Feed Me Chevre

style101 said:
Lilach - The information I have compliments yours, but expands on it just a little, so I thought I'd add it. This was explained to me at length by a manager who was with Hermes for 12 years and at YSL for 3:

The ostrich that Hermes and YSL uses are actually from the exact same farm in South Africa. However, what usually occurs is that Hermes goes first and picks and chooses which skins they want to purchase. They make a point of only choosing the finest skins and will turn down any which have for example, a small scratch where the poor ostrich may have accidentally had a nasty run-in with a fence.:smile:

YSL then comes and purchases what's left. So while there's no doubt that Hermes' skins are superior (and I'm in complete agreement with that), I wouldn't go so far as to say that the ostrich on the YSL is "subpar". It's the same ostrich - just some which may have small character marks on parts of it and certainly YSL is using far more of the skins than the pristine parts Hermes chooses.

Given the price difference, it makes sense. And please don't think that I don't prefer the Hermes ones, because I do. But for the enormous difference in price between the 2, I also wouldn't say that the YSL ones are awful either - they are extremely soft and lovely in person as well. The manager and I just found it fascinating that a huge piece of virtually the same ostrich give or take some cosmetic flaws was selling for $5000 vs. about $11,000 - $13,000 at Hermes.

What's funny is that even knowing that, I'd happily pay for the Hermes one in a red-hot minute.:smile:

Thank you so much Style101! This is very interesting!!! So glad you posted this!:flowers:

I have never seen an ostrich YSL muse in real life, but I have seen the Gucci ostrich bags in real life and I really don't think the quality of those comes close to Hermes. The ones I saw retailed for about $4,000.00. The bags were not smooth. The spots were raised up off the bag like braille or something. It was awful. And what is worse is that the SA said there was no documentation that comes with the bags like the CITES I got with my birkin. So what are you supposed to do? Let customs take the bag?

Anyway, I should have asked where Gucci's ostriches come from. Who knows...it might be the same farm where Hermes and YSL go as well.

uwsgirl2004 said:
Lilach.. i totally agree.... HERMES IS THE BEST, PERIOD.

Even at $7,000 + a pop, HERMES has the best deal in handbags. As with most all other bags, you'll look incredibly retarded carrying them after 1-2 seasons and their resell value is at best 30-40% of what you paid for them (think balenciaga le dix, celine boogie, and soon the ysl muse).

Everythign else is just a bag, Hermes is a lifestyle. I can't say it enough: I LOVE HERMES!
Well said!:girlsigh:

Thanks for the bump GF.

But I go to the last pages and I find ostrich when I was looking for goats? LOL.

I love it though. Very interesting info.

And I'm a big ostrich fan anyway so this is great to know.

^^^OMG! Remember the whip?! LMAO!!! And S'mom going into the store to pick it up and her SA telling her it didn't match her outfit! Then going to UPS and finding a box to fit a 5 foot long whip.