Feedback for buyers?

I had someone put in an offer for something on eBay. She had 8 positive feedbacks, but they all said that she didn't pay, so I didn't accept her offer.
I guess having false positive feedback is better than nothing.
^^I guess that particular buyer didn't realize she could have those neg/pos FB's removed? It's all weighted toward the buyer these days. Your only recourse as a seller is to give a strike if they don't pay, or if buyer leaves you a neg FB (which of course they can do), reply under that neg FB with your comment on the situation. That is a LOT of things to buy and not pay for!

Curious about all the pessimism/cynicism as to the changes: What is the point of the reporting hub if they are not using it to improve their number of listings that close? Research as to whether or not they need to bring back the negative/neutral feedback strike? Taking out the rubbish? Keeping people employed with busy work? Seriously, why bother if there is no movement in the direction of improvement?

They're not changing much. There's a lot of lip service there (about how much more wonderful the eBay experience will be...the usual BS), but they fail to address the one issue that concerns most sellers: their inability to leave anything but positive feedback. Instead, they're implementing a "reporting hub" for sellers to report their experiences with buyers, but this so-called hub is only visible to eBay, for it's own use, and not visible to eBayers. So the one thing they should change if they truly wanted to enhance the feedback system and level the playing field won't change.

Curious about all the pessimism/cynicism as to the changes: What is the point of the reporting hub if they are not using it to improve their number of listings that close? Research as to whether or not they need to bring back the negative/neutral feedback strike? Taking out the rubbish? Keeping people employed with busy work? Seriously, why bother if there is no movement in the direction of improvement?

I don't mean to be snarky, but how long have you been on Ebay? Wait---better yet how long have you been SELLING on Ebay?

There have been so many "improvements" rolled out with great fanfare that were purported to be so great but in fact were incredibly detrimental.

They lie when the truth would sound better.

I don't mean to be snarky, but how long have you been on Ebay? Wait---better yet how long have you been SELLING on Ebay?

There have been so many "improvements" rolled out with great fanfare that were purported to be so great but in fact were incredibly detrimental.

This.

eBay's greed and constant attempts to appear as a safe haven for buyers has created an incredibly hostile environment where sellers are blackmailed by and literally afraid of the buyers. They have essentially ruined the selling experience, and many of us choose to avoid selling on eBay altogether now.

The attitude corresponds to my belief that the so-called changes don't add up to much of a change but are yet another public relations effort meant to counteract eBayers' increasing disenchantment with the company and its unfair practices. Such PR efforts are quite common in the corporate and political world, and I've had more than enough of them shoved down my throat. Their goal is to distract people away from what's troubling them the most and toward some BS program to fill their heads with non-solutions to non-problems while continuing to neglect the real problems. I think these "changes" are nonsense in light of the fact that sellers continue to be limited to positive or no feedback at all when rating their experiences with buyers, regardless of how negative or nightmarish some transactions turn out to be. This renders the feedback system all but ineffective, IMO.

Heck, often all it takes is ONE live chat session to make anyone skeptical if not cynical...or suicidal. :wacko:

110500.gif

...There have been so many "improvements" rolled out with great fanfare that were purported to be so great but in fact were incredibly detrimental.

Xactly. :yes:

With eBay, what you see is pretty much always what you don't get, and what you hear is simply what they want you to hear. In other words, it's one massive pile of b*llsh*t--or cow dung, not to discriminate against bulls...-- dumped one over the other. eBay manure.

I share and understand the concern with not allowing buyers to receive negative feedback. But at the same time, before this was implemented, I really didn't trust feedback at all (as strictly a buyer which I have been for 8 years now and only started selling this summer). Because if I had a negative experience with a seller, I would not reflect that in the feedback because retribution feedback was very very common. If you negged someone they would absolutely neg you back. So a lot of buyers at the time just didn't leave feedback. It kind of worked out to what's going on right now with sellers where you only real option for a negative experience was to just not leave any feedback. And that made it impossible to use feedback in any meaningful way to assess sellers or buyers.

However, I totally agree that it's absurd and crazy that sellers can only leave positive feedback. This system makes feedback a trustworthy mechanism for assessment for a buyer but doesn't help sellers at all.

But are those the only options: either having feedback completely meaningless or having it meaningless for sellers to assess potential buyers? I wonder if there is an alternative? I don't have any answers, I'm just thinking out loud and adding my 2 cents. Because both ways are pretty useless right now. And I absolutely feel for sellers who can't leave appropriate feedback. :shrugs:

It's a buyers paradise. Sellers are the "losers" and IMO, the new proposed changes (discussion hub) don't do a single thing to enhance the seller's experience or provide any incentives to continue selling. A lot of good, honest sellers have decided not to sell and i don't blame them one bit. The feedback system is seriously flawed and as one poster hit the nail on the head, corporate greed always wins. Just my opinions and venting.

Ebay announced recently they are changing feedback. The article is here.

There are many honest, customer service oriented sellers on ebay who are very reasonable when dealing with various issues. I do not like seeing these sellers penalized with outrageous negative feedback comments/accusations because the buyer did not take the time to read the terms and conditions and/or refuses to be governed by the same terms as everyone else.
Agreed.

Many sellers don't leave FB at all rather than leaving a "positive", even a "twisted positive". I know many sellers are not happy with the current ebay regime but it is the proverbial pendulum which is now swung in favour of the buyers. IMO, this is not totally a bad thing. I do think that buyers are more vulnerable than sellers and that there are more scammy sellers out there than scammy buyers.

IMO, the most common buyer offence is not paying. Annoying, yes. Scammy, no. If ebay would deal with these NPB's firmly and consistently, i.e. three strikes and you're out, that would be a good thing.

IMO, the most common seller offence is underdescribing the condition of an item. This goes beyond annoying and can verge on scammy if it is bad enough.

The buyers and sellers from hell that deiberately set out to scam someone or otherwise make the transaction utterly miserable are not that common.

Yes no FB seems to be better than anything. And yes the scammers (and there are more and more of them) usually know what they are doing (buyers and sellers)
Many sellers don't leave FB at all rather than leaving a "positive", even a "twisted positive". I know many sellers are not happy with the current ebay regime but it is the proverbial pendulum which is now swung in favour of the buyers. IMO, this is not totally a bad thing. I do think that buyers are more vulnerable than sellers and that there are more scammy sellers out there than scammy buyers.

IMO, the most common buyer offence is not paying. Annoying, yes. Scammy, no. If ebay would deal with these NPB's firmly and consistently, i.e. three strikes and you're out, that would be a good thing.

IMO, the most common seller offence is underdescribing the condition of an item. This goes beyond annoying and can verge on scammy if it is bad enough.

The buyers and sellers from hell that deiberately set out to scam someone or otherwise make the transaction utterly miserable are not that common.