Fave Hermes Skin

clanalois said:
I don't think that's part of the artisans' job description. At least I hope not. :amazed:
LOL! I don't think the Hermes artisans need to kill the animals. Hermes buys skins from all over the world. The only thing that I've always wondered is whether they have their own tannery to dye the skins. The colors on Hermes leathers are so beautiful, you don't see them anywhere else...

My fave hermes skins are:

Croc Porosus
Ostrich
Chevre de Coromandel
Barenia
Box Calf
Taurillon Clemence

What is the significant difference between togo and clemence? They are so similar, and I understand the technical differences, one is slightly more matte, one has grains that are closer together (more bumpy), etc., but what makes one more preferable over another? Is there enough of an impact on the over all effect of the bag to make it an easy decision when choosing one over the other?
side by side, an identical bag in togo and clemence - would one look less appealing (assuming you're already a fan of the leathers that slouch)?

gigi leung said:
LOL! I don't think the Hermes artisans need to kill the animals. Hermes buys skins from all over the world. The only thing that I've always wondered is whether they have their own tannery to dye the skins. The colors on Hermes leathers are so beautiful, you don't see them anywhere else...

My fave hermes skins are:

Croc Porosus
Ostrich
Chevre de Coromandel
Barenia
Box Calf
Taurillon Clemence

Gigi, just wondering...do you own a croc bag? I know you own numerous bags, but was wondering if you have a lovely croc bag as of yet? If not, any plans for one soon?

Since I don't have any Hermes (yet;) ) I'm just going on sheer looks, based on pictures:

Chevre
Box
Ostrich

Those look the best in pictures (to me):P

My mind may change in the near future!

Kellybag said:
Gigi, just wondering...do you own a croc bag? I know you own numerous bags, but was wondering if you have a lovely croc bag as of yet? If not, any plans for one soon?
KellyB, no croc bags for me yet. I used to think that croc bags are for old lady or granny :lol: :lol: :lol: But I do love the look & WOW factor of a porosus croc bag...I shall start small :smile:

HiHeels said:
What is the significant difference between togo and clemence? They are so similar, and I understand the technical differences, one is slightly more matte, one has grains that are closer together (more bumpy), etc., but what makes one more preferable over another? Is there enough of an impact on the over all effect of the bag to make it an easy decision when choosing one over the other?
side by side, an identical bag in togo and clemence - would one look less appealing (assuming you're already a fan of the leathers that slouch)?
There is very little difference between the two, at least as far as looks go, but it's when you touch them that you can really tell the difference: Clemence is MUCH softer and more buttery, it's also slouchier than Togo.
One of the last times I was in Hermès, I asked my SA what difference there was between these two leathers (I have 2 bags in Clemence and none in Togo) she told me to close my eyes and made me touch two different bags, and I immediately recognized Clemence as being softer than the other. In fact she said that it's much easier to recognize by touching them than by just looking at them...;) :biggrin:

duna said:
There is very little difference between the two, at least as far as looks go, but it's when you touch them that you can really tell the difference: Clemence is MUCH softer and more buttery, it's also slouchier than Togo.
One of the last times I was in Hermès, I asked my SA what difference there was between these two leathers (I have 2 bags in Clemence and none in Togo) she told me to close my eyes and made me touch two different bags, and I immediately recognized Clemence as being softer than the other. In fact she said that it's much easier to recognize by touching them than by just looking at them...;) :biggrin:

Very interesting Duna! I was also wondering that....wish I could get to a store easier!

I've seen bj birkins in clemence and togo and I can def see the difference. Especially in terms of structures. Clemence is def slouchier than togo. Togo still holds its shape quite a bit. The grains are also bigger in clemence I think. And togo sometimes have the veins, if you know what I mean..

Duna, Greentea, sarahcantiik - thank you all so much for responding. i guess my question didn't really belong in a survey thread - but you were all so nice to enlighten me. and i feel now that i have a better understanding. thank you.

From what I've seen IRL so far, my favorites are:

Exotics: Shiny Crocodile Porosus (but I imagine both matte & Niloticus to be as equally divine:love: ) - once you see it IRL, you'll trully understand why...
Smooth: Chamonix - it's more matte and a wee bit more scratch proof over box. definitely recommended for kellys or any other structured bags.
Grain: Clemence - I just love the buttery feel and matte texture. Great "slouchy" leather.