Workplace feeling like your out of your league

BoriquaNina

♥ Loves To Strass ♥
Apr 11, 2011
About a year ago I quit my very stable and successful Accounting job in the fashion industry. I've pretty much worked in accounting my entire career and though it is something that came naturally to me I never really enjoyed it. After much convincing my DBF got me to take the plunge and I took time to "find myself". Somehow a few months into my planned vacation some friends insisted that I start a business. I am very crafty and am constantly working on a project of some kind and have always loved using my hands & for over a decade people always complimented me on my creations.

So I did and the business is doing wonderfully! I'm currently bringing home about the same or a lil more than I was at my accounting job monthly and constantly busy. Things really seem to be picking up and I couldn't be happier but lately I've been feeling odd.

Most of my clients are quite wealthy and though I am not a millionaire, I am not hurting for money. I am 25 and have been 100% independent and living on my own since I was 19. Lately because of my clients i have been feeling like the "poor kid" in school. It is silly I know but I am trying to save up for a house and working my little tushy off to improve my credit score while surrounded by $20m homes and people who's closets are the size of my bedroom.

i don't want what they have, in fact i want to move to a rural area with my boyfriend, dog and cat but i can't help but feel like I'm a bit of a second class citizen which of course snowballs into i should go back to the acctg thing have stability and be amongst people closer to my "level". I know it is not them and it is probably completely ridiculous to feel this way but i wonder does anyone else have a job/career where you feel you are surrounded by people of a much higher income and feel a little out of place?

I don't work in a career like that, but I went to a HS where everyone was very, very, wealthy. My family is upper class but these people are like major millionaires. Even though I drove a BMW at 16, had all the nice clothes, I still felt second to them. So, I understand what you are saying. However, I think the key is to keep things in perspective. No, you may not have all that they do, but think of all you have compared to other people! Think about people who have nothing! Also, just because they are wealthy doesn't mean they have a better life than you or are happier than you. Money certainly does not buy happiness, and for all you know they could be absolutely miserable in their life.

Just a little food for thought :smile: hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk more!

Sounds like you are doing great! Accounting is a great field for women.

(Don't anyone compare oneself to those who've had years longer to work & build up their lives.)

You only go around once in life, live it where & how you see fit!

I think if the job/career you're doing now makes you happier than your accounting job, you should stick it out. It sounds like all you really need is a change in perception/mentality about your situation versus those of your clients :smile: The fact that you like your job, overall, is something not everyone can claim! Feel fortunate for that alone.

Back when I worked for a non-profit I would help out with special events/galas/donor functions and was frequently in the presence of people who were of way higher means than me. I remember going home from an event hosted at a donor's beautiful row house one night to my dingy and cold apartment feeling a little sad and jealous (and like the poor kid in school). Other than that, though, I didn't let any of the economic disparity issue really bother me. Not to sound defeatist, but it is what it is. Ultimately, I have my means and my circle and the donors I worked with have theirs. Overall, it was all very positive. I was able to enjoy my fair share of the niceties of wealth by being at these events (great food and wine come to mind).

Sounds cliche, but focusing on the positive things going on in your life will make you less concerned about how your clients are living theirs. I assume that you only work with your clients, right (i.e. they haven't become friends)? Working for people of greater means is one thing, running with a crowd of them is another. Cliche, again, but volunteering or helping others who are in far worse situations could help change the way you're feeling.

I say keep your business and do what you can to focus on the work and not the lifestyle of the people paying you.

On a side note, accounting does seem like a pretty stable gig, so keep that in you back pocket in case you need to go back to it.

Thanks for the feedback! It normally doesn't bother me but I think I am just having one of those weeks (I freaked out yesterday and insisted to my boyfriend that I needed to lose 30lbs). Lol

You guys are right there are a lot of people worse off and i am in such a happy place in my life right now! I will try to keep things in perspective.

