Feeling scared of the world lately.......

A lot of what seemed better in the past was actually not. The world has always had war, famine, crime, natural disasters, etc. And then consider that healthcare was worse, we had fewer vaccines and fewer treatments for disease. There was a time in American history (granted, it was long ago) when families could expect to lose at least 1 in 5 children or more, and childbirth was far less safe for women.

People throughout time have felt that the "end times" (if you believe that sort of thing; I don't) were near. Indeed, many prophets from Holy Texts spoke as though they expected to see the end of days themselves. Tragedy always seems worse when we live it ourselves. It is little consolation, but almost every previous generation has known the fear and the despair that you feel now. But the world did not end for them, and it will not end for you, either.

I know.. I can somehow feel it too! War in Iraq & Afghanistan, Earthquakes in Japan and Indonesia. A lot more in USA, different kinds of stuffs, etc. etc. etc. Oh God.. Please help us.. :sad:

It does seem like we're heading into a downward spiral as a society with the deterioration of moral values. There seems to a deterioration in the foundation that is marriage and family. Marriage and family is the bedrock of society. I have noticed that there is less respect for marriage among people. Less shame among our society as a whole.

I never knew why we were put here until I had my son.

I think we are here to just love one another...to do good to others and keep our hearts open, no matter how hard it is or how much we get hurt. That is what I love about tPF. It's not just material things that flow through here; there are prayer requests and ladies who just need a shoulder to lean on...I love this place. It is quite fullfilling to me to come here and send prayers for those who need them and to know that if I ever need anything, this will be the first place that I come to.

Thank you to all of you who have opened your heart to me! I look forward to returning the favor someday!

My view on the world, and people as a whole, has been shaken.

Last June, my cousin was driving home in her small town at night. Two men forced her SUV off of the road, then pulled her out of the vehicle. They drove around for two hours and took turns raping her. They then stabbed her 18 times and took her to a ditch, where they tried to break her neck. The only reason she survived is because she pretended to be dead. When they left, she managed to crawl a mile away to someone's house to get help.

Then this February, my dad's friend's teenage daughter went out on a date. She never returned. Her 'date' raped her and then shot her, dumping her body out in the desert.

I went with my dad searching for her. I am crying right now as I type this...I just visited the memorial website that her family set up for her.

I helped searched for her body...the sadness and horror of walking through the remote desert searching for her body will be something that I can NEVER forget.

A lot of what seemed better in the past was actually not. The world has always had war, famine, crime, natural disasters, etc. And then consider that healthcare was worse, we had fewer vaccines and fewer treatments for disease. There was a time in American history (granted, it was long ago) when families could expect to lose at least 1 in 5 children or more, and childbirth was far less safe for women.

People throughout time have felt that the "end times" (if you believe that sort of thing; I don't) were near. Indeed, many prophets from Holy Texts spoke as though they expected to see the end of days themselves. Tragedy always seems worse when we live it ourselves. It is little consolation, but almost every previous generation has known the fear and the despair that you feel now. But the world did not end for them, and it will not end for you, either.
Amen Sister!:wlae: You can't worry about things you have no control over. Just enjoy your life. You do have control on to be happy or not. Postive things breed more postive, and the same is true for negative-JMHO:heart:

sure there have always been famines, disasters and war. but never so much, so close together and so frequent. scripture addresses this alot as all being signs and "birthing pains". in the the scheme of things, mankind has not been around as long as creation has. so we may very well be coming close to the end of this existence as we know it. you can't ignore the science of how man is destroying our world and each other. there is no big mystery here as God told us beforehand what to expect. but we do have free choice to believe and trust in Him or not. I hope you take this as encouragement and not preachiness that there is hope and your heart does not have to be troubled.
Thats all. :love: I don't like to think that any of my PF buddies are stessin' out! My PM is always open!

I don't know about the "end of the world," but in terms of the changes and new challenges that lie ahead, I think it is a question of comfort level.

History is there for the reading, but its lessons, analysis of events, delving into perspectives far from those to which one is accustomed, is not something that everyone is going to be comfortable with.

What we can all do is enjoy every day, try to do some good where we can, and do our best to be the best human beings we can be!

sure there have always been famines, disasters and war. but never so much, so close together and so frequent. scripture addresses this alot as all being signs and "birthing pains". in the the scheme of things, mankind has not been around as long as creation has. so we may very well be coming close to the end of this existence as we know it. you can't ignore the science of how man is destroying our world and each other. there is no big mystery here as God told us beforehand what to expect. but we do have free choice to believe and trust in Him or not. I hope you take this as encouragement and not preachiness that there is hope and your heart does not have to be troubled.
Thats all. :love: I don't like to think that any of my PF buddies are stessin' out! My PM is always open!

Wonderful post! ITA!

Again, I respectfully disagree. It is quite likely that the wars, famines and natural disasters of the past were as common an occurance as they are now. But less population density and less advanced weaponry made the losses fewer. Destruction of much of the written texts in Egypt and other ancient civilizations makes determining the natural disasters an archaeological event, but we know that floods, vocanoes and storms occurred with frequency in the past as well, and that "plagues" like locusts came in cycles (just as they do today).

I take the evidence of past turbulence as encouragement that this, too, will pass. The prophets of old did not see their predictions that the end would occur during their lifetimes come true. I prefer to look toward the future with hope, not of the destruction of mankind by an omnipotent presence, but rather hope in the continuing lives and futures of my children and grandchildren.

And with that, I will contribute no further. I believe that politics and religion are not appreciated topics in the forum, and I think some of us are walking a fine line (myself included). I don't wish to cause any animosity among people, regardless of world view or faith, and I respect very much the contributors to this thread and this board in general. I, too, am trying to emphasize encouragement, just from a different perspective.

My view on the world, and people as a whole, has been shaken.

Last June, my cousin was driving home in her small town at night. Two men forced her SUV off of the road, then pulled her out of the vehicle. They drove around for two hours and took turns raping her. They then stabbed her 18 times and took her to a ditch, where they tried to break her neck. The only reason she survived is because she pretended to be dead. When they left, she managed to crawl a mile away to someone's house to get help.

Then this February, my dad's friend's teenage daughter went out on a date. She never returned. Her 'date' raped her and then shot her, dumping her body out in the desert.

I went with my dad searching for her. I am crying right now as I type this...I just visited the memorial website that her family set up for her.

I helped searched for her body...the sadness and horror of walking through the remote desert searching for her body will be something that I can NEVER forget.

HOLY!!!!!! *love and prayers* go out to your and those loved ones....how awful.....its so disturbing....:wtf: Im am at a loss for words.....

Your right....the only thing I count on is my faith....thats part of the reason I do worry so much...the signs of the end does seem like its happening......:sad:

You are so wonderful, thank you for your kind words!!!! I really appreciate and value my fellow Pfers....:heart:

Love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!