Feedback advice needed

Oct 17, 2007
Hi all,

Today I received a bag I purchased on eBay. The listing described it as "mint", "exquisite" and "no flaws found". The pictures generally supported this assertion.

I inspected the bag upon arrival, and found a relatively large stain in one interior compartment (perhaps ink, not sure--not pictured/mentioned in the listing) as well as some scratching/scuffing on the bottom and sides, and some scratches on the hardware. The lining is dark and the stain is toward the bottom, so I suppose it could have been missed? The scratches/scuffs on leather and hardware aren't overly bad, but definitely noticeable.

Had I listed this item, I would have probably called it very good used condition and detailed the areas of concern--this bag is absolutely not "mint". I don't actually doubt that I could file a SNAD for the stain alone and get a refund, but TBH, I used "make an offer" and got the bag for $40 less than the listing, and I actually am willing to live with these flaws, just feeling disappointed that they weren't disclosed.

I emailed the seller just to let her know, and encouraged her to inspect more thoroughly in the future. I didn't request anything (refund) and did not mention feedback. She hasn't responded to me yet and honestly, it doesn't really matter what she says.

I'm on the fence about feedback. It feels wrong to leave a positive...I'm thinking neutral (not sure this truly warrants a negative). What do you all think?

Hi all,

Today I received a bag I purchased on eBay. The listing described it as "mint", "exquisite" and "no flaws found". The pictures generally supported this assertion.

I inspected the bag upon arrival, and found a relatively large stain in one interior compartment (perhaps ink, not sure--not pictured/mentioned in the listing) as well as some scratching/scuffing on the bottom and sides, and some scratches on the hardware. The lining is dark and the stain is toward the bottom, so I suppose it could have been missed? The scratches/scuffs on leather and hardware aren't overly bad, but definitely noticeable.

Had I listed this item, I would have probably called it very good used condition and detailed the areas of concern--this bag is absolutely not "mint". I don't actually doubt that I could file a SNAD for the stain alone and get a refund, but TBH, I used "make an offer" and got the bag for $40 less than the listing, and I actually am willing to live with these flaws, just feeling disappointed that they weren't disclosed.

I emailed the seller just to let her know, and encouraged her to inspect more thoroughly in the future. I didn't request anything (refund) and did not mention feedback. She hasn't responded to me yet and honestly, it doesn't really matter what she says.

I'm on the fence about feedback. It feels wrong to leave a positive...I'm thinking neutral (not sure this truly warrants a negative). What do you all think?

I'm sorry, that must be very disappointing. :sad:

It's always better to underrate and over describe, rather than over rate & under describe.

Feedback should be honest- but do note that leaving a neutral has the same affect as a negative for sellers. They're both defects. If you believe the seller deserves to take a hit on their account for their error than the neut will accomplish that.

Only you know how bad the damages are and if they were evident in the photos or not.
Would you care to share the link? It would be easier to see how badly the seller flubbed if we saw the actual listing & photos.
Was everything else ok? Packing, shipping time etc..?

There's always the option of leaving a positive but lower DSR's for description too- it just depends on how poorly the description was..

I'm sorry, that must be very disappointing. :sad:

It's always better to underrate and over describe, rather than over rate & under describe.

Feedback should be honest- but do note that leaving a neutral has the same affect as a negative for sellers. They're both defects. If you believe the seller deserves to take a hit on their account for their error than the neut will accomplish that.

Only you know how bad the damages are and if they were evident in the photos or not.
Would you care to share the link? It would be easier to see how badly the seller flubbed if we saw the actual listing & photos.
Was everything else ok? Packing, shipping time etc..?

Hi, thanks for this info. I haven't had to leave a neut or a neg in so long (and I sell only infrequently), I didn't realize they both "ding" the seller (kind of defeats the idea of "neutral" doesn't it?).

Neither the wear/tear to the bag (expected/normal for a used bag), nor the stain (unexpected), were disclosed in the listing or in the pictures. The shipping time was fine. Packing could have been better, but was adequate (shipped in a far smaller box than I would have chosen, which meant the bag was unstuffed and folded in half, and the box itself wasn't sealed particularly well--but to be clear the bag was undamaged from this).

