Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease

Tink99

Oct 20, 2010
Hi all, Last night I had to take my 5 yr. old, male cat, Jay, to the emergency clinic. He was diagnosed with FLUTD. They immediatly took him in to perform the procedure to remove the blockage. They flushed his bladder and placed in a catheter.

Jay was transfered this morning to his regular vet for continued care. He will be there for a few days while the catheter is in place and at least a day after it is removed.
The ER vet informed me that there is a high chance for recurrance.

I know other animal lovers understand how worrisome it is to have a sick fur baby. I'd like to ask all of my fellow animal lovers for some prayers for Jay. :smile:

Any advice on after care would be much appreciated as well!

Poor baby. Years ago I had a cat block. I got him to the vet right away and they cleared the blockage and flushed his bladder. I changed the food and bought him a water fountain. It never happened again and he died 10+ years later from something unrelated. Leaving him at the vet's was so hard even though I knew he was in good hands. I cried all the way home. Definitely sending many prayers that Jay recovers quickly and never has another problem. I would ask your vet for a food recommendation and buy an inexpensive water fountain. It helps them drink more and keep the bladder flushed. Get better soon, Jay. We would love to see a pic of the little guy. :smile:

I will keep you and Jay in my thoughts.

It sounds like you are doing everything right, and Jay has a good chance to get better.

If you haven't already done it, see if your vet can test the stones/crystals and see what kind you are dealing with. The special diet and extra water can often manage things quite well after Jay is unplugged.

There is a surgery that might be needed if Jay continues to block, the initials are P/U. Your vet may mention this to you as well. They don't like to do it if they don't have to, but it does work.

My Willy (RIP) ended up getting the P/U surgery after he kept blocking after they removed his catheter. It was kind of scary for me, but Willy seemed to be very happy after it was done. Willy's philosophy was that as long as he could eat and pee, life was good. :P

He ended up dying from a heart condition a few years later, but I don't regret anything we did to keep him around.

Cindi-Thank you for keeping Jay in your thoughts and prayers. The vet has recommended food that Jay will be on for life. We will be getting some water fountains to place around the house as well. Glad to hear that your cat had went on to enjoy many years after FLUTD.

Cats n bags- The vet did tell me that the type of crystals he had are struvite. She said these are able to be managed with the food he will be on. I guess I'm most afraid of an immediate recurrance. We did talk about P/U being an option if necessary. I'm praying it doesn't come to that. Thank you for keeping Jay in your thoughts.

I did have a cat a few years ago who had crystals as well. He wasn't blocked when we initially found out so it wasn't so scary. He did quite well for a few years eating C/D. We ended up losing him to heart disease a few months before we adopted Jay 5 years ago.

Oh I really feel for you and Jay. When Clyde went through that he had to be unblocked at the emergency vet - I still remember how scared I was. However - for the rest of his life he was on prescribed food and a daily capsule of Cystaid and he never had another problem with crystals. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you both.

My cat Gozer went through this 3 times within a 6 month period and I finally opted for the surgery, but I wish I had been more proactive with diet instead of waffling about it (hard to contemplate making radical changes with ten cats!) We finally did make a diet change, to a raw diet--the Raw Diet thread right here in this subforum is what pushed me over the edge (thanks again, Nolia!) I have 6 other male cats besides the Goze and do NOT want to go through that drama--and expense!!--again.

Dietary changes are key. Definitely switch your cat to the prescription diet recommended by your vet or, better yet, do some research into the raw diet. If you do even a little reading on the subject I think you'll be pretty shocked at how bad commercial cat food is for cats.

Here's Nolia's thread, if you're interested:

http://forum.purseblog.com/animalicious/raw-feeding-cats-dogs-my-journey-what-ive-677292.html

She lists several good referrences and I'd like to add one, as well:

http://www.feline-nutrition.org

Good luck to you and your Kitty!

Thank you all for your kind words and advice!

Jay came home last night and has been doing well. I'm praying that he continues to do so. He seems to be in much better spirits here with his family! He is eating his S/D food very well so we'll continue with that until told otherwise.

Madamefifi- Thanks for the links on the raw diet..I will be looking into that!

Hi all,

My cat was just at the vet for two days as he was blocked...he also had a catheter and an IV... He has been home for two days and is taking clavamox and prazosin... He is still very quiet and sleepy- also does not pee much... Twice a day but little... Is that normal? Does it take a while until he is back to normal or should i take him back to the vet??

Appreciate all input! Soo worried

Hi there - my cat wentbthrough the same. He has been home 2 days and still not normal. He only pees twice a day and just sleep - eats but not as usual- was it the same with ur cat?

Hi there - my cat wentbthrough the same. He has been home 2 days and still not normal. He only pees twice a day and just sleep - eats but not as usual- was it the same with ur cat?

I think as long as he is peeing without straining or looking like he is in discomfort, he will be fine. As for the sleepiness, if he was put out to clear the obstruction, well, it'll take him a while to get back to normal....if he still seems lethargic today, and is eating less than normal, it might be an idea to call the vet and ask for an opinion.....good luck, I know how scary this is!

Rola13 said:
Hi all,

My cat was just at the vet for two days as he was blocked...he also had a catheter and an IV... He has been home for two days and is taking clavamox and prazosin... He is still very quiet and sleepy- also does not pee much... Twice a day but little... Is that normal? Does it take a while until he is back to normal or should i take him back to the vet??

Appreciate all input! Soo worried
I'm so sorry to hear that you & your kitty are going through this.
When I had brought Jay home after his blockage, he was quite sleepy from the meds as well. I had the same questions as to what was normal urination for him. The vet said every cat has there own "normal". Is it the same amount and frequencies as before the blockage?
Does he appear to be straining? Does he visit the box without producing anything?
After Jay got sick, I started keeping a daily "potty log" for my kitties. I keep track of when they go, the amount the go and note any changes. It has helped to see there patterns and know if anyone needs a vet visit before it gets too bad.
It took Jay a good 3 months to get back to normal. He was very sensitve and would scoot on the carpet. I believe he was irritated from the litter dust. I wish the vet would have suggested shredded paper in the box. It didn't cross my mind until well after he healed. This may be something you want to look into for your kitty until they are fully recovered.
I will be sending healing thoughts for your kitty! I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know how scary it is.