Final eBay Rant - I've quit!

AFewItems

Jul 25, 2008
Houston, Texas
For the past month I've been adding comments here and there in the eBay forum. After four years on eBay and 100% positive feedback, both as a buyer and as a seller, I have chosen quit selling on eBay and have moved to another online auction site. I broke free of the eBay forums a couple of weeks ago and now it's time to delete the Purse Forum's eBay Forum from my "Favorites" and move on.

Most of my contributions to the Purse Forum have been eBay related, which makes sense considering that eBay is where most of my buying/selling online experiences have occurred. I also feel like my comments are sounding more and more bitter towards eBay and all that's happening there, so I'm posting one last rant and moving on.

I have, on several occassions, been pretty darn miffed at eBay and Paypal. I stopped buying and selling numerous times, only to return because none of the alternatives compared to eBay. Now, they are forcing sellers to find alternatives. I hope that one or more of the sites struggling to fill the hole that eBay is leaving can be successful. Buying and selling online can be a lot of fun and I hope to continue to be able to pursue this hobby in years to come.

I also know that, without a doubt, eBay has permanently lost me as a customer - in any capacity. They have spent the last few months bullying sellers and have hurt a lot decent, honest, hard-working people in the process, many of whom depend on their eBay sales to support themselves and their families. I work very hard for my money and many years ago I made a decision that I would only spend my hard-earned money with businesses that actually give a d*mn about their customers; eBay no longer falls within that catagory.

I'm done, I'm gone.:crybaby: I've joined the ranks of many eBay buyers and sellers dedicated to making an alternative online auction site a success. So, that said, I have one last rant. Can we change the name of this forum from the "eBay Forum" to the "Online Buying/Selling Forum"?

eBayguy

Steve
Jun 23, 2008
Tennessee
Folks might still need a place to rant about eBay, but the idea of an On-line Buying/Selling Forum sounds good. By keeping this forum the new forum might be able to "get down to business" without the eBay distractions. And this coming from a guy with the name eBayguy?!

Can I ask where you are moving to? I am collecting sites, visiting them to analyze them then revisiting them to see if they have improved. No I am not an eBay employee or spy. It has just been my main income for many years so it seemed natural.

While I teach eBay classes, I am transitioning to a more generic online sales education because eBay has been so unstable to teach lately. I instruct one thing and the next week it is changed. Maybe when they settle down I will feel differently, but no need to have all of one's eggs (or collectibles) in one basket.

AFewItems

Jul 25, 2008
Houston, Texas
I moved to onlineauction.com. I did a lot of research and know that there are many other sites out there; most seem to cater to "new, in the box" sellers, but I am a seller of used high-end clothing and accessories, so most of these sites did not meet my needs. Onlineauction.com was founded by a former eBay Power Seller and the way the site works seems to addresses most of the rants that former eBay sellers have.

I'm very realistic, I know that it will be a long time before any site compares to what I was able to do on eBay. No one has the number of listings, the traffic or the sales that eBay has. They have operated without competition for so long that it's impossible to find any site right now that comes even a little bit close to eBay's success. At the same time, eBay has taken advantage of this situation and their sellers for a very long time. I don't sell to make a living, I do so because I love to shop and I can't pass up a great deal - or keep everything I buy. As much as I love re-sale shops, they keep too much of a cut of my money, so I sell online.

I examined many sites and looked for the one that was the most user friendly and gave me the freedom to sell my items on my own terms. I also analyzed where the former eBay sellers were moving and watched the membership numbers on several sites as eBay implemented their selling changes. Onlineauction.com kept winning, hands down.

The trend I'm seeing is that eBay sellers have learned a huge lesson; that is, not to put all of their eggs in one basket. Most full time sellers are experimenting with several sites to determine where their wares will best sell. I have a very time-consuming full time job, am a single parent and just don't have the time to manage an online sales business in multiple locations, so had to decide on one. I chose onlineuaction.com because it seemed to be the easiest to use and because many other eBayers are going there. Membership and listings have exploded in the last few months, but I'll say again that it will be a long time before anything will compare to eBay selling. eBay didn't become a powerhouse overnight and at the time they were growing there wasn't much competition to deal with. The field is much larger now, so for one site to rise up and become a success in the online auction business is going to take a lot of time, dedication and patience on the part of sellers.

eBayguy

Steve
Jun 23, 2008
Tennessee
Thank you for the thoughtful and complete response. That speaks highly of the information you gave us and will make me take a good long look at onlineauction. I knew of them, and had looked at them, but as you mentioned there are so many that none really stood out.

Your response shows some careful anlysis and certainly warrants a longer and closer look.

On a side note, I really like this forum structure. It allows me to go back and re-edit my comments. I usually catch the bloopers just as I click to save.

Jun 25, 2008
Thank you so much for the informative rant. I value your opinion and wish you good luck. BTW, I think a separate online buying/selling forum is a great idea and would be extremely helpful, especially now that so many people are seeking an alternative to e`bay.