Here's my take and unfortunately, I'm not sure you're going to like it. I do try to be objective though.

Pikabo asked for a link to the listing, a very reasonable request because it would answer many questions, including the experience of the seller.

1. You state: The lining is dark and the stain is toward the bottom, so I suppose it could have been missed?

Although experienced sellers know to closely examine items, including hard-to-get-at spots, inexperienced sellers may not do so. Even your description says that she might have missed it.

2. You state: Had I listed this item, I would have probably called it very good used condition and detailed the areas of concern--this bag is absolutely not "mint"

Based on your description, I agree it's not "mint" but as we've commented many times, "condition" of pre-owned items is very subjective and depending on one's tolerance level, what is "excellent" to one person might be "fair" to another and "trashed" to a third.

Thus how you would list and describe it is bound to be different than another seller. And that's why pictures and description are important and although this request can seem unreasonable, one might anticipate where issues might be and request additional pictures.

I'm not intending to blame you for not asking whether there are unmentioned stains, rips, odors, marks or other flaws but there are those who might suggest it.

3. You stated: I actually am willing to live with these flaws, just feeling disappointed that they weren't disclosed.

This sounds to me like an implied request for a partial refund although you further state that you weren't looking for one. If I were the seller who was emailed "just to let her know, and encouraged her to inspect more thoroughly in the future," I would have taken your comments as a partial request. (You say the seller hasn't responded but depending on when you messaged her, she may not have had the time to prepare a response. If she's working, she might have limited (or no) internet time if it's not work-related.

4. You stated: Neither the wear/tear to the bag (expected/normal for a used bag), nor the stain (unexpected), were disclosed in the listing or in the pictures.

5. You stated: Packing could have been better, but was adequate (shipped in a far smaller box than I would have chosen, which meant the bag was unstuffed and folded in half, and the box itself wasn't sealed particularly well--but to be clear the bag was undamaged from this.

Again, see my response to #1 above. Also, this is where Pikabo's request for a link to the listing would be helpful.

As for packing, again, inexperienced sellers learn over time. None of us did everything perfectly the first time and ebay is certainly a "learn as you go" education.

Although she wasn't a perfect packer (as you might have done it), it was adequate enough that the item got there quickly and undamaged. There are many ways to do things and ultimately, if it's done in a way that no damage is done, that's acceptable.

I would wait to see how the seller responds, if she does. If she is apologetic and offers to take the bag back, I'd give her positive feedback. If she denies responsibility or doesn't respond at all, I'd probably still give positive feedback but ding her description stars (maybe give a 3) and mention the fact that the bag isn't mint as described in the feedback.

In my response, I meant to add that I probably wouldn't leave any feedback, especially if she's new and/or doesn't have a long selling history.

A positive feedback with dinged stars will hurt as much as a neutral or neg.

Hi BB, thanks for chiming in! I always find your feedback helpful. I am not a fan of partials, as a buyer or a seller, and thus would never ask for one. You're absolutely right on the points that you make--I could have definitely asked the seller for additional pics or more information. I don't think the seller was purposely trying to mislead (and yes, I absolutely could have missed that stain myself, so total benefit of the doubt there). And as I said, the packing could have been better (she's not an inexperienced seller), but as I also mentioned, no harm no foul.

The seller got back to me and was super nice--she thanked me for the feedback regarding condition and for buying (and didn't offer me anything, since I didn't ask for anything), and also let me know she would be more vigilant in the future with regard to descriptions, which I think will be helpful to other buyers.

The feedback question is really why I came here, and I think based on everyone's thoughts so far, a positive is in order with maybe downgrades on stars for description (I always like to leave feedback, so not a fan of doing nothing), particularly since I don't want to hurt this seller and a neutral would do that.

Thanks everyone!

I've been an eBayer since 1998 but only an infrequent seller, so I don't know the ins/outs of the implications of a downgrade on stars...if this will hurt the seller, I'd prefer not to do that either.

