Food favorite lentil recipes?

No Cute

cupcake butt
Aug 17, 2008
I've been eating a ton of lentils lately. Really on a lentil thing: salads, chili, stir fried with veggies, etc. But I need to change it up. Can you share your favorite lentil recipe?

Thank you.

I make a lentil stew often...I'm veggie. I never measure out anything when I cook so I guess you have to use your best guess as to how much to use. I also like spicy food so you may choose to omit a jala or some red pepper flakes.

My ingredients:

three garlic cloves,
two jalapenos,
red pepper flakes (about half a palmfull),
a pinch of cumin,
two handfulls of celery,
two handfulls of diced onion,
a can of stewed tomatoes,
two large yukon gold potatoes (diced),
vegetable broth (you can use chicken if you like, but I'm veg),
and lentils of course (I use about half a bag of dried lentils)!

I add enough vegetable broth to cover the lentils and bring to a boil then simmer. Meanwhile I chop the veggies and garlic and saute them down in vegetable oil. Then I puree the stewed tomatoes and throw them into the pot with the lentils and add the sauteed veggies. I turn off the heat when the lentils are tender. I usually serve over rice.

It also tastes good topped with shredded cheddar or sour cream.

Last edited:
I make a really easy lentil soup and you don't have to be exact on all the ingredients:

Heat a little EVOO (1-2 tbsp)
add 1/2-1 chopped white onion
add 2 tsp. mint
add 1 tsp. tomato paste
add 1-2 tbsp. rice
add 1/2-1 cup red lentils
add hot water to this mixture (4-8 cups, depending on the amount of lentils)
add 1 beef tablet thing (I forgot what they're called in English)
boil, then simmer until lentils are fully cooked. If it's too thick, you can add more water. You can also blend it to make it a creamy soup.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cajun Style Red Beans & Rice ~ few ppl thought my pic of the red beans & rice looked good so I'll post the recipe and I cook like my maw-maw so we don't measure please bare w me on that one.

This recipe is for the ppl don’t have time to stand over stove for 5 hours cooking dry beans unless you have a Crockpot. The only problem using a Crockpot is beans are watery and most of us Southerners like our Red Beans creamy so this is what I do:

Over night I put (1) pound of Camellia red beans (IMO these are the best) to soak in water. I also add all my spices at this time to my beans bc while they're soaking they soak up not just water but all the spices that make them taste so good. Before I put my water I sprinkle these spices over my dry beans:

Zaterians Creole Seasoning (you can use any type of Creole or Cajun seasoning I just like this one the best) I'll put a picture of it to show what it looks like.
salt
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
(1) to (2) bay leaves whole
add water that covers the beans about 3 to 4 inches above the beans.

The next morning I set my Crockpot on high for about 7 to 8 hrs

When I get home I stir it and turn off the Crockpot.

I like usually cast iron or Dutch oven pots to cook in but you can use any kind

(1) lg chopped onion
(2) chopped belle peppers
(3) chopped green onions
chopped parsley
(2) tbsp minced garlic
In our grocery stores down here we can buy pre-chopped seasoning like this in a container in our produce section...it's called Creole or Cajun chopped seasoning b/c they mix all of these together...it's fabulous and saves me lots of time.

(1) lb of whatever kind of meat bc we put meat in our beans: I usually use cubed ham it's less fattening but most use sliced up smoke or andouille sausage(so good but so fattening) or pickled or salt meat. If you want to get brave with it some even use pig feet, tails, etc...NOT ME YUK! but to each his own...

coat the bottom of the pot w EVOO throw in my meat to fry it down for about 5 minutes. Then throw the rest of the seasoning in and sauté it down until all they're all translucent. Then pour in beans and mix everything together and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. You shouldn't need anymore spices but you may want test taste a little and if does just sprinkle a little of everything you use from the night before stir and let it simmer for abt 10 minutes longer. You should put some salt in your rice when you steam it or you will have to add some to your beans. O and you always need a bottle of Tabasco for beans, can't eat beans w/o hot sauce.

C'est tout!

pictures below:
red beans
Guidry's Creole Choped Seasoning
Tabasco
Zatarian's Creole Seasoning

Attachments

• redbeans1819.jpg
    redbeans1819.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 64
  • guidryscreolseasoning.jpg
    guidryscreolseasoning.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 68
  • tabasco.jpg
    tabasco.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 61
  • ZatariansCreoleseasoning.jpg
    ZatariansCreoleseasoning.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 72
Cajun Style Red Beans & Rice ~ few ppl thought my pic of the red beans & rice looked good so I'll post the recipe and I cook like my maw-maw so we don't measure please bare w me on that one.

