Finding yourself to outgrow certain brands.

Vinyl

O.G.
Dec 1, 2007
I'm sure some of us have found ourselves to "outgrow" certain brands. I know, I know -- it should depend on the bag itself & not the brand, but allow me to generalize anyways! :sweatdrop:

I used to only be interested in LV, but now that I find my interest in the brand has waned incredibly to the point where I just skip over the LV subforum. Just a few months ago, I was in love with the Mahina & now I don't care for any of it anymore. Considering I just purchased my Azur Speedy & wallet in October too!

And I also remember being semi-into Coach when I was like 14 or 15. I outgrew that super fast & never returned!

I'm actually surprised, TBH. I never thought I would like BV, but I keep going back to look @ their pieces. To me, BV seemed more favorable in the "older crowd." As for RM, I didn't think her bags were anything special in the beginning... but I just keep looking @ the pictures & noticing the luscious leather!

It is an interesting point of view. Personally, I believe (I might be wrong) that younger people are more attracted by very visible logo brands such as LV or Chanel, not so much by the quality of the product.
When I was a teenager I was obsessed by brands such as Dior and YSL, because they seemed grown-up and sophisticated and I could hardly afford any of their products.
I suppose that one of the (few) advantages of getting older is that you can develop your own taste and might get away from brand-fascination. You can start checking out products according to their quality (and your own taste).

I find it much more satisfactory to choose something because I like it and not because I feel the pressure to comply with fashion/advertisement/celebrities and everybody else's taste.

I totally understand what you mean. I was always in love with Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Prada but when the whole fake situation just exploded with these brands I got totally turned off to them. There are certain bags by Prada that I still love, such as the new fairy bags, but would never buy unless I found a great deal on them.

As I've got older I'm more interested in understated luxury and favour the more so called stealth wealth brands such as Lanvin and Hermes.

I still buy Gucci and Prada clothing but it would be highly unlikely that I'd buy one of their bags.

I think it's natural for interest in certain styles and brands to come and go in stages, just a way of keeping life interesting I think! I can't imagine never changing my style of dress, or handbag, or even the decor in my house. I can be all about the blue and purple in my bathroom for a few years and then I'm tired of it, I'm ready to move on to green and beige or some such. Change can be really exciting, it's so much fun to discover something new to become passionate about. :smile:

Linda

I don't know. I have no opinion about logoes bag as I do think some looks nice. Anyway, I don't like LV monogram canvas but I do think Gucci one ooks good.

For me I will never ever pay for a Hermes. I have no idea how good quality it is but the styles are so not me and I think it suits with people older age than me. I may like it when I will be at 40s.

I always buy certain brands Chanel, LV, Prada, Balenciaga, Gucci (Only on sale period), Anya Hindmarch, Moschino (in the past I like bag from Moschino a lot but not for now),Dior (I'm over Dior now. No great bag lately unless it's on sale) and MJ. I remember I always went to other nice bag boutique like Ferragamo, Fendi and loewe and I do think some bags are so beautiful but I didn't think to buy them at all. I said to myself, I would use this money to pay for Chanel or LV not these brands.

For about a year after joining the purse forum, I was totally obsessed with LV(but I only have one bag and one wallet-so far)....but I think it got to the point where I was so overly obsessed that I actually got sick of looking at them, if that makes any sense to you. I'm actually very happy with my small handbag collection, I have one of each designer of LV, Coach, Balenciaga and Marc Jacobs. I use to have so many more bags but it was out of control and I sold most of them-I wasn't using any of them so why not clean out, right? :smile:

I have definitely outgrown certain brands. Some of it has to do with taste, and some has to do with realizing that with some brands I merely paying for the name. I wasn't getting the best quality and I felt that the bags were overpriced.

I was with that with Coach. the brand and its products just didn't excite me anymore. Last time I went into a Coach store, I was looking around for like 20 minutes and couldn't find anything that I liked.

Gucci..well I never really liked their handbags like I use to, but now I like their shoes.

I was with that with Coach. the brand and its products just didn't excite me anymore. Last time I went into a Coach store, I was looking around for like 20 minutes and couldn't find anything that I liked.

Gucci..well I never really liked their handbags like I use to, but now I like their shoes.

i love gucci shoes. i find them to be stylish and comfortable. as much as i love choos...they kill my feet.

My wife bought a Coach bag over a year ago and she still has it sitting in the closet with all the tags still on it. I think she was intrigued with it because it was a well-known American brand and she had just moved from England. Now she's bored with it and will probably give her coach bags to friends when she goes back to England this month.

i can't say i've outgrown any designers yet. i still love marc jacobs, miu miu, balenciaga, and chanel, but i can see myself beginning to appreciate more understated designers like bv and lanvin. they're still a little plain and boring for me. i'm still young, so i need a little bling. my style of dress has certainly changed however. i used to love abercrombie and american eagle when i was in high school. juicy couture was all the rage in college, and now my style is much more streamlined, darker colors, no loud logos, lusher fabrics, etc. it's more grown-up, i suppose, because i work in a corporate environment now, and i can't very well show up to work in a velour hoodie although they are comfy.