Fashions revisited.

chambersb

Jan 14, 2014
Those of us in our 30s have had the pleasure of seeing some of our favorite and not so favorite trends come back.

Did you keep a few things from the old days? Would you wear it again 20 years later?

I was looking for something this morning and I found this old dress that I wore in high school. I have no idea why I've kept it and really forgot I had it. I believe they call them "skater" dresses now but in my day they were "baby doll" dresses. It's 100% rayon as opposed to the newer jersey ones. Seems to be a tad longer as well. Sooo.... I paired it with a modern dress extender and posed with some suede boots I've had since 1996.

Just for a laugh. Don't know about actually going out like this...

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1413728479.320151.jpg

Old fart here (43).

I read somewhere that you should never wear a trend that returns if you wore it the first time. I would make an exception in my case for 70s because I was a kid and didn't really 'wear' anything of any note. But no way you're getting me in neon, stirrup pants, big glasses (other than sunnies), or Timberlands, plaid shirts and leggings.

Those of us in our 30s have had the pleasure of seeing some of our favorite and not so favorite trends come back.

Did you keep a few things from the old days? Would you wear it again 20 years later?

I was looking for something this morning and I found this old dress that I wore in high school. I have no idea why I've kept it and really forgot I had it. I believe they call them "skater" dresses now but in my day they were "baby doll" dresses. It's 100% rayon as opposed to the newer jersey ones. Seems to be a tad longer as well. Sooo.... I paired it with a modern dress extender and posed with some suede boots I've had since 1996.

Just for a laugh. Don't know about actually going out like this...

View attachment 2783242

I don't think I would wear this out either - the lace on the bottom dates the dress and the skater dresses now are a different cut I think.

I don't keep any old clothes - EXCEPT for a swing coat/cape I brought from USA (I am in Australia) from the 1960s. It is a great vintage piece and even though I was not born then, I love it - I brought it via eBay when eBay was only a new word.........

I only keep clothing that are classic cuts/styles...but anything "trendy" is usually tossed/donated after a couple years. I would not personally wear anything from the 90s...the trends were bad enough on me the first time around, lol! I still can't get over the return of the "flatform" - I was so happy when I thought that trend was gone...but it came back, and I still refused to purchase any flatform shoes.

I have many clothes, I have saved almost twenty
years, its great to see them coming very popular
again. I do wear most of them still and miss the ones I have given away. Quality is so much better, the clothes are made well.
Some cuttings dont fit the time ( mostly shoulder
toppings ) others still play very well.
I have always bought mostly classic style, like camel coat, a pee coat, Barbour oil jacket, biker leather jacket etc
Most of them Italian labels.

They still work.

I have many clothes, I have saved almost twenty
years, its great to see them coming very popular
again. I do wear most of them still and miss the ones I have given away. Quality is so much better, the clothes are made well.
Some cuttings dont fit the time ( mostly shoulder
toppings ) others still play very well.
I have always bought mostly classic style, like camel coat, a pee coat, Barbour oil jacket, biker leather jacket etc
Most of them Italian labels.

They still work.

Oooohhhhhh.... I'd love to take a look in your closet. I agree with you about quality. I have a few garments I've bought from the 60s or 70s and they are made well, too.

I have a Levi's denim jacket from the mid 90s and it's much thicker than the ones on the market today.

I believe there are very very very very few clothing items from the past that can be worn today - the item hasn't changed but the cut certainly has - most things this is applicable for. My Mom bought me a maxi skirt about 6 years ago from a fairly pricey store - I got it out recently and the look is completely wrong for today. It's going to the charity bin, shame. That's why when people say 'Oh I spent x amount of money on this, it's expensive but it will last me for years' is just the stores trying to convince you to spend money. I think people confuse the definition of a 'classic look' with 'classic actual items' instead of using current items in a classic way.