I don't work in a career like that, but I went to a HS where everyone was very, very, wealthy. My family is upper class but these people are like major millionaires. Even though I drove a BMW at 16, had all the nice clothes, I still felt second to them. So, I understand what you are saying. However, I think the key is to keep things in perspective. No, you may not have all that they do, but think of all you have compared to other people! Think about people who have nothing! Also, just because they are wealthy doesn't mean they have a better life than you or are happier than you. Money certainly does not buy happiness, and for all you know they could be absolutely miserable in their life.

Just a little food for thought :smile: hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk more!

Sounds cliche, but focusing on the positive things going on in your life will make you less concerned about how your clients are living theirs. I assume that you only work with your clients, right (i.e. they haven't become friends)? Working for people of greater means is one thing, running with a crowd of them is another. Cliche, again, but volunteering or helping others who are in far worse situations could help change the way you're feeling.

This :tup:

I think you should keep a couple of things in mind...First of all, just because people spend a lot of money or come across as wealthy, doesn't mean that their bank accounts reflect that. I have known many people who lived 'wealthy,' but were actually living paycheck to paycheck. Secondly, you are only 25 and your business is still relatively new. For most of us, wealth is not just handed to us, we have to work for it. Give it five or ten years and you will have surpassed all of your clients!

VERY good points! Thank you! I will definitely keep them in mind next time I feel awkward.

I think you should keep a couple of things in mind...First of all, just because people spend a lot of money or come across as wealthy, doesn't mean that their bank accounts reflect that. I have known many people who lived 'wealthy,' but were actually living paycheck to paycheck. Secondly, you are only 25 and your business is still relatively new. For most of us, wealth is not just handed to us, we have to work for it. Give it five or ten years and you will have surpassed all of your clients!

Accounting will ALWAYS be there - Continue to focus on your business venture. If you are doing it well and with passion, then you are successful!

And remember....
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm in a business where some of my clients have a lot more money than I do.

I look at it this way.. without them, I have no business.. so I'm VERY glad :smile:

I can TOTALLY relate to that!!!

I've graduated from a really prestigious and pretty expensive school in my country where only the rich people could send their kids.

My parents were and still are upper-class, we live in a nice house, went to nice places for vacation etc. BUT there were some kids whose parents were gazzilionairs with private jets, private chalets in Switzerland etc. When I was compairing myself to them, I always found myself inferior! I had to graduate and go to uni to see how normal (low and middle class) folks live and realize how priviledged I was growing up.

Everything is a matter of comparison. When you compare yourslef to those who are more fortunate you'll find yourself inferior. However, keep in mind that there are people who not only make less but are unable to provide the basics for their family.

Eva1991 said:
I can TOTALLY relate to that!!!

I've graduated from a really prestigious and pretty expensive school in my country where only the rich people could send their kids.

My parents were and still are upper-class, we live in a nice house, went to nice places for vacation etc. BUT there were some kids whose parents were gazzilionairs with private jets, private chalets in Switzerland etc. When I was compairing myself to them, I always found myself inferior! I had to graduate and go to uni to see how normal (low and middle class) folks live and realize how priviledged I was growing up.

Everything is a matter of comparison. When you compare yourslef to those who are more fortunate you'll find yourself inferior. However, keep in mind that there are people who not only make less but are unable to provide the basics for their family.

Exactly. Going to college was a huge culture shock, but a much needed one. I appreciate everything I have about 1000 times more now.

I commend you on quitting your job to follow what you want to do. I honestly don't even have the balls to figure out what I want to do with my life, which sucks because technically I am in B-School for my MBA for that. I am going back to banking and some of my friends in this industry have AmEx Black cards, townhouses, and yachts (I know crazy). My mentality is that there is always going to be someone with more money than you, smarter than you, prettier than you, and etc. At one point, I was just very upset about this because I felt that I had a lot to offer yet there was always going to be someone better than me. Now, I use that to motivate me and it really changed my priorities in life. I am more appreciative of the things I have since I know there are so many people in worse positions. You meet a lot of different people especially in B-School. Kids who parents are on the board for certain banks and companies. My friends who are uber wealthy have never made me feel "poor" or anything less. You shouldn't feel like a second class citizen. You should be proud of what you are achieving on your own! You are happy with your career and that is so important in life.