Favorite boutique brands under $400?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'm thinking about opening a boutique next year or so. I am starting SBA counseling and while my SO wants to wait a few more years, I am getting restless. I definitely have a strong vision of what I want but I would LOVE some unbiased feedback.

What would you say is your lifestyle? What kinds of pieces are you constantly buying? What are your favorite brands?

What do you wish you could actually find in store?

How much do you spend on average in a clothing boutique? How many items do you normally buy?

2. It really has to be something that I can't find at the department store for cheaper. For example, alex wang, marc jacobs, theory, phillip lim, etc. is everywhere.

Brands I would like to see are Notify, Doo.Ri, Jillian Lewis, SteveJ & YoniP, etc.

3. What would you say is your lifestyle? What kinds of pieces are you constantly buying? What are your favorite brands?

Grad student, clothes/shoes/bag horse. Have a weakness for sweaters.

Boutique-y Brands I like: Monrow, Haute Hippie, Inhabit, VPL, Tom Binns, will post other as I remember them...Notify is one of my favourite denim brands, as mentioned by poster above.

How much do you spend on average in a clothing boutique? How many items do you normally buy?

Hmmm. I'd say $300-$500. Sometimes, more (and if it's more it's usually spent on a single pricey item) sometimes less but usually it's in that range. Usually buy 1-3 items.

Are you thinking of bricks and mortar AND online, btw? I am Canadian so I'm always happy when a US online boutique ships to Canada. :smile:

4. Lifestyle:
    a need for conservative clothes for work and dual purpose clothes to also go out with friends and dbf - I go on trips a lot - love to buy dresses casual and dressy to wear to work and out on the town. Basically conservative by day, flirty by night, a fashionista on a budget but willing to spend on classic staples or a showpiece item.

Brands I like at boutiques - lacoste, free people, all types of designer jeans, and lesser known random brands

On average I spent ~$150 and the number of items varies... let's say 4 items?

I wanted to add some other input:

My FAVORITE boutiques are ones that carry name brand things and lesser known, and less pricey brands. (Price range at my current favorite boutique is $25 - $300) I like the mix and to have a lot to choose from, but also want to feel like they are more unique pieces that you wouldn't find in a bigger chain store. I love when boutiques have eclectic costume jewelry and hair accessories to coordinate.

5. ITA with this. In fact this is often the deciding factor for me when it comes to shopping. A place with lesser-known (possibly even little one-offs by local designers) pieces and extras is ALWAYS going to win out over somewhere that doesn't have the same type of thing.

6. Alice + Olivia, James Perse, Black Halo (!), Vince.

I'm kind of boring so I look for more classic pieces of clothing with interesting details. I like to stick to the $75-125 range. (Unfortunately, that means I'm one of those people who wait until the $300 dress is marked down 75%... lol.) I like looking for things that would work day -> night, but comfort is definitely key... No matter how awesome something looked, if I can't sit comfortably in it for more than 2 hours I can't get it :smile:

I think it would be ideal if you stocked items in all price ranges... LA Made is a good brand to consider too, because they have nice basics at a lower price point.

Oh currently I'm looking for - blazers, black skinny pants (pants, not jeans), sweater dresses, blousy tops (I can never seem to find dressy tops I like), and I'm alwayyyyyys on the hunt for the next perfect cardigan. Mostly stuff I can wear to work and not feel too causal or too dressed up. And the occasional 75% off cocktail dress.

7. I want to open a boutique that features both women's and men's clothing.

In the city I am looking to move to this summer (so I would wait until that next spring for timing, so I'm not having a soft holiday season and then the dismal after-holiday slump when no one is shopping) to a city that really lacks a good boutique for young professionals that is age appropriate.

There are lots of boutiques with denim and funky tee shirts, but you have to really dig to find a good cocktail dress for drinks after work or for a date. So, the selection is technically there but in my opinion, the competition is not well merchandised nor are the boutiques well edited. For men's selection, there's either boutiques trying to make them look like Keith Urban or a 60 year old man.

I want to be the first place people think of for well fitting basics: wrap dresses, pencil skirts, shirt dresses, cashmere sweaters, business casual/ dinner denim... And then carry some well-edited trendy or unusual brands that work with the basics. I also want to offer alterations (not in store, but I do not mind dropping them off and picking them up twice a week) since I have experience measuring in-store and I think that will give me a competitive edge...

8. What would you say is your lifestyle?
    During the day, I teach at a private school, and in the evenings (two nights a week), I'm an adjunct at a community college. However, I go out (salsa) dancing practically every weekend, and I hang out with friends outside of dancing.

What kinds of pieces are you constantly buying?
    Despite the job I have, I love buying pencil skirts; jeans (straight leg and skinny); dresses; camisoles; trousers; accessories (of the costume jewelry variety); lightweight sweaters.

What are your favorite brands?
    Boutique brands that I like: Alice + Olivia, Joe's Jeans, Theory. I'm a woman on a budget, however, so I'm more about Urban Outfitters, H&M, and Express (and Target for certain Go! International brands) since it's easier on my bank card.

More boutique brands and accessories like really cute scarves/wraps.

On average, I'd say that I spend $100-$150, for maybe three to five things. Of course, I'm always looking for a bargain, so the item number could be higher depending on sales and coupons.