Filene's Basement - Going Out Of Business

Jun 15, 2010
Anyone know why they are going out of business? I have only been to one once while traveling and it was a madhouse...certainly didn't look like they were hurting for business when I was there.
the nytimes article i posted above provides some explanations. apparently with the economic downturn regular dept stores were having really good deals that competed with filene's prices and those stores were better at managing their inventories because of less revenue, so there was less excess inventory for filene's to buy up. (filene's like tjmaxx etc focus on buying excess inventory from regular department stores.

Aug 14, 2009
the nytimes article i posted above provides some explanations. apparently with the economic downturn regular dept stores were having really good deals that competed with filene's prices and those stores were better at managing their inventories because of less revenue, so there was less excess inventory for filene's to buy up. (filene's like tjmaxx etc focus on buying excess inventory from regular department stores.
Thanks...I missed your article (once again, need to slow down when I go through threads :P). It makes sense. I know that when I went I wasn't *that* impressed with the prices. Sure they were good, but it's not like they were so good to deal with the crowds. In fact, one of the blazers I picked up when I went was at Nords Rack for the same price later that day...I think it's probably like any bargain retailer, hit or miss. But I know I just couldn't handle the craziness for hit or miss prices.

LovePink

O.G.
Mar 6, 2008
Shopping Online
All store in MA will closing :smile: sad! I scored 2 blazer of Jill Sander for $50. Down from $499 and $599. ( 90% off of Red tag) but org price was $1300 . in Pefect shape with all original tag . I scored in Filene's Basement at Saugus.