Feedback question for fake bag

buffalogal

O.G.
Jul 22, 2006
I have been on eBay forever and have never left a negative on a transaction where I was the buyer (just a few for non-paying bidders as a seller back in the old days). My hubby bought me a bag that he knew I was looking for - seller has 8000+ feedback and no comments about fakes. And of course he didn't know about authenticating before the sale.

Anyway, I got the bag, it looked off and I posted it here for authentication. Or non-authentication is more like it ... I also ordered a brand new one online at Nordstrom and could immediately see the differences when the new one arrived. I contacted the seller who instantly responded that their Singapore supplier guarantees them authenticity but they'd refund no questions asked and sent me a prepaid return label. My money was refunded with no issues.

I have been leaning toward not leaving any feedback but feel conflicted as to if I should say something about authenticity. The seller seems to sell a lot of these types of items.

Thoughts?

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
Hmm. This is a tough one.

Would you (or DH) have bought the bag if you knew the seller sold fakes?

You say the seller sells a lot of (I assume) designer bags and if she's getting them from a "Singapore supplier," I tend to doubt that yours was the only fake.

My guess is that this isn't the seller's first rodeo and she has avoided negs by doing exactly what she's did with you -- offer full refund, no questions asked and even paying return shipping.

While it's hard to neg someone when they respond that way, that's how a lot of habitual fake sellers get away with it.

MarneeB

~Love My Dogs~
O.G.
Mar 15, 2009
As 'nice' as the seller seemed, I think I would still leave a negative. How else would you warn other buyers? I'd hate to think of all the buyers this seller ripped off and left positive feedback. Just my 2 cents.

JustAgUrL

O.G.
Oct 11, 2007
Hmm. This is a tough one.

Would you (or DH) have bought the bag if you knew the seller sold fakes?

You say the seller sells a lot of (I assume) designer bags and if she's getting them from a "Singapore supplier," I tend to doubt that yours was the only fake.

My guess is that this isn't the seller's first rodeo and she has avoided negs by doing exactly what she's did with you -- offer full refund, no questions asked and even paying return shipping.

While it's hard to neg someone when they respond that way, that's how a lot of habitual fake sellers get away with it.

This + 1 .....

Personally, I would like to know who this seller is, so that we can keep an eye on their auctions
and report any fakes they may still try to pass off as authentic.

People tend to trust higher Feedback sellers to sell them authentic items, and they
think that ebay would stop them if they were selling fakes.....
It is just bad all around.

Apr 15, 2007
This + 1 .....

Personally, I would like to know who this seller is, so that we can keep an eye on their auctions
and report any fakes they may still try to pass off as authentic.

People tend to trust higher Feedback sellers to sell them authentic items, and they
think that ebay would stop them if they were selling fakes.....
It is just bad all around.

Agree here...it is important to report fakes..

Sellers who offer refunds with no questions asked appease buyers & buyers
overlook leaving appropriate feedback to warn other potential buyers

nc.girl

Girly Gear Head
O.G.
Dec 10, 2010
As 'nice' as the seller seemed, I think I would still leave a negative. How else would you warn other buyers? I'd hate to think of all the buyers this seller ripped off and left positive feedback. Just my 2 cents.

Completely agree. I do look at feedback before making a purchase on eBay, and I would definitely want to know if a seller was offering fakes.

Being nice is how these people selling fakes get away with it. The whole "oh I'm so sorry! I had no idea!" thing has gotten really out of hand. I'm sure there are sellers out there who really don't know they're selling a fake (ie: if they're selling a bag from their personal collection and they never had any clue it was fake), but there are a LOT of them that do know, and then just feed you the standard "I had no idea" line in the hopes that you won't neg them when it's discovered that the bag isn't authentic.

buffalogal

O.G.
Jul 22, 2006
Hubby Definitely wouldn't have purchased if he saw any feedback about fakes ... Nor would I! And it looks like in the sold items the seller has sold many similar items that are likely fake as well. The Singapore supplier thing is a big red flag ... . So I will leave my first buying negative ... Thanks for the advice!

sandicat3

O.G.
May 18, 2012
Hubby Definitely wouldn't have purchased if he saw any feedback about fakes ... Nor would I! And it looks like in the sold items the seller has sold many similar items that are likely fake as well. The Singapore supplier thing is a big red flag ... . So I will leave my first buying negative ... Thanks for the advice!
Can you post the sellers ID?

buffalogal

O.G.
Jul 22, 2006
It was unxpected-sales - not sure why but I felt guilty posting a neg ... If I thought they were unaware I'd have let it pass but they sell a lot and should know better!

(if it is not ok to post that here please remove).

DaisyMabel

Dec 14, 2013
If it's the guilty feeling that's putting you off, don't let it! First, you have nothing to be guilty for - if ever negative feedback is deserved, it's in cases like this. Second, your comment is going to massively dent his reputation. That said, your comment could be the deal breaker that saves someone from the same disappointment you went though.

I do understand your reservations though: the jump between negative and neutral seems way bigger than the jump from positive to neutral...