This recipe is for the ppl don’t have time to stand over stove for 5 hours cooking dry beans unless you have a Crockpot. The only problem using a Crockpot is beans are watery and most of us Southerners like our Red Beans creamy so this is what I do:

Over night I put (1) pound of Camellia red beans (IMO these are the best) to soak in water. I also add all my spices at this time to my beans bc while they're soaking they soak up not just water but all the spices that make them taste so good. Before I put my water I sprinkle these spices over my dry beans:

Zaterians Creole Seasoning (you can use any type of Creole or Cajun seasoning I just like this one the best) I'll put a picture of it to show what it looks like.
salt
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
(1) to (2) bay leaves whole
add water that covers the beans about 3 to 4 inches above the beans.

The next morning I set my Crockpot on high for about 7 to 8 hrs

When I get home I stir it and turn off the Crockpot.

I like usually cast iron or Dutch oven pots to cook in but you can use any kind

(1) lg chopped onion
(2) chopped belle peppers
(3) chopped green onions
chopped parsley
(2) tbsp minced garlic
In our grocery stores down here we can buy pre-chopped seasoning like this in a container in our produce section...it's called Creole or Cajun chopped seasoning b/c they mix all of these together...it's fabulous and saves me lots of time.

(1) lb of whatever kind of meat bc we put meat in our beans: I usually use cubed ham it's less fattening but most use sliced up smoke or andouille sausage(so good but so fattening) or pickled or salt meat. If you want to get brave with it some even use pig feet, tails, etc...NOT ME YUK! but to each his own...

coat the bottom of the pot w EVOO throw in my meat to fry it down for about 5 minutes. Then throw the rest of the seasoning in and sauté it down until all they're all translucent. Then pour in beans and mix everything together and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. You shouldn't need anymore spices but you may want test taste a little and if does just sprinkle a little of everything you use from the night before stir and let it simmer for abt 10 minutes longer. You should put some salt in your rice when you steam it or you will have to add some to your beans. O and you always need a bottle of Tabasco for beans, can't eat beans w/o hot sauce.

C'est tout!

pictures below:
red beans
Guidry's Creole Choped Seasoning
Tabasco
Zatarian's Creole Seasoning

I'm making this for sure!!! Thanks for sharing, Chantilly0379:smile:

Do you like Indian food at all? There are tons of Indian lentil recipes (all the beans are called daals... that includes lentils). And they easy to make!

You can use all kinds of lentils and beans... red lentils, black beans, chickpeas... you can make gravies to eat with rice or make it dry. If you're interested, I'll post some recipes!

This is a very yummy lentil soup that I found online once:
Lentil Soup With Pita Croutons & Lemon
1-3/4 cups (435 mL) red lentils, rinsed

1 onion, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

3 carrots, peeled, chopped

2 plum tomatoes, cored, chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

8 cups (2L) water

1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) cumin

Salt + ground black pepper to taste

1/2 thin whole-wheat pita bread

1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil

2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped Italian or curly parsley

1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges

In large pot, combine lentils, onion, celery, carrot, tomato, garlic and water. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to simmer. Skim and discard foam that rises to top. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lentils and vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Using food processor or hand-held blender, purée soup until smooth.

While soup is simmering, preheat oven to 350F (180C). Split pita in half to make 2 thin semi-circles. Lay on baking tray and brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake on middle rack, flipping once, until golden and crisp, about 8 to 12 minutes. Cool and break into bite-size pieces.

Ladle soup into warmed bowls. Top with pita pieces and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges on side.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Harira is a moroccan soup I made a few weeks ago for the first time. It's a little time consuming with all the ingredients but nothing shortcuts can't fix. My family LOVED it!

It's tomato based with bits of boneless shortribs and lots of warm spices like cinnamon, with a fresh burst from big bunches of chopped parsley and cilantro.
Lentils and chickpeas go in it for bulk and a few noodles in the end.

http://halalmama.blogspot.com/2010/10/harira-moroccan-soup.html

There is a morrocan soup made with creamed fava beans, good olive oil and garlic, it is also fabulous!