Fashionphile Sent Ripped Leather Bag as "Excellent" Condition Need Advice on Resolution

Oddity

L U C I D
Jun 25, 2015
A few weeks ago I bought a Chloé Hudson fringe bag for what I thought was a good deal for $610 USD in "Excellent" condition. It is in great condition save for one thing... A rip in the leather on the strap that was not mentioned in the listing. In 2015, this bag was about $2150 retail. $610 is slightly over 70% off so that's something to consider. The funny thing is, this was listed for sale, sold (while I waited for informal authentication on the Chloé forum), then relisted for sale again some weeks later and that's when I snatched it back up because I wasn't sure about authenticity the first time. I kept this bag in its dust bag with tags attached until I could get it authenticated by A4U before wearing to have peace of mind as another bag of the same style on Fashionphile at the time looked very fishy to me (Fashionphile has had fakes slip through before) and I contacted them about it.

After the bag I purchased was proven to be real, I felt I could start wearing it but before doing so, I checked the shoulder strap and there it was, clearly a RIP in the leather (see photos below) not just minor scuffs and scratches that they mentioned in the listing. Since I missed seeing the spot initially, I guess I can see how Fashionphile could've also. This bag overall was in good condition save for minor scratches as they mentioned and listed in Excellent condition, but to not mention this tear, my heart sunk when I saw it.

I initially emailed Fashionphile through their contact form on the site because they don't list their email and haven't heard back from them in a week now. I already did 2 follow up emails and am about to call them. This bag is still within the 30 day return period but I do like it... What would be a reasonable resolution for this tear in the strap? Another 5%, 10% discount? Would you guys return the bag completely? I'm a bit torn at what to do and want to know what to ask for before I call them. I have about a week before the 30-day return period is up.
IMG_20171010_074141.jpg IMG_20171010_074135.jpg IMG_20171010_074034.jpg IMG_20171010_073942.jpg 17-09-29-07-10-53-963_deco.jpg

Personally, if that's the only flaw on the bag, I would just see about getting it fixed myself. From the pics, it doesn't look ripped, but rather a snag. Easily fixable by a cobbler

That looks like a really easy fix. Why not take it to a cobbler, get an estimate, and ask Fashionphile to reimburse you for the repair?

Personally, if that's the only flaw on the bag, I would just see about getting it fixed myself. From the pics, it doesn't look ripped, but rather a snag. Easily fixable by a cobbler

Thanks for your input guys. It sounds reasonable to ask them for the repair reimbursement but I have no point of reference to know how much that will cost. If you could fix it yourself, what would you do? Are there products to help mitigate the tear from worsening? I don't want to make it seem like a big deal but the leather is ripped from my POV, the flap will lift if you grab it and I take issue with them not mentioning this at all or picturing it in the original listing. If I'm getting something flawed, as a buyer I would appreciate seeing all the main areas of damage to set the expectation when I finally receive the bag instead of finding it in worse condition than was stated by the seller.

You would have to research leather repairs in your area to get an idea of what to quote for reimbursement. Most likely FP would just suggest returning it.
If you are thinking about repairing it yourself there are some excellent repair/refurbish threads on TPF.
There is also a huge thread about FP on the EBay forum.
It is entirely possible that the bag may have been damaged by the previous buyer and the damage wasn't noticed and the bag just relisted or that they returned it for the same reason. Either way the eBay thread will give you some insight into their business practices.

Reactions: Oddity