Feedback Etiquette?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Fall Sale is now live! Save up to 40% on Nordy's best brands, including bags, shoes, clothes, home, and kids'. Click to shop.
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi everyone :smile:

I've been a buyer on ebay since 2003, but I am not a frequent buyer so I'm a little ignorant as to "feedback etiquette."

In the past three months, I've purchased 5 different items. Only 1 of the sellers left me feedback. No word from the other four, although they thanked me (via e-mail) profusely for my quick payment and professionalism. I pay through paypal and I always pay within minutes of winning. As soon as I receive the item in the mail, I leave the seller (positive) feedback.

My question - what are the rules for feedback etiquette? For those of you that are buyers, is there a method to your feedback? Is buyer feedback only given in special circumstances or is it expected? Insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :smile:

2. There are no rules for feedback, some people leave it before you receive the item, others never leave it. With the new feedback rules I suppose some sellers might have just given up on it. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with, its a shame if they dont leave you one though. It would be added to your score.

3. Yeah you don't HAVE to leave feedback but it sure is nice.
    I haven't had a problem getting feedback from sellers but from buyers...I guess I'm just supposed to assume everything was fine?
    It just annoys me when I see they've left other people fb but not me...and even if I've already left THEM fb :shrugs:

4. The sellers are now the only ones that want/need the good feedback. (Sellers can't leave any FB for buyers except positive with this new WACKY ebay system.)If they have already gotten buyer's good FB, a lot of sellers usually couldn't care less about giving FB to buyers.
    It really varies as to who leaves FB. I think it is a courtesy and a vital part of the system, and I always do it, whether I am a buyer or a seller. But the fact that sellers can't leave any negative or neutral FB for buyers is ludicrous. It just means people can buy whatever they want and not pay or whatever... ( buy it, end your auction, develop buyer's remorse, and then say they hit BIN by mistake!!) They don't get reprimanded at all.

5. As a buyer, I always leave FB as soon as I make sure the item is as it's supposed to be.

As a seller, I wait for the buyer.

6. People who don't use ebay much or just casually often do not leave feedback. This is because there is really no reason for them to take a a minute to leave feedback. Many people only feel like giving feedback if they are unhappy with the item.

7. #7 Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
    Oh wow... this is all very insightful, thank you!

For a while I wondered if I was doing something wrong, i.e. asking too many questions or expecting too much by asking for a tracking number... but now it seems like it's a combination of ebay's new policies and general apathy! *sigh*

I guess the feedback for me, as a buyer is irrelevant since I have a feedback score higher than 10... but when I look at the number of items I have purchased compared to how many sellers have left me feedback... I always end up like :shrugs: lol! I get even more confused when I see that a seller who hasn't left me any feedback... has just left feedback for someone else! Oh well!

8. Would agree, but as a seller I find it really disappointing if buyers don't leave feedback. Perhaps I should politely suggest that they might wish to leave me feedback to reflect their satisfaction?:shrugs:

9. If i leave positive feedback for the seller before they leave me mines i always send a e-mail politely asking to return the favor. Since i'm fairly new i tell them i want to build my positive feedback and appreciate it if they left me mines.

10. Send the sellers a reminder. I always do. Sometimes they get busy and forget.

11. I started buying on Ebay in 1999. I took the feedback system very seriously. I always leave it immediately after receiving and examining the item. I expect the seller to extend the same courtesy to me. I can't understand why a seller would go to the time and trouble to send you a personal email thanking you and then not make it "official" but following though with a public one.

I suppose with Ebay's new system re: sellers not being permitted to leave negative FB for buyers that what a buyer has is meaningless. But what if you decide to sell something? You have SOME good feedback and no credit for some OTHER good feedback you EARNED. How fair is that? You may need this feedback someday if you decide to sell.

If you only plan to buy, I suppose it doesn't matter. I know it's silly, but I consider my feedback like an "A" on my report card. :shame: I'm a good buyer and I want to be recognized for it.

12. PS As a new seller, I've been politely asking for FB when the item is sent out. So far, the buyers have been very understanding and nice.

13. The sellers are now the only ones that want/need the good feedback. (Sellers can't leave any FB for buyers except positive with this new WACKY ebay system.)If they have already gotten buyer's good FB, a lot of sellers usually couldn't care less about giving FB to buyers.
    It really varies as to who leaves FB. I think it is a courtesy and a vital part of the system, and I always do it, whether I am a buyer or a seller. But the fact that sellers can't leave any negative or neutral FB for buyers is ludicrous. It just means people can buy whatever they want and not pay or whatever... ( buy it, end your auction, develop buyer's remorse, and then say they hit BIN by mistake!!) They don't get reprimanded at all.