am looking to see pictures of the different patterns - i have seen all of the ones on replacements.com but beyond that i can not find much - any help much appreciated!

if not does anyone know of a website for china collectors that i could post on?

thanks!

PalmBP thanks for searching before asking your question. If you dont hear anything in the next few days, feel free to start a new thread if you need to. :tup:

We never use it but I love having it and I still love the pattern. Wedgwood Clio.

clio.jpg

Reactions: boxermom
I love getting out the nice china for Sunday dinner, so I thought I might try reviving this thread to see if there are any other TPFers that want to chat!

Last year, my husband's brother passed away, and we inherited some china that had been my mother-in-laws - a very simple Noritake pattern, Ivonne, that is ivory with a platinum band:

IMG_0510.JPG

We have a full service for 12, and several serving pieces in that pattern.

I also have collected some Spode Fleur de Lis, and I often mix them together, because I think the mix of plain and more ornate looks nice. Here's the table set for Christmas, with the Noritake mixed with the Spode (and some inexpensive gilt chargers):
IMG_0642.jpg

Reactions: tinybutterfly
I registered for fine china when I got married. It was Diana by Royal Doulton. This was in the 80's, when Princess Diana was in the forefront of fashion and lifestyle. I believe it was the name that made me choose this china. Fast forward 30 years, and when we remodeled our house, I had to move everything out. I had never ever used my china and I had a full service for 8 plus tons of serving pieces. And I no longer loved the way it looked. My tastes had definitely changed. I offered it to my daughters, who politely declined. I donated it to a thrift store. I expected to feel bad but I have never missed my china. However, I catch myself looking at posts like this because I love to see what others have.
What I do use now is Fiesta Ware. I have 9 different colors. My cabinets look like a crayon box when I open them and I love it. I found some photos on line of Diana china and Fiesta Ware.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 239
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
I love this thread! Our wedding china was Lenox Marchesa Empire Pearl, I pull it out occasionally. I also add pieces once a year. Our everyday set is Lenox Butterfly Meadow. What I'm planning on adding is a nice porcelain tea set, any recommendations?
IMG_1502040112.054369.jpg

Love the idea of fine china.
Grew up surrounded by various patterns, silver, crystal, etc.
So elegant & stuff of Victorian-style fantasies.

In reality, am electric dishwasher fanatic.
Prefer everyday-style china, not platinum rims.
Entertain simply. Or at restaurants.;)
Drop/break stuff.
(thank God for www.replacements.com)
Registered for baseball equipment & baking pans, instead of wedding china.

Cannot count how many sets of dusty-breakable-needs polishing items have received.:nuts:
Gifts, inheritances, whatever.
Sold/donated almost all.

Bought desired settings/pieces from favorite 2 china patterns:
noritake's virtue & ralph lauren's mandarin blue.
Mix both in use, as desired--tickles me to do.:P
Special occasions or fancy coffee/tea times.
Then hand wash.:hrmm:

Partial china cabinet display:
china, silver, crystal.jpg

I just stumbled over this old thread. I was so astonished to read that many do not use china because of hand washing.

Most modern china sold here in Germany is dishwasher safe. I have several patterns of Arzberg (temporary and from the 60s) and Rosenthal, use them daily and put them in the dishwasher. Although I mostly prefer all-white patterns.

https://www.rosenthal.de/en/cms/company/our-service/product_care/porcelain/

Actually I think China should be used. And I would rather try the dishwasher (with the risk of bleaching out the pattern) than not using it at all.

Reactions: misstrine85
Actually I think China should be used. And I would rather try the dishwasher (with the risk of bleaching out the pattern) than not using it at all.
China & porcelain, with metallic rims, will die in a dishwasher. Over time, rims damage & disappear.
When I accidentally put gold-rimmed plate into microwave--was amazing lightning show.:blush:
Some of us cannot hand wash. It's a genetic defect, plus some sloth.;)

China & porcelain, with metallic rims, will die in a dishwasher. Over time, rims damage & disappear.

Yes, you are right. Over time, everything seems to disappear. My point is best to use it before.

When I accidentally put gold-rimmed plate into microwave--was amazing lightning show.:blush:

Probably wasn’t too good for the plate, but you created a moment to remember.