Fendi baguette rescue (including DIY dye)

JenJenH8Fakes

Jun 11, 2017
I bought my first vintage LV bag a couple of months ago and now I'm all into the pre-loved stuff. I've 3 small kids and would stash my good stuff in my closet. When I have a new/perfect bag, that first ding just kills me! I want to baby my kids, not my bags. With the vintage bags, I can throw them around a little (plus buy more of them ).

So I bought an old Fendi bag that had seen better days.
IMG_9719.jpg
Most people are turned off by the hardware, but this is fixable! Also, you can see major fading in the leather, but this is thick hardy leather that can take abuse and multiple dye jobs--much like my own hair.

But boy, abuse it I did. In fixing the hardware, the black tarnish stuck to the leather like glue! Also, saddle soap may not have been the best way to clean up the mess. Tarragon dye, here we go!

Step 1: preparer liquid added to leather making the dark spots look really bad!
IMG_9727.JPG

I picked shade 105 which was darker than I expected when dried.IMG_9731.JPG

You can see the new vs old color. I figured I can change the color again if I'm bored or hate it.IMG_9734.JPG

1st coat
IMG_9735.JPG

Finished bag! I was to lazy to do more than 2 coats. I did add Apple conditioner after the dye job and two coats of polish in the same color. This helped tone down the shine. Surprisingly, the polish color didn't exactly match the dye (darker, muddier).

Final step, color the stitching. I used a silver sharpie followed by a china marker in white to seal it.

Good enough for me! Now, I can throw this bag on my car floor and not care since all
seats are occupied.IMG_9737.JPG IMG_9746.JPG

Some things I learned for next time, polish hardware with more care. The polish wasn't even working! I had to use my 4-way nail file to grind the scratches off before polishing! But the hardware is shiney now!

Use a gentler leather cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_9740.JPG
    IMG_9740.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_9742.JPG
    IMG_9742.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 446
I bought my first vintage LV bag a couple of months ago and now I'm all into the pre-loved stuff. I've 3 small kids and would stash my good stuff in my closet. When I have a new/perfect bag, that first ding just kills me! I want to baby my kids, not my bags. With the vintage bags, I can throw them around a little (plus buy more of them ).

View attachment 3733605
Most people are turned off by the hardware, but this is fixable! Also, you can see major fading in the leather, but this is thick hardy leather that can take abuse and multiple dye jobs--much like my own hair.

But boy, abuse it I did. In fixing the hardware, the black tarnish stuck to the leather like glue! Also, saddle soap may not have been the best way to clean up the mess. Tarragon dye, here we go!

View attachment 3733611

I picked shade 105 which was darker than I expected when dried.View attachment 3733612

You can see the new vs old color. I figured I can change the color again if I'm bored or hate it.View attachment 3733613

1st coat
View attachment 3733614

Finished bag! I was to lazy to do more than 2 coats. I did add Apple conditioner after the dye job and two coats of polish in the same color. This helped tone down the shine. Surprisingly, the polish color didn't exactly match the dye (darker, muddier).

Final step, color the stitching. I used a silver sharpie followed by a china marker in white to seal it.

Good enough for me! Now, I can throw this bag on my car floor and not care since all
seats are occupied.View attachment 3733606 View attachment 3733610

Some things I learned for next time, polish hardware with more care. The polish wasn't even working! I had to use my 4-way nail file to grind the scratches off before polishing! But the hardware is shiney now!

:nuts:WOW! What a dye job!!!

Reactions: JenJenH8Fakes

View attachment 3733605

View attachment 3733611

I picked shade 105 which was darker than I expected when dried.View attachment 3733612

You can see the new vs old color. I figured I can change the color again if I'm bored or hate it.View attachment 3733613

1st coat
View attachment 3733614

You truly are quite an artisan, FANTASTIC!!!!

View attachment 3733605
Most people are turned off by the hardware, but this is fixable! .

I love your DIY Fendi! Such wonderful results:tup:

WOW! Your patience and skills are amazing and admirable. Great job on rescuing this cutie~ I like the dye job you did on it and it looks fresh and renewed and ready for more fun in its remaining days. :smile:

View attachment 3733605

View attachment 3733611

1st coat
View attachment 3733614

Hi! I know this is old but what did you clean the hardware with? Looks great btw!

Reactions: myeurocrush
yes I would love to know exactly what you did to the hardware! I too have found a new love for vintage bags but have no idea how to improve scratched/tarnished hardware like that....