Feral cats

Tigistylist

Feral Mommy
Nov 9, 2008
Anyone else a caregiver? I have 3 colonies that I fed. There are days it gets so hard, I can't even think. When I do get to go to bed, I can't sleep. I keep thinking about the one I didn't see. Right now I'm spending 4 thousand, on a Cato. I have to put the 13 Ferals on my street in there . Bad man has already killed two. I'm just so worn out!

That is amazing what you do. I don't feed colonies, but I always have dry food and water out for anything with 4 legs and fur that wants it. Used to be several families of raccoons I would watch but they have either moved on or been driven out as i haven't seen them in a few years. There are a few 'regular' cats but nothing like what you are doing.
Are you making an enclosed catio? I have one----best thing I ever did. All my cats were strays that showed up and became family. Since they came from the outside they naturally wanted to be outside. I was having a terrible time with the neighbors complaining so i ended up enclosing my patio with that white plastic lattice. I only have 5 cats in there though. The 6th is a true feral. She has lived on the driveway side of my house for going on 12 years. I can pet her, but she wants nothing to do with inside life.
I wish there was a way to make that evil man pay for what he did.

My husband feeds a colony of ferals at his place of business. He has names for them all and worries when any get sick or injured or, sadly, disappear. Only one of them will let him touch her but the others all know who he is. Last summer one of the females had a litter and apparently abandoned or misplaced one tiny 3 week old kitten. Luckily I just happened to be there in time to save her!

Kudos to you for the great work you're doing!

We don't have ferals in my neighbourhood. The two strays that have been found in these parts both mysteriously ended up at our house.

The last one, the neighbours said, "oh, it's grey? Must belong to the people across the street." And that's how we ended up with #4.

There would be a #5, but I keep telling my husband that it's not nice to steal the neighbour's cat (who dines here pretty much everyday).

There would be a #5, but I keep telling my husband that it's not nice to steal the neighbour's cat (who dines here pretty much everyday).

:lolots::lolots::lolots:

Last summer one of the females had a litter and apparently abandoned or misplaced one tiny 3 week old kitten. Luckily I just happened to be there in time to save her!
...lovely Henrietta! It's amazing how you rescued her from a tiny 3 week baby.

Been crazy here! Bad man has a sidekick, so it has been so bad. We are waiting for the city to inspect the new patio. Then we turn it into a catio. Funds are running low, so I'm thinking about a Facebook page for the kits. Anyone have any ideas? I know I'll post up pics of the catio in progress, and the kits that are being saved. Hoping maybe to find a way to take donations for bedding, scratchers, etc.....

Been crazy here! Bad man has a sidekick, so it has been so bad. We are waiting for the city to inspect the new patio. Then we turn it into a catio. Funds are running low, so I'm thinking about a Facebook page for the kits. Anyone have any ideas? I know I'll post up pics of the catio in progress, and the kits that are being saved. Hoping maybe to find a way to take donations for bedding, scratchers, etc.....

I am not a Facebook person (ha, but I know I am in the minority) - my local rescue centre has set up an amazon wishlist, so people could buy things and have them sent straight to the centre - perhaps that's something you could consider? I'd be happy to buy something that way for your ferals - you are doing an amazing job, I know how exhausting it is.
Oh - I'd like five minutes with that man and his sidekick. I really wouldn't need more than that.....:mad::mad::mad:

We don't have ferals in my neighbourhood. The two strays that have been found in these parts both mysteriously ended up at our house.

The last one, the neighbours said, "oh, it's grey? Must belong to the people across the street." And that's how we ended up with #4.

We have somehow acquired a 12th cat who started hanging around shortly after we moved in. He is an intact male gray tabby with a sweet round face, very shy with the humans but mingling well with the kitties. We called him Little Gray Buddy for a long time but now we call him Alfred. He may have been left here by the previous owners--they left 2 horses so why not a cat?--or he may "belong" to someone, but he lives with us now. We are hoping to get close enough to him to capture him and have him fixed.

Please post your FB or Amazon link when you have set it up! There are many here who I am sure would love to help, including me. All cats (and dogs) should have a safe haven until that time I dream of when every pet owner becomes responsible and does their part to stop the madness of overpopulation by spaying/neutering.

Please post your FB or Amazon link when you have set it up! There are many here who I am sure would love to help, including me. All cats (and dogs) should have a safe haven until that time I dream of when every pet owner becomes responsible and does their part to stop the madness of overpopulation by spaying/neutering.

and adopting/rescuing instead of breeding.

I keep getting that advert at the bottom informing me how 7 out of 10 cats in shelters are put to death. And I find that beyond upsetting.

We have a local feral cat society. There was a mom who had kittens in my far back garden one summer years ago. Between us and the people behind us, they are fed. The society has taken and spayed them and returned them. I never try to pet them, as they will run if anyone gets near.

I'm alive, lol! I've had no sleep for two days. I'm hoping for a bit tonight. I'm going to try in the next two days, to get the ferals page going.
Bad man hasn't gone to work, and he is watching my contractor like a busy body old lady. So I've been stuck out front making sure he doesn't come near my house. Plus I have coyotes attacking a colony I fed behind a Sonic. So I'm just beat!

I don't get many in my area because I live in a busy college subdivision, but I came home from work one day and snapped a picture of a random cat sleeping in the sun on my porch. That was how I knew my destiny was to be an old cat lady....the cats could sense it and started gravitating towards my house. But it ran off as soon as I walked up.

I have a friend who lives in an apartment complex with a bad feral cat problem. Him and his wife have fed them, and were trying to socialize with some of the kittens. I almost adopted two of them but at the time I had an old, sick cat at home and didn't want to introduce any stress or diseases to her. They tried to take the ones they could to shelters but most would turn them down, because they were feral or even worse, because they thought the cats were THEIRS, and they just weren't getting them fixed.

For those of you taking care of ferals, do you try to socialize the kittens and adopt them out? Or have you checked into local shelters/hospitals to see if there's any kind of a capture/release program for getting the cats fixed?

There would be a #5, but I keep telling my husband that it's not nice to steal the neighbour's cat (who dines here pretty much everyday).[/QUOTE]

OMGoodness I'm feeding a neighbour's cat as well and trying really hard not to "steal" him lol. I started feeding a stray kitten that mysteriously came to my door and the kitten and the neighbour's cat are bffs so I let him in and give him food also. Now he sits on his porch looking over at my door waiting for me to come out so he can come over and get his meal. lol My dad always says I should be a veterinarian because of how animals respond to me. I do love animals especially cats but I couldn't deal with seeing them sickly or abused, not to mention when you can't save them and have to put them down.