Fashions You Once Disliked, But Now You Have a Change of Heart

*want it all*

GOODBYE BREAKING BAD
Jul 6, 2008
I know we've had a couple of fashion peeve threads and trends you wish would die, but I don't think there is a thread like this... :shrugs: So, which pieces of fashion did you give a :tdown: to (whether it's because you didn't like the styles or because you didn't think they could work for you), but then you changed your mind and now have (perhaps even multiples) in your closet? :nuts:

For me, it'd have to be Uggs. Held out for the longest time, but I now own 4 pairs (albeit none are the classic Ugg style because I just find them too clunky looking). :P Let's also include in that list skinny jeans and jeggings. The skinniest types I wore in the past were straight legs. Now I practically only wear skinnies/jeggings. Fancy that, LOL. :amuse:

Harem-style/tapered pants. Remove the diaper bagginess at the crotch and now you have elegant "slouchy trousers". Skinnies/jeggings too. Actually thought boot cuts were the end-all for pants at one point.

2 years ago was when I first saw a pair of jeggings. I thought they were so hilarious I dragged some of my friends back to the store in SOHO so we could all have a good laugh.

Today I own more than a handful of them. AND I LOVE them!

Denim leggings...they're comfy! I never hated uggs but did think they were kinda ugly; I didn't resist it or anything, got in on that when it got popular...love that I don't have to wear socks and their warmth. I also didn't like the harem pant style, I think some styles look good depending on the cut but I think it's difficult to pull off. I thought skinny cargos were ugly at first but now I have a pair.

Oh this is a fun thread idea..lesson in humbleness and giving things a shot. I also did not care for boyfriend jean, but I own a pr..it is not as baggy as the way katie holmes has worn hers though. Skinny jeans and jeggings..I sure love them now! :nuts: I really did not like skinny cargo, but I guess you just have to try different brands to get good fit..finally have 7FAM pr I am quite happy with! LOL, and I still do find Uggs rather ugly, but I tell you, when you take the dog out in bitter cold temps, you are so thankful to have those warm comfortable Uggs!

Even though this is not directly fashion (as in clothes/shoes), I must admit I was not a fan of those dark goth nail polishes, but now I wear them on my toes a lot! :shame:

I hate admiting this...:shame: But most of the trends I started by disliking them....and then had to have it !
Examples :
-skinny jeans
-black shiny leggings
-bodycon dresses and skirts
-wedges booties
...I tend to buy it while it´s still on the rise though, and get out of it by the time it´s on every single woman, and down to tweens...

black leather jackets - (and leather jackets in general - I still remember the oversized versions of the late 80s/early 90s, shudder) - for some reason I had to find the right style and now can't get out of mine.

^Exactly the same for me!!! I hated skinny jeans and resisted for so long. I also didn't want to wear leggings because I wore them as a child in the early 90s and wedge sandals were popular in my late teens so I didn't want to re-visit trends. But as always, there is a twist to the new fashions and I love leggings for their comfort and I just can't get enough of wedge booties.

*skinny jeans
*otk boots
*ankle booties with dresses
*sequins with a dressed down item.. I thought it looked soo goofy to wear sequins as everyday wear and mixed with laid back items. It is still goofy looking on me but a lot of people can pull it off.

I think we have just trained ourselves to think things look good by seeing photo after photo of the item on celebrities and runways. My SO and I were just talking about this last week when I tried to convince him (a fairly stylish and fashion forward guy) that yes, sequins and a t-shirt do go together sometimes. One day we will probably look back on all of our photos and think we look terrible and wonder what we were thinking. Remember the bright eyeshadows and big hair of the 80s??