Filling my Coach void

GoStanford

Jun 28, 2012
This is the story of how I rediscovered Coach and learned about TPF also, so thank you to all of you who have provided so much information here.

Around 2003 I got my first Coach at a factory store - no way could I spend the money for a full-price Coach. I didn't know about all the different models, and I got a Janice's Legacy in black that was my "good bag" for years. I added to my small collection with two smaller Coach bags that are still cherished (and thankfully I still have them - so you can see where this is going). My everyday bags during these years were usually cotton canvas and very simple.

In a fit of closet cleaning more than a year ago, I consigned my Janice bag as it had been sitting unused for a couple of years - I couldn't fit my daily gear in it especially with kid gear to carry around. The bag sold, and I netted about $45 - I figured it wasn't the money, but the space that mattered.

Somehow I started noticing more classic Coach styles around me, saw re-issued bags in magazines, and in the last year and even last six months realized how precious (to me) that first bag was. I found TPF and jumped onto the rehab bandwagon, but wasn't too successful (though the rehab thread is fantastic and there are many great results there). I could have saved the money on rehab bags and funded a new Coach bag.

Well, after many purchases/exchanges/returns/questions, I finally took the plunge and bought a new old stock Janice's Legacy online after doing my homework. The bag cost about $200 but I am hoping that when it arrives, I can finally fill the void that selling my first Coach bag left. I don't even know if I will use the replacement regularly, but even if I just have it to look at, I'm willing to sacrifice the space. It seems to be very close to what I did, down the bullseye mark and "Made in Dominican Republic" creed patch. I can't remember if mine had brushed nickel hardware or a shinier silver or whether Janice even came in a shinier silver.

Thanks for reading and giving all Coach lovers an outlet for their interest here!

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
Congratulations on replacing an important bag from your past. It was a stroke of luck that you found one in new condition.

Sorry to hear that your rehabbing efforts weren't as successful as you wanted. I've lucked out that much of my collection came to me in great condition. I feel like I have rescued them and brought them into a home where they will be appreciated.

I regret that I don't have my first Coach bags. I don't even know what styles they were. If I had only known that they could have been washed, I probably would never have given them to Goodwill when they got dirty and misshapen.

GoStanford

Jun 28, 2012
Congratulations on replacing an important bag from your past. It was a stroke of luck that you found one in new condition.

Sorry to hear that your rehabbing efforts weren't as successful as you wanted. I've lucked out that much of my collection came to me in great condition. I feel like I have rescued them and brought them into a home where they will be appreciated.

I regret that I don't have my first Coach bags. I don't even know what styles they were. If I had only known that they could have been washed, I probably would never have given them to Goodwill when they got dirty and misshapen.
Whateve, your contributions to the rehab thread and other threads have been very educational and helpful! I am so glad your rehab efforts are working. My sum total was about four-five rehabs on navy and other dark bags. The reason I gave up was because I kept getting dye lifting off (albeit in small amounts, for the most part) after conditioning bags - mostly on the inner smooth leather surfaces, and one bag (a good condition Stewardess that I rehabbed and carried for a day) got dye on the corners of my new beige wallet. I was frustrated by that.

Interestingly, the reviews on coach.com include a very recent one mentioning that dye rubbed off onto the buyer's hand during use of her handbag, and this was a brand new re-issue/Classics bag. I hope the bag I receive soon doesn't do that, and it is 9 years old!