Fed Ex Question

MAGJES

O.G.
Dec 13, 2008
Recently I had an expensive item I wanted to sell but did not feel comfortable listing on ebay so I listed it for sale in several small FB groups that cater to designer items. It sold and although I normally use USPS with all my ebay sales I choose Fed Ex to ship this item using the overnight option. I created the label through my FedEx account (I have received tons of items via Fed Ex but I have never used Fed Ex to ship). I paid for full insurance and picked the option to have the item delivered the next day by noon. The buyer loved the item.....that's the backstory.
Here's my question......My fedex online receipt totaled $242 but I just checked my CC statement and I was charged $367 by Fed Ex. Having no past experience at all with shipping anything using Fed Ex I am wanting to know if by creating the label online I was not guaranteed the price I was charged maybe? I have no idea why there is a $120 difference. Hope all this makes sense.

Recently I had an expensive item I wanted to sell but did not feel comfortable listing on ebay so I listed it for sale in several small FB groups that cater to designer items. It sold and although I normally use USPS with all my ebay sales I choose Fed Ex to ship this item using the overnight option. I created the label through my FedEx account (I have received tons of items via Fed Ex but I have never used Fed Ex to ship). I paid for full insurance and picked the option to have the item delivered the next day by noon. The buyer loved the item.....that's the backstory.
Here's my question......My fedex online receipt totaled $242 but I just checked my CC statement and I was charged $367 by Fed Ex. Having no past experience at all with shipping anything using Fed Ex I am wanting to know if by creating the label online I was not guaranteed the price I was charged maybe? I have no idea why there is a $120 difference. Hope all this makes sense.

So weird, this exact thing just happened to me....$160 shipping label, was charged $289! I haven't had time to call FedEx and work them over yet. I'm also going to call Amex.

Wow, that's a significant difference! FedEx uses dimensional weight calculations which can result in a higher charge depending on the size of your package. For example a 2 lb handbag shipped in a 19" x 15" x5" box will have a dimensional weight of 9 lbs. and will be charged at the 9 lb. rate. Also there can be fuel surcharges, and whether the delivery address was a residence or a business can make a difference.

I don't know if it might be the same in your case but, a few years ago, I shipped a parcel via Fedex for the first time and mistakenly ticked a box. It turned out, when I got the bill, that I'd agreed (in ticking this box) to pay for the buyer's custom charges. So the bill was more than the shipping quote.

I don't know if it might be the same in your case but, a few years ago, I shipped a parcel via Fedex for the first time and mistakenly ticked a box. It turned out, when I got the bill, that I'd agreed (in ticking this box) to pay for the buyer's custom charges. So the bill was more than the shipping quote.
Yikes! I bet that's what happened to the OP!

Like someone else mentioned, if you shipped international and mistakenly agreed to pay (or split, I believe there are several options you can choose from when it comes to duty, tax, and brokerage fee) for certain fees, you'll probably ended up being charged more.

Also, dimensional weight may cause you a higher bill. Did you enter the correct carton dimensions when you created the label? If you did, the total you see should be how much you will be charged. However, if you did not enter dimensions or entered incorrect sizes, carriers do re-measurements and will bill you for the correct amount.

Since you used overnight, I doubt this is a international shipment? I suspect it is the dimensional weight. May be give FedEx a call. They can explain to you what is the extra charge.

Reactions: Catbird9
Like someone else mentioned, if you shipped international and mistakenly agreed to pay (or split, I believe there are several options you can choose from when it comes to duty, tax, and brokerage fee) for certain fees, you'll probably ended up being charged more.

Also, dimensional weight may cause you a higher bill. Did you enter the correct carton dimensions when you created the label? If you did, the total you see should be how much you will be charged. However, if you did not enter dimensions or entered incorrect sizes, carriers do re-measurements and will bill you for the correct amount.

Since you used overnight, I doubt this is a international shipment? I suspect it is the dimensional weight. May be give FedEx a call. They can explain to you what is the extra charge.
let me look at my receipt....the box was quite large. I can't remember if I entered the dimensions. At the time I was only concerned about insurance on such a high $. It was a $10000 sale. Can you believe that I have people telling me not to insure it? Or only insure it for $500.....they said the high insurance would alert FedEx employees to swipe it.
High anxiety sale for sure.

let me look at my receipt....the box was quite large. I can't remember if I entered the dimensions. At the time I was only concerned about insurance on such a high $. It was a $10000 sale. Can you believe that I have people telling me not to insure it? Or only insure it for $500.....they said the high insurance would alert FedEx employees to swipe it.
High anxiety sale for sure.
Sounds like it may be the dimensional weight, especially if it's a large box. Unless you are shipping something heavy, nowadays you will most likely be charged more than just the actual weight of the item inside. You can always give FedEx a call. They should be able to tell you what the sizes are when they measured it. If it's off too much from what you think your box size is, you can always dispute it (I think). My experiences are with UPS (only a few cases with FedEx) so I could be wrong but I think both carriers operate pretty similarly.

It sounds like although you didn't have a problem with delivery and/or having to make a claim, you might want to clarify with Fedex about the difference between "insurance" and "indemnity."

I shipped a large package with $2500 "indemnity" because Fedex told me they didn't insure and although it kind of gave me peace of mind that I would be protected should the package get lost, I heard that the "protection" wouldn't be what I expected and had it been necessary, I would have had a problem collecting the full value of the items in the package.

As it turned out, the package was delivered and signed for and there was no issue so I can't comment on what might have happened but apparently, their coverage isn't what is implied.

There's a lot of ambiguity and confusion in Fedex, UPS and USPS coverages:
https://www.scribd.com/document/676...eclared-Value-Policies-for-the-Parcel-Shipper

http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/carrier_liability.html

I offer this as a warning because it's expensive and should there be a loss, they might add salt to the wound.

Reactions: Catbird9
It sounds like although you didn't have a problem with delivery and/or having to make a claim, you might want to clarify with Fedex about the difference between "insurance" and "indemnity."

I shipped a large package with $2500 "indemnity" because Fedex told me they didn't insure and although it kind of gave me peace of mind that I would be protected should the package get lost, I heard that the "protection" wouldn't be what I expected and had it been necessary, I would have had a problem collecting the full value of the items in the package.

As it turned out, the package was delivered and signed for and there was no issue so I can't comment on what might have happened but apparently, their coverage isn't what is implied.

There's a lot of ambiguity and confusion in Fedex, UPS and USPS coverages:
https://www.scribd.com/document/676...eclared-Value-Policies-for-the-Parcel-Shipper

http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/carrier_liability.html

I offer this as a warning because it's expensive and should there be a loss, they might add salt to the wound.
Thanks for this info. Definitely a lot ambiguity in coverage.

Last year I sold something on eBay and went the Fedex route. Well I followed all instructions and decided to drop it off at Fedex. They told me I packaged it wrong??? I used brown paper and tape with s Fedex label. They put it in a special Fedex box. So they weighed it and I asked the cost. She told me not to worry?? Well low and behold I wind up paying an addition $12 more.

Never again will I use Fedex.