Feeling despondent !

Nov 15, 2012
So anyone who has been following my posts this week will know I have surprisingly found myself on the hunt for a pre-loved black City bag.....I have had several authenticated (or not !) but I'm in the UK and its just come to my notice today that if I buy a bag from the US (where most of the good ones are from !) then I am liable for extra import taxes. I've calculated approx. additional costs for buying a bag from the US and its prohibitively expensive, I may as well purchase a new bag ( which I cant!)
So, I have now no choice but to narrow my search to UK based bags only and there are so few around it seems.

I am SO desperate to get my bag and just wanted to come on here and stamp my feet !!!!! :sad: I feel SO disappointed and sad !

Last edited:
I feel your pain! I remember years ago buying a Marc Jacobs bag from US eBay and feeling very proud of myself as it was brand new and only cost about £300. I then got a collection note through my door telling me I had to pay £100 customs tax before I could pick it up. Needless to say I haven't bought from outside Europe since.

Keep checking out eBay UK though, you might get lucky. I wish I could suggest other places for you to look within UK but I tend to stick to eBay or directly from Balenciaga. Good luck and I hope you find your perfect bag soon :search:

I feel your pain! I remember years ago buying a Marc Jacobs bag from US eBay and feeling very proud of myself as it was brand new and only cost about £300. I then got a collection note through my door telling me I had to pay £100 customs tax before I could pick it up. Needless to say I haven't bought from outside Europe since.

Keep checking out eBay UK though, you might get lucky. I wish I could suggest other places for you to look within UK but I tend to stick to eBay or directly from Balenciaga. Good luck and I hope you find your perfect bag soon :search:
Have you thought about a Town instead of a City? It's smaller than a City but bigger than a First and has a longer strap to wear crossbody. Just a suggestion as I've seen a gorgeous black Town on eBay (located in UK) that looks in great condition and nice leather, might be worth taking a look.

Have you thought about a Town instead of a City? It's smaller than a City but bigger than a First and has a longer strap to wear crossbody. Just a suggestion as I've seen a gorgeous black Town on eBay (located in UK) that looks in great condition and nice leather, might be worth taking a look.

Thank you Sazzy :smile:

I have been thinking about the Town, but am truly in love with the City . . . I will check ebay, thank you so much :smile:
I think if I keep the faith, my bag with turn up, but I'm just so darned impatient !!!!

Thanks again !
x

Thank you Sazzy :smile:

I have been thinking about the Town, but am truly in love with the City . . . I will check ebay, thank you so much :smile:
I think if I keep the faith, my bag with turn up, but I'm just so darned impatient !!!!

Thanks again !
x
Ahh I know what you mean, I love the City too, it's the perfect size. I'm sure one will turn up that is exactly what you want, I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see one.

As someone else has mentioned, there are also sites like Vestiaire Collective where you can get pre-loved in Europe so no customs tax. I'm sure your HG bag is out there and will be worth the wait x

Ahh I know what you mean, I love the City too, it's the perfect size. I'm sure one will turn up that is exactly what you want, I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see one.

As someone else has mentioned, there are also sites like Vestiaire Collective where you can get pre-loved in Europe so no customs tax. I'm sure your HG bag is out there and will be worth the wait x

Thanks again for all your helpful comments Sazzy . . . . fingers and toes crossed, this is becoming somewhat of an obsession !!!!

You should know that on Balenciaga.com, the price for Velo in UK is about $400 USD less than in US. I found one for $425 USD (1000-1100 euros) vs. $1835/$1895 in the US on same Balenciaga.com website.

May be worth checking Balenciaga.com for a new bag if you are in the UK -a s price appears to be MUCH cheaper than in the US.

Just a tip...

You should know that on Balenciaga.com, the price for Velo in UK is about $400 USD less than in US. I found one for $425 USD (1000-1100 euros) vs. $1835/$1895 in the US on same Balenciaga.com website.

May be worth checking Balenciaga.com for a new bag if you are in the UK -a s price appears to be MUCH cheaper than in the US.

Just a tip...

Hi Rocketgirl
Sadly new prices are out of my league . . . pre-loved is my only option, but thank you (and wow what a price difference ?!)

xx

Last edited:
Try Vestiaire and the other French one (sorry can't remember the name) - no fees in Europe, and also hardlyeverwornit

I thought I might have found my HG bag, but upon researching Vestiaire on here, oh my gosh, it seems they sell SO many fakes, I simply cant risk it.

I feel exasperated, ebay has nothing but fakes.....its a minefield and I am so very grateful to our fab authenticators on here, I will not part with a penny without the go ahead from our kind ladies.

The search continues :sad: . . . .

ITA with this. Rainneday should know, she's probably one of the true experts here at finding Bal HGs ;)

You really are too kind :heart: (and I am very flattered :blush:)
I've only been at it for a year and some odd months, can you imagine having been a collector for 10 years (or more) as some of the ladies on here have been? They must feel like they completed a course at university! :amazed:
It is true though, just when you think that what you want won't ever turn up and you are ready to "settle", something in the universe shifts and there it is.
I wish I had started researching and collecting years ago but I never had the funds, so I know how *huge* buying your first B Bag can feel after a long wait. If you use that time to study and search when the perfect bag pops up you will be ready to jump on it!

Last edited:
You really are too kind :heart: (and I am very flattered :blush:)
I've only been at it for a year and some odd months, can you imagine having been a collector for 10 years (or more) as some of the ladies on here have been? They must feel like they completed a course at university! :amazed:
It is true though, just when you think that what you want won't ever turn up and you are ready to "settle", something in the universe shifts and there it is.
I wish I had started researching and collecting years ago but I never had the funds, so I know how *huge* buying your first B Bag can feel after a long wait. If you use that time to study and search when the perfect bag pops up you will be ready to jump on it!

Great advice, thank you so much. Yes, this is HUGE to me, I didn't expect to be able to own one, I have spent years lusting and sighing at other people with theirs, and now, well, I am impatient but the prize will be so much sweeter when I get what I really want.
I keep looking at other styles of bag but my heart only sings for the City, and this is what I will hold out for !
Thanks for understanding !
x