finally got my ring back from repairs

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
a few months ago, i went to nyc on business, and i was lucky enough to be able to have a delicious dinner with my aunt, uncle and my brother. we were sitting at dinner enjoying a delicious plate of paella when i noticed this gigantic diamond (i.e. ice cube) on my aunt's left finger. this thing was so large i had to take a closer look. this beauty was a 7 carat princess cut diamond with two trillion shaped diamonds on the sides totaling about 4 carats. needless to say, this ring was amazing.

i remember while growing up, she used to wear this gorgeous ruby & diamond ring every day in lieu of a wedding/engagement ring. i asked her if she still wore it and described it to her in detail. she was so touched by my obvious love for this ring, that she turns to me and says "you know what, i'm going to give it to you." obviously, i didn't take her serious and just brushed it off.

but then a few weeks after i got home from my trip, it arrives in the mail. now keep in mind, she warned me beforehand that the ring was in really bad shape and was missing some stones. at that point, i didn't care. i assured her that i would take very good care of it and immediately brought it to my trusted jeweler to estimate.

now keep in mind, it was in pretty bad shape. the gold was worn down so much where the channel settings were, that the stones were then becoming worn down and scratched. it was pretty bad.

i finally picked it up today and here it is. i cannot believe how beautiful the finished product is. it almost looks brand new. it was amazing! they had to completely rebuild the entire channel settings and the ring itself to get the stones to fit.

i'm so excited that it's something i will wear when i don't want to wear my regular engagement ring. it's a little big (probably a good full size bigger than my finger), but to size it down would have changed the shape of the ring a great deal. i didn't want to risk losing its original shape, so i will always wear it with one of my smaller stackable bands to protect it.

enjoy!

DSCF0222.jpg

DSCF0223.jpg

DSCF0224.jpg

^^^thanks, candypants. i love it. it's unique and not your traditional 'wedding band.' sometimes i want something more casual than my engagement ring, so this is perfect.

i will pass it down to my daughter one day, as well.

it must have, because she has a daughter whom she could have passed this ring down to, as well as two granddaughters, and she chose to give it to me. that means so much to me knowing this. she wanted me to always "remember" her. i have always adored her anyway, so this ring definitely wouldn't have made me remember her, because i would always remember her, but it definitely makes me appreciate her graciousness and love.

It really is amazing and I see why you remembered it all these years. Your jeweler did a fantastic job. Wear it, enjoy it and always remember the memories of your aunt as well. Aunts are so special, aren't they?

Awww,what a wonderful story! And the ring is gorgeous,I love how you will in turn pass it on to your daughter,it will have so much sentiment attached,just lovely!