Finding a builder- anyone built a home recently?

I would go look at new homes in the area. Usually when you walk into a cheaply made home you can tell right away. When we were looking we looked at some McBride homes, they were awful. The materials were the same grade they use in apartments. And it was all slapped together very poorly. I would never buy a home from them, especially for what they were charging! It makes me mad just to drive past their sign. lol

My advice is to go to your local bank and talk to a Construction/Interim Loan Officer. While they won't make a recommendation, they might, however give you a list of their approved builders. Most banks, upon approving a construction loan will approve the builder as well. They will ask them for financial statements, and obtain credit and supplier references. Believe me, no bank wants to approve an interim loan to someone with a shoddy builder!!! Can you tell I work in a bank?? lol

what area in OK are you in? I don't know your price range but I know of an AMAZING builder in the OKC/Edmond area.

We build homes pretty often. . . just bought another lot and think we've found our new builder, we're meeting w/ him again tomorrow at our lot to make sure.

Find out EVERYTHING.
*Ask if he charges a flat fee to build or he charges "cost plus" which means he charges you what the subs charge him PLUS a fee. If you do cost plus put in writing you won't pay invoices until you see his cancelled chackes. Otherwise the builder can make deals w/ the subs, they give him the right invoice and you an inflated one. You pay the inflated one PLUS his small fee over it. . . you get screwed.

*Find out if he uses the same subs all the time. This will mean he has a good relationship w/ them.

*You'll need to know how you want some of your finish out. For example do you want mostly brick? mostly stone? Stucco? Brick w/ some siding?
Wood flooring? Grade of appliances?
Type of roof - barrel tile, slate, composition . . .?

Do you have blueprints yet?
If so, interview a few builders, show them the plans and ask for bids.