Finally some diamond studs, please advice

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello ladies,

so a am finally getting some studs. My boyfriend wanted to give me a bag but i think i will enjoy some bling more.

I ordered a pair of 0,50 ctw studs before on blue nile but i returned them because they were a bit small for me even though i like small studs.

My budget is around €1200 including tax (19% here!) and i want to order from blue nile. Depending on the specs i can get anything from 0,6ctw and 0,8 tcw (ideal cuts)

the pair i ordered before was a 0,5ctw G color vs2, ideal cut set in yellow gold. I love yellow gold but the G color still looked faint yellow to me (maybe because of the gold) and because i can't see if a stone is eye clean i went to VS2. What are the size differences between 0,5 0,6 0,7 and 0,8 tcw. Is it worth it to go for less quality and bigger or not?

TIA :biggrin:

2. I would go for a lesser clarity and up the color and size to a .7 cttw.

3. That seemed an attractive option to me too! The sale rep told me the yellow gold will yellow the stone and he advised met j color for yellow gold and higher for white gold. Is it a waste to put a high color grade stone in yellow gold?

4. I think you should set the stones in white gold or platinum. The yellow does not enhance the color of the stone, IMHO.

5. I agree, slide down on clarity, I wouldn't change the color personally. True G's won't look "yellow" at all, especially looking at it already mounted. I'd go for SI1 clarity, keep the ideal, keep the G and get whatever metal color YOU like. I prefer white personally.

6. Well i want to go for diamonds but it gets more complicated. My mom has a pair of diamond vintage studs that used to be my grand mothers. I will graduate in january and she wants to give them to me. She feels a bit insulted that i wanted another pair. I have enough bracelets and necklaces so that leaves me a ring and i'm not sure if i want to go there.

7. I have two pairs of diamond studs: Vintage studs from the 1920's and Diamond Studs my parents bought for me. I think as long as the pairs look a little different, then you are fine.

8. I agree with Swanky and AS...my studs are G SI1 Leo cut. If you set the studs in a martini setting they will look modern, and as AS said, a very different look.
    BTW, I just love AS's vintage earrings...stunning!

9. Thanks, Skyqueen!

10. I am a yellow gold lady myself (everything I own is yellow gold except for my e-ring from Tiffany's whose prongs are platinum and the ring is yellow gold) and my everyday diamond studs are in a yellow gold bezel setting. But, I have been putting a lot of thought into getting a set of bigger of studs and I have noticed that the diamonds look bigger with platinum/ white gold instead of yellow gold because the platinum/ white gold just kind-of blends and gets lost with the diamonds and while the yellow gold surrounds it and kind-of accentuates and says "the diamond stops HERE." So, I personally am thinking of getting my new studs in either platinum/ white gold prongs or completely in platinum/ white gold. I hope that makes sense :smile: But, this is just my opinion and with all that being said you should get what you want. I just wanted to give you my input from a fellow yellow gold lover.

11. That sounds great! So how much of a size difference do these have?

My moms pair is about 1ct total in white gold. I am not sure about color but they have a warmth to them so i think J and the cut can't be ideal. I am thinking of going for something between ,65 and ,75 total in D,E,F,G/ VS or SI1 in ideal cut in yellow gold. I think a ring is amazing aswell but i want to save that for marriage and i can't think of other jewelry that i want. I really don't want to piss off my mom LOL.

12. i know what you are talking about and i agree. I just love the white diamond in combination with the yellow of the gold

13. #13 Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    These are my 20's studs-
    [​IMG]

Mr regular studs are 70 points total weight.

These are actually the same weight as my regular studs.

14. Even if your grandmother's studs have a more basic-stud setting, the shine of the stones is different. I think that older jewelry has such a unique sparkle, that it would not be at all odd to have 2 pairs of studs. How big are your grandmother's studs?

15. Those are so pretty and original! My moms are about 1 carat total. The measure about 5mm each but i measured with a regular ruler. The stones used to be in a ring and she had them set in a 4 prong basket just this year. To me they shine like an average/ wel cut stone and i read the bigger facets make them look more yellow then ideal cut stones. They look like J color and must be atleast 70 years old