Fiebings And Tarrago Leather Dye Review-Lots of Pics

Hello ladies! I recently dyed my Michael Kors Addison Shoulder bag, and I wanted to show you how well two different brands of dye (Fiebings and Tarrago) work on smooth leather.

I have no idea how it happened, but somehow about a year ago my bag got some black stains on the handles and the dye was rubbing off in some areas, and I finally worked up enough courage to dye it.

be9cea9f-ceff-407f-a658-2846c7e771bb_zpsa18242e9.jpg

Before3_zps5a411b68.jpg

Before5_zps22f954a5.jpg

The first step of the process was to strip the old dye off. I used Fiebings deglazer for this, and it worked pretty well.

Deglazer1_zps4446ee89.jpg

Deglazer3_zpsc2935750.jpg

Then I started putting the Fiebings dark purple penetrating dye on the bag. :nogood: When I first brushed it on it looked okay, but then as it dried it turned this awful metallic gold. I have no idea why it turned this color, especially since it was listed as a matte purple. I tried buffing the gold away and put a second coat of the dye on, and nothing helped. Fortunately though, I tested it in a small area on the inside of the bag.

Fiebings1_zpse7345b73.jpg
Hi there. you did a wonderful job dying your bag. I'm thinking of doing he same to mine after a disastrous olive oil accident. I just joined the forum on the 10th and I was wondering if you could help me: I can't seem to start a thread. I wanted to post a topic in care and maintenance but for some reason I'm not allowed to. Also, is there a place to look on the forum for answers to the questions that I've posted? Do you have any idea where I might be able to get some help with suggestions on how to care for my bag after this horrid accident? Thank you so so much for your help I appreciate it more than you know!!
Sarah

Attachments

• Snap 2013-10-11 at 09.49.30.png
    Snap 2013-10-11 at 09.49.30.png
    491.9 KB · Views: 2,707
I did my 1st & 2nd DIY dye job! I started on small item first, the 1st one that I dye using Tarrago self dye was a Coach dark brown coin pouch. I choose Tarrago #11 bordeux, thought it is rouge red but turn out to be a lot darker. The 2nd is my black pump shoes. Will post pix soon!

Hi, this is a bit off-topic, but maybe you guys can help me.

I love this wedding dress with leather straps on it, BUT the straps come in a platinum/ivory color, and I'd like them to be rose gold, just like the wedding bands and the theme. Is there any way to dye the already metallic straps into a more rosy color?

Hi, this is a bit off-topic, but maybe you guys can help me.

I love this wedding dress with leather straps on it, BUT the straps come in a platinum/ivory color, and I'd like them to be rose gold, just like the wedding bands and the theme. Is there any way to dye the already metallic straps into a more rosy color?

You could probably paint the straps with acrylic paint and be fine. It generally sells for $1 or so a bottle. And it's cheap enough that you can blend several colors to make what you want if you can't find it. They sell it at craft stores and I've even seen it al Wal-Mart. A lot of girls in the Coach Rehab thread have used it, as well as someone with a silver metallic bag. Should make it a piece of cake!

You could probably paint the straps with acrylic paint and be fine. It generally sells for $1 or so a bottle. And it's cheap enough that you can blend several colors to make what you want if you can't find it. They sell it at craft stores and I've even seen it al Wal-Mart. A lot of girls in the Coach Rehab thread have used it, as well as someone with a silver metallic bag. Should make it a piece of cake!
Thanks for your idea! Will look into it!!!

I was also thinking of crayons, which come in metallic colors and can be mixed too. My mom tried it once on her shoes and the results were kind of cool. Any thoughts?

Just ordered Martha Stewart's acrylic in rose gold for a try :biggrin:

Thanks for your idea! Will look into it!!!

I was also thinking of crayons, which come in metallic colors and can be mixed too. My mom tried it once on her shoes and the results were kind of cool. Any thoughts?

Just ordered Martha Stewart's acrylic in rose gold for a try :biggrin:

Girls in the Coach rehab thread do it for the metallic bags. If leather is dry they mix with leather conditioner and it kind of sucks in the dry leather. Your leather being brand new will be fine, so I think the acrylic paint will be a better choice.

Hi there. you did a wonderful job dying your bag. I'm thinking of doing he same to mine after a disastrous olive oil accident. I just joined the forum on the 10th and I was wondering if you could help me: I can't seem to start a thread. I wanted to post a topic in care and maintenance but for some reason I'm not allowed to. Also, is there a place to look on the forum for answers to the questions that I've posted? Do you have any idea where I might be able to get some help with suggestions on how to care for my bag after this horrid accident? Thank you so so much for your help I appreciate it more than you know!!
Sarah
Furniture Clinic makes a problem called Leather Degreaser, as does Leather World Technologies. I think I might try one of those first to see what happens.

I have tan almost pinkish leather fossil crossbody purse that i just ordered off ebay. It has stains from jeans and is discolored and faded due to the sun. I want a darker brown purse anyways so rather than cleaning it I thought i might would dye it. my only fear is that it will loose it's vintage and natural look. any advice?

I would definitely recommend using the Tarrago penetrating dye if you don't mind only having three color choices. I didn't have good luck with the Fiebings dye, but it could've been the color I was using or the dye that was originally on my bag. I've also heard some good things about the Tandy Eco-Flo leather dye, and they seem to have a lot more color options then the Tarrago, including tan. I got my black Tarrago dye on Amazon, but unfortunatley they are out of stock right now, but hopefully they will get more in soon. I've also seen people selling the dye on Ebay before. Here's a link to the page on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TY8PRO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Terrago comes in about 100 colors. https://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/TARRAGO-Dye-Kit-Available-in-88-colors-p/1007.htm?1=1&CartID=2

Sarah
Hi Leather Doc, I have given this some thought and searched the website that you told me about. I really appreciate your help. I don't see that they have anything other than their services for sale and I live in NYC so i can't get there. Would you help me by suggesting another place that I could find the product? is it easy to use? I am more than willing to try it. I currently have cornstarch over a lot of the bag. it did help actually a little bit - the stain looks a little better but is definitely still a ruined bag in my opinion. I need to try to get the cornstarch off before i attempt anything else. Do you know of a safe way to do that? it has gotten into the red stitching. and into the pores of the bag. I know water will do the trick but this might hurt the unaffected leather. Do you have any advice for me at all. this is the most devastating thing ever. i am thinking of having the bag dyed front and back since that's the only affected area that got olive oil on it. I really wish i could take back time and handle this purse more carefully but the condiments in the lunch isle that day were sitting too close to the counter :sad: Thank you so very much for your help!

Hi Sarah - Go to the ADT leather website and look in the drop down menu under professional - you are looking for the products they sell to the pros. The oil extractor is listed there. Good luck!

Reactions: etherealsunshine