Favorite book(s)

SuLi

O.G.
Nov 1, 2005
Since there seems to be a theme going on with the threads, what are your favorite books?

My personal favorite is "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. I've gone through so many copies since I re-read it about once a month. Other favorites include: "Anne of Green Gables" by LM Montgomery, "Of Love and Other Demons" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, other Jane Austens, and "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie.

Right now I'm reading "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman. Here are some of my favorites:

"Personal History" the autobiography of Katharine Graham, former publisher of the Washington Post

"The Virgin Suicides" by Jeffrey Euginides (forgot how to spell his name)

"Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson

"Mystic River" by Dennis Lehane

A Widow for a Year by John Irving is definately my favourite book. Some other favourites include -

Fall To Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Infections and Inequalities: The Modern Plagues by Paul Farmer, this is probably one of my favourite ethnographies ever by my personal hero, Paul Farmer.

Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold

Of the "classics", I'd have to say I really like Call of the Wild, White Fang, Black Beauty, Pickwick Papers, Jane Eyre, A Highwind in Jamaica.

Wow, I really need to get reading, all this talk about books just puts me in that mood !

Gone With the Wind –Margaret Mitchell

To Kill a Mocking Bird – Harper Lee

Member of the Wedding-Carson McCullers

Crazy Ladies-Michael Lee West

Jane Eyre-Charlotte Bronte

The Mirror-Marlys Millhiser

It varies depending on my mood. I almost always have a Bill Bryson book with me - I love his sense of humour. But I think my absolute favourite would have to be Jane Eyre. An all-round beautiful book.

it's a tie between The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera or The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. both are beautiful portraits of the relationships between ordinary people, which is something that i find really attractive in literature - i don't like fantasy or science fiction one bit.

i can't understand how y'all can read period literature. makes me cringe.

Lia said:
My number one is 'sense & sensibility', it's a cliché, I know, but it's fantastic.

I don't think that's cliched at all...I love Jane Austen.

english_girl_900 said:
It varies depending on my mood. I almost always have a Bill Bryson book with me - I love his sense of humour. But I think my absolute favourite would have to be Jane Eyre. An all-round beautiful book.

Oh, he's really great! Have you read most of his books? What about the "History of Everything"? That book is sitting on my shelf.

Great picks Ayla!

this is so hard, i read so much. hmmmm, loved:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie Macdonald
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

for more fun reads:

the shopaholic series and everything else by sophie kinsella
the devil wears prada & everyone worth knowing by lauren weisberger
something borrowed and something blue by emily giffin

SuLi said:
I don't think that's cliched at all...I love Jane Austen.

Oh, he's really great! Have you read most of his books? What about the "History of Everything"? That book is sitting on my shelf.

Yeah, almost all of them I think. I love 'A Short Histroy of Nearly Everything' - with a title like that how could I resist?;) I'm reading 'Down Under' at the moment.