Favorite clothing organization/storage tips?

Oct 16, 2007
New York, New York
I am moving soon! My new apartment has a giant walk in closet - but no shelving. Unfortunately, I don't have a linen closet - 2 hallway closets with rods, but no shelves. I need to create some kind of system for linens and towels (I have lots) and maintain some kind of organization for my hanging things. I currently have a dresser for tshirts and stuff like that that I am thinking about moving into the walk-in depending on how much hanging space I need and how much space I have in the apartment, since it's a studio. I'd definitely appreciate any tips or your favorite things to buy to keep your stuff organized.

missmollypolly

College bad addict
Dec 29, 2005
DC/Moco and Boston
The elfa shelving stuff (especially the pull out drawer things) from container store might be really good for linens/towels.

One tip that really helps me is to try and maximize the amount of stuff you hang up (particularly if you have a lot of hanging space). I'd try and hang up basically everything except for t-shirts, pajamas and underwear.

May 4, 2008
After living in another country where closets had big-open-shelf sections as well as hanging space, I like the somewhat heavy shelfy things from Target for T-shirts especially, also sweaters and handbags. I like to see the whole stack so I can choose. (Can't see things stacked in drawers.) Don't get those lightweight wire ones.
Only thing left in the chest of drawers is underthings, swimsuits, gym clothes, nightgowns.

Oct 16, 2007
New York, New York
Thanks! I have been looking into the ELFA system but it seems kind of expensive, especially because I am hoping to be in this apartment 1-2 years max. Maybe it would be worth it for some shelving, though!

Jun 18, 2007
I use cubicals organizers- they go on sale at target around this time of year for back to school- I have one meant for shoes that I love because you can move around the dividers to make different size compartments. I also love the 9 cube organizers- I have them in navy blue and they are the perfect width for sweaters and pants when they're folded!