Feeling a bit guilty about first birkin. Need advice

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I went into mad ave on my bday and they had a 30cm black with ghw. My husband bought it but I feel a bit guilty ( I always do when I purchase something big for myself). I know that I will wear it forever but it is do $$ and I guess I was not expecting it to be in store so it was a bit of a shock. Anyone else feel the same?

2. Yes, every big H purchase. Hopefully it will pass. Good luck with your lovely bag. It's timeless :smile:

3. I think you should enjoy it, and treasure it always (which I'm sure you will!). It is made even more special by the fact that it is a birthday gift from your husband, and you will always remember it is such. Enjoy it, and congratulations!! It is a completely classic color/hardware combination that will never go out of style!

4. Congratulations on a gorgeous bag and a sweet DH! A black B is a classic and so much more precious because your DH gave it to you. I do understand your feeling; it is a lot of money, but it will be worth it!

5. I totally know how you feel! I had wanted my birkin for so long, but when I finally got it I kept thinking of all the other less selfish things that money could be spent on. However it had been promised me for my 40th birthday (still can't get used to saying that number!) & was nowhere near as expensive as my husband's sports car that he bought himself for his 40th!

I love the bag to bits (hopefully not literally!) and it puts a smile on my face every time I look at it, because I had been after it for so long :biggrin:

So I say enjoy your bag, your husband wouldn't have bought it for you unless he thought you were worth it! :P

6. I always feel guilty after such a big purchase. I know exactly how you feel.

With time and thought, though, you will come around to realize that this is a special gift from someone who loves you and what an extraordinary memory you have to go along with this birthday!!

Happy B-day by the way! Enjoy your new bag in the best of health!:drinkup:

7. Thanks ladies!

8. I never feel guilty about being good to myself - life is too short to do that. Guilt is the heartburn of life - don't let it steal your joy:sunshine:

9. Many congrats on your first Birkin. I was exactly like you when I received my first B. It is a shock and I felt ridiculously indulgent but the more I used my bag the more I realised how much I love it. This is a lifetime bag that will not go out of style or be sitting in your closet a couple of seasons from now. For that pleasure alone it is worth it and believe me it won't be long before you are lusting after another one!

10. Congrats! Enjoy it. It is such a beautiful bag.

11. I agree! Enjoy it in the best of health.

12. My birkins have outperformed the stock market and the real estate market.

Enjoy it. It was given in love and it is a classic. You could have bought ten lesser bags, and in a few years they would very possibly be forgotten or replaced...

The only bag that I still have after nearly two decades is my first Hermes--a black kelly. And I still use it, happily.

13. ^^I agree with Perigord. Very well said.

Now reveal this beauty for us all to see!!!!!

14. Completely agree....you only live once....you mind as well enjoy the time spent with as many beautiful things as possible.....the alternative is certainly not acceptable....

15. You should enjoy it and think of it as an investment.