Fast Heart Rate - Is it dangerous?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. My heart rate is high; it always has been. Even in high school, my resting heart rate was in the 90's, and that was when I was running several miles a day and dancing. During my pregnancies it was in the 90's, and my dr. never mentioned anything about it.

It wouldn't concern me now except that the machines at the gym list normal resting heart rates, moderate exercise heart rates and hard work heart rates. My heart rate is high at rest, and it elevates less, comparatively, even when I am running. It comes down very rapidly when I stop working out, but remains in the 90's most of the time.

I am a 39 year old female, if that matters. Is my heart rate a problem, and if it is what do I do about it? I have been trying to increase my cardio capacity in the hopes that exercise will improve efficiency and reduce my heart rate, but that has not worked in the past. Is this something I need to see a dr. specifically for?

2. Have you gotten blood work done to see why your resting heart rate is high? (ie, cholesterol testing, high sodium intake, genetic predisposition, etc). If not, please see your doctor and address your concerns.

3. #3 Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    was is your resting heart rate these days<
    that is, what is your heart rate before you get out of bed in the morning.

you should also start with discussing your overall health with your regular doctor to start.

4. For years my resting heart rate was in the 80's and then about a year or two ago it got slower and was more in the 60's-low 70's. I wasn't exercising more or doing anything differently except I started having anxiety attacks. Now it bounces around between being in the 80's and 90's sometimes to 60. I've had EKGs, Stress Echos, Holter monitors and they all say that I'm perfectly fine so I have no idea. You could go to your Dr. if it bothers you, but I don't think it's a big problem. My mom always has a heart rate in the 80's and my mother in law said that hers is always in the 90's.

5. I have been wondering about my heart rate, too. I don't know what my resting heart rate is. My max heart rate is 180 at my age of 40. I hardly did any exercise until 6 month ago and I started running. Now I am running 4,5 days a week to run my first marathon this year. When I run short distance (5, 6 miles), I run at little uncomfortable pace. When i run long distance (around 15 miles), I run at easy conversational pace. I bought a reputable running watch with heart rate monitor and found out even when I am running (jogging) at easy pace my heart rate goes up to 180. Is it OK?

6. OP, your post sounds as if it could have been written by me! I have the same issue, but I'm only in my twenties. My heartrate has always been extremely high. I don't know what to do about it, but I wanted to offer my support and let you know you aren't the only one!