Another option would be to give a positive, no downgrade on stars, but mention in the comment that the bag had some minor condition issues not disclosed in the listing. How does that seem?

I've been an eBayer since 1998 but only an infrequent seller, so I don't know the ins/outs of the implications of a downgrade on stars...if this will hurt the seller, I'd prefer not to do that either.

Another option would be to give a positive, no downgrade on stars, but mention in the comment that the bag had some minor condition issues not disclosed in the listing. How does that seem?

Personally, when it comes to a situation like this where I get an item that's worse than described but not unacceptable from a seller who's probably not very experienced I just don't leave any fb. Positive feedback is not what you want to give but you also don't want to do damage to her account.

You could just leave a nice positive and not even grade the stars. Just a thought.

Hi BB, thanks for chiming in! I always find your feedback helpful. I am not a fan of partials, as a buyer or a seller, and thus would never ask for one. You're absolutely right on the points that you make--I could have definitely asked the seller for additional pics or more information. I don't think the seller was purposely trying to mislead (and yes, I absolutely could have missed that stain myself, so total benefit of the doubt there). And as I said, the packing could have been better (she's not an inexperienced seller), but as I also mentioned, no harm no foul.

The seller got back to me and was super nice--she thanked me for the feedback regarding condition and for buying (and didn't offer me anything, since I didn't ask for anything), and also let me know she would be more vigilant in the future with regard to descriptions, which I think will be helpful to other buyers.

The feedback question is really why I came here, and I think based on everyone's thoughts so far, a positive is in order with maybe downgrades on stars for description (I always like to leave feedback, so not a fan of doing nothing), particularly since I don't want to hurt this seller and a neutral would do that.

Thanks everyone!

It is nice that you don't want to hurt the seller - and I don't disagree. It sounds like the bag was not grossly misrepresented.

But you shouldn't have to guess what to ask for to ensure proper disclosure. It was not up to you to uncover the flaws - that is the responsibility of the seller. I personally would not leave this seller a positive. My choice would be to leave no feedback at all.

Positive feedback is not what you want to give but you also don't want to do damage to her account.

That's exactly how I feel--although this seller isn't inexperienced. I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill for her; but I do think she needs to be more careful in her descriptions or she will run into people who do make mountains out of molehills (although I also know that isn't my problem), which is why I messaged her.

I'm a fairly easygoing person and I like to be reasonable and give benefit of doubt (I think since 1998, I have left only one negative and 2 neutrals), and I also get that my standards aren't necessarily the same as others' (the small amount of selling I do, I often get feedback indicating that buyers are pleasantly surprised about condition, given my descriptions).

And I always, without fail, leave feedback...but now that several folks have mentioned not leaving any, perhaps I should reconsider that :thinking:

And I always, without fail, leave feedback...but now that several folks have mentioned not leaving any, perhaps I should reconsider that :thinking:
If a transaction isn't totally positive or totally negative, there's nothing wrong with not leaving feedback.

And in fact, with feedback being voluntarily, you aren't required to leave feedback at all or on any transaction, so there's nothing to feel guilty about if you choose not to leave it.

If a transaction isn't totally positive or totally negative, there's nothing wrong with not leaving feedback.

And in fact, with feedback being voluntarily, you aren't required to leave feedback at all or on any transaction, so there's nothing to feel guilty about if you choose not to leave it.

Thanks, BB...I know it's voluntary, and I think that part of my choice to always leave it is kind of a holdover from the early days of eBay when there was a lot of strong encouragement to ALWAYS leave feedback as a way of rewarding a good seller and providing information to other eBayers if the transaction wasn't ideal. Perhaps that's a little antiquated now and the right move is to just withhold the feedback entirely.

Thanks again for all your help!

This sounds like newbie seller & she did respond with an appreciation for your input
which in its own way, says something. Her use of "mint", "exquisite" & "no flaws found" was misleading
& for many, that would mean no imperfections.. not the case here from your comments..

In this situation, I would give her the benefit of the doubt perhaps to her lack
of experience in providing a more detailed description & not leave any feedback.

Leaving a positive with a mixed message can hurt her future sales, IYKWIM...

Last edited: