Filing PayPal dispute...which option to choose?

T Doll

May 22, 2008
I ordered an item on Ebay over a month ago and have still not received it. The seller told me she ran into several shipping problems and that she will eventually ship it out again. I asked her to keep me updated on the shipping status, and I sent her a message asking if she's finally shipped yet. I haven't heard anything back from her, so I want to file a dispute with PayPal.

My question is, should I file it as "Item not received" or should I go with "Item not as described"? Logically, it makes sense to file as "Item not received". However, I'm worried that once I file the dispute, she might send out a bogus package (wrong item, or nothing in the box at all). If that's the case, would PayPal side with her? Since she would have proof of shipping "something" to me. Would I be able to change the dispute to "Item not as described" after I already filed it as "Item not received"?

File INR (not received). You haven't received the item.

For you to lose the case, she'd need to show a proof of delivery and it doesn't sound as though she has any proof.

File INR (not received). You haven't received the item.

For you to lose the case, she'd need to show a proof of delivery and it doesn't sound as though she has any proof.

She doesn't have any proof of delivery yet....but if I file INR and PayPal asks her for proof (ie. tracking number), I'm worried that she might send a bogus package and provide proof of shipping from that. Would PayPal take that as proof of shipping/delivery and side with her?

agree .. file an INR... you haven't received anything and should she
provide shipping info she has to provide a date of when the package
was shipped.. she can't provide a date correct?? and she can't provide
any tracking info as well....

She doesn't have any proof of delivery yet....but if I file INR and PayPal asks her for proof (ie. tracking number), I'm worried that she might send a bogus package and provide proof of shipping from that. Would PayPal take that as proof of shipping/delivery and side with her?
I think you're worrying about things unnecessarily. It's been over a month without getting the item, getting the runaround about shipping and then getting no further response.

You've been patient enough and if she files a bogus d.c., worry about that at that time.

30 days IMO is a sufficient amout of time to wait for a package..

you should file an INR.. your seller doesn't seem to be so interrested in
giving you shipping info... she is giving you the runaround..

take the necessary steps to do what needs to be done...

I think you're worrying about things unnecessarily. It's been over a month without getting the item, getting the runaround about shipping and then getting no further response.

You've been patient enough and if she files a bogus d.c., worry about that at that time.

Yes it's definitely been long enough. I'm going to file a dispute either way, but I just wanted to take some precaution when I do it, so that I don't have to look back (should anything go wrong) and say "I should have done this instead...."

30 days IMO is a sufficient amout of time to wait for a package..

you should file an INR.. your seller doesn't seem to be so interrested in
giving you shipping info... she is giving you the runaround..

take the necessary steps to do what needs to be done...

Thank you. I'm definitely going to file a dispute. I just don't want it to backfire if I technically chose the wrong option - that's what I'm concerned about.

The seller has to mail the item out within 7 days, so they are already in breach of the rules. I wouldn't worry about them sending a bogus package, because they frankly don't sound organised enough to pull that off. If they do, cross that bridge when you get there.

Yes it's definitely been long enough. I'm going to file a dispute either way, but I just wanted to take some precaution when I do it, so that I don't have to look back (should anything go wrong) and say "I should have done this instead...."

Thank you. I'm definitely going to file a dispute. I just don't want it to backfire if I technically chose the wrong option - that's what I'm concerned about.

You don't have the item, therefore it is INR, not a SNAD. How can you possibly explain how the item is SNAD if you don't have it? IMHO if you try to get "tricky" you will end up hanging yourself (figuratively speaking).

Be honest, do the INR.

if she does that i'm almost sure that you can then change the claim to SNAD.

the OP has a valid reason to be worried, how many threads were here when that happened; nothing was sent out, INR filed and then the seller would mail out some garbage.

BB, you know all about this, can the claim be then converted to SNAD or does PP close the claim once tracking is uploaded.

you haven't received an item that you bought & paid for.. hence file an INR

the seller has to show that she shipped it...tracking which she can provide to

pp/ebay...she can't do that at this time...you haven't received your item

so therefore filing a SNAD would not be the right choice for you...if you received

your item and it was significantly not as described you then would file a SNAD..

but that is not the case here... INR is the right option for you at this time, IMO

you haven't received an item that you bought & paid for.. hence file an INR

the seller has to show that she shipped it...tracking which she can provide to

pp/ebay...she can't do that at this time...you haven't received your item

so therefore filing a SNAD would not be the right choice for you...if you received

your item and it was significantly not as described you then would file a SNAD..

but that is not the case here... INR is the right option for you at this time, IMO

OP is afraid that she then will be out of options. you can't file 2 claims, so she wants to make sure she's protected against the scam (mailing some bs) IF it does happen.

so can a claim be converted? i read here many times that once tracking is uploaded the claim just gets closed

Despite all the issues you see on this forum, ebay is not set up to trap people on technicalities. If you have not received the item file an INR. If you have received the item and it is not as described file a SNAD. An INR can be converted to a SNAD down the road if necessary.

OP is afraid that she then will be out of options. you can't file 2 claims, so she wants to make sure she's protected against the scam (mailing some bs) IF it does happen.

so can a claim be converted? i read here many times that once tracking is uploaded the claim just gets closed

there is no reason that OP would be out of options..

she hasn't received the item... she should file an INR..

if the item should arrive and is a SNAD... she can then file a

a SNAD.. OP has to start someplace and since she doesn't have

the item and it is close to 30 days, this seller isn't going to

ship it out... seller is giving the buyer the runaround she should

file the INR.. get things going to get her money back....

according to the poster before me (Northerndancer) she can

file a SNAD as well....