Feature Change: Alter Visible Username

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
You get a lot of requests to change usernames and you have a policy against doing so. Understood.

There is a feature set on some boards that allows a user to change the way their username appears to other members. It does not change the registered username and the Mods and Admins can still see the registered username in Administration screens. Nothing is changed in the member database and all violations and warnings remain intact filed under the registered username. It only affects the way the usernames are displayed on boads and posts.

I've allowed this on other boards I manage using other software, but I don't know if there is a modification for it in VBulletin.

Just something to consider that might satisfy both interests.

Appreciate the suggestion. Kind of like AIM or even people on Twitter?

But what if people change their name to appear to be Jen or Sara or Bob. And we have 1,000 of each??

I have to ask . . . why would we do this?
I don't mean it in a snarky way, just truly not getting the "why?

No, we don't grant name changes or allow people to just abandon accounts and open new ones when they get sick of their username.

because the user name is no longer relevant and the user made the mistake of registering under a location-specific username when she knew she would not remain there permanently :lol:

in other words, I should've chosen something more sensible from the start

I'm not fussed either way, just thought I'd ask.

I have to ask . . . why would we do this?
I don't mean it in a snarky way, just truly not getting the "why?

No, we don't grant name changes or allow people to just abandon accounts and open new ones when they get sick of their username.

:confused1:

I know of at least two members who have had their usernames officially changed within the past year....I believe by Vlad.

Last edited:
The only name changes ever granted go through Vlad and were looked at on a case by case basis. But he is not doing that anymore, at all, not even in certain circumstances. And it is not because we don't care about everyone and want to help - but it literally was breaking the forum when we did it and also was extremely extremely time consuming.

So yes, very few people got a name change granted in the past. But no, it is not happening going forward.

And abandoning your old name and coming back with a new one will end up getting your new name banned when that is seen, since people can not have more than one account.

In certain extreme situations we can allow people to create new usernames, which then results in the old nick to be retired/banned. However, as Megs said, we don't allow casual account changes just because one doesn't feel like the username is fitting anymore.

Or live with it :yes:

It's probably hard to understand what a strain some things are on our servers. but name changes aren't just topical, it goes back and affects all your past posts and that strain actually damages the server from what I understand.
If you abandon your name and start a new one, and 300,000 others do that . . . well, that isn't practical either.

Or live with it :yes:

It's probably hard to understand what a strain some things are on our servers. but name changes aren't just topical, it goes back and affects all your past posts and that strain actually damages the server from what I understand.
If you abandon your name and start a new one, and 300,000 others do that . . . well, that isn't practical either.

Yes :yes:

We will change someone's name if it is their email address - as in with the @xxxxx.com or whatever. Otherwise, unless very extreme circumstances, we will not change it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but that was the purpose of this idea. It would not do anything as far as the registered username of record, so it would not affect any of the database files and there would be no issue with "it goes back and affects all your past posts and that strain actually damages the server from what I understand."

It would only affect the ID visible on the board itself. The registered username would still be visible in the main profile to the user and the Admins/Mods.

'Echoes' would always be my formal ID, but other users might be able to see "Echoes in Miami" or whatever.

Not a big deal for me either way. Just thought it might be a happy medium for those who wanted a change without putting any load on the board or Admin/Mods.

But again, I'm not even sure vBulletin has that option available.

Not to beat a dead horse, but that was the purpose of this idea. It would not do anything as far as the registered username of record, so it would not affect any of the database files and there would be no issue with "it goes back and affects all your past posts and that strain actually damages the server from what I understand."

It would only affect the ID visible on the board itself. The registered username would still be visible in the main profile to the user and the Admins/Mods.

'Echoes' would always be my formal ID, but other users might be able to see "Echoes in Miami" or whatever.

Not a big deal for me either way. Just thought it might be a happy medium for those who wanted a change without putting any load on the board or Admin/Mods.

But again, I'm not even sure vBulletin has that option available.

I'm not sure either and it is a very appreciated idea.

I'm just thinking even if it could happen, having 1,000 "Sara" (for example) would be really really really confusing, ya know?