Travel Favorite Travel Guides?

jillybean307

Wanderlust
O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
My semester is winding down so I have time to finally start planning my European Adventure. I went to B&N a few days ago, and they had 6 entire bookcases of travel guides-I was completely overwhelmed!

Does anyone have a favorite travel guide to recommend? I've used Rick Steves and Lonely Planet in the past and was pretty happy with them, but just wanted to see if any tPFers had other suggestions!

I like DK Eyewitness Guides too! plus they have layouts of the museums whcih tells u, what goes where. and they'll even highlight the "what to see" in the museum, if ure one of those people that is pressed for time n cant see everything.

I'm a hardcore LP fan. I've used other guides, but they're not as informative to me. I also like that they update their guides every couple of years for the more popular locations so the information is relatively accurate.

i like lonely planet, i find dk a bit patronising. if i'm going somewhere i've already seen the main sights i like wallpaper's guides for more unusual things.

The "Time Out" brands are the best. For me, the LP guides were aimed more for backpackers or travelers on the cheap. Time Out has good insight for the hip spots and places to eat, shop, etc.

I like LP for across the board, general advice. Time Out is good for some cities-I had trouble using it in Bangkok because it game me bad directions ad had me walking through isolated neighborhoods.
For higher end and hipper advice I really like The Hedonist Guide Series and Luxe guides-but they only cover certain areas.

If you're a partier or a student on a budget, check out the MTV travel books. I'm currently using the Spain & Italy ones to plan my Eurotrip. They're a great resource for nightlife and cheap eats/lodging. There are no pictures, but it's a pretty fun read. Since I haven't actually been on my trip yet, I can't say how accurate the books are. Though they were recommended to me by a friend who has been to Europe! :tup:

I swear by Fodors. They are nicley organized and broken down by reigion. They are esp great for a place you have no real idea what its like. The Germany guide (when the possibilty of moving to Manheim was on table) was my bible. I read it cover to cover in like 2 days. The others I've just checked out from the library and loved them all. I don't recc a genral one (like Europe or N America) as they can be to general and don;t really include anything you wouldn't get on X country.com LOL. Have fun in Russia. Its an amazing place.

I use Timeout for citys. I have 21 in my bookcase (had to take a look). I also have some Hg2 and Wallpaper. The later ones, are more for people who has already been to the place and is looking for new things to do.

If I'm about to travel around the country I tend to use Lonely planet, or Insight guide. For roadtrips- Drive around.

But most importent, use a guidebook that was printed no later than 2007. Especially if your going to a city.

Thanks for the tips. I bought a DK one of Berlin and Frommers one of Rome! I still have a ton more to buy for my little adventure, but those two were my favorite for those cities.

The DK guides are great, lots of pictures. But it's a heavy book if you like to bring travel guides with you. I also like Frommers...simple to use and informative...nice mix of the expensive with the inexpensive.

A great travel guide for people 18-25 is the Let's Go series. The writers are students and they have some really great tips you won't find in more traditional travel guides. About 13 years ago, I used Let's Go London for my first trip and the book recommended checking out Leighton House in Holland Park. This place blew me away so much, I always schedule a visit when I'm in London.

The DK's are very helpful, but heavy to carry with you. Fodor's is a favorite. I don't know how many cities they cover, but the Access Guides cover cities very thoroughly. I had one for San Francisco and found it handy.