**Buying from Fashionphile** shopping experiences/questions

OMG I am terribly upset. Last night I ordered a bag and paid with my store credit, and used my debit card for the small remaining balance. Today I see that Fashionphile used my debit card for the entire amount and it has come out of my checking account. I emailed them first thing this morning- I hope they will straighten this out asap!!
Fashionphile replied that there is no way to change the payment status on my bag since it has shipped. It figures they would ship it the minute I paid for it. I have to send it back, get a refund. wait for it to be relisted, and then I can buy it again. What a pain!! And I know that I indicated to use my site credit when I checked out. This is terrible customer service.

I normally send LV to Fashionphile, but I had a Chanel I was thinking about selling. I originally bought it from Yoogisloset. They gave me a buy back offer of about $800 less than what I paid. On the other hand Fashionphile has only one of the same bag (in this color) in not as good condition for sale on their site for $2995, with a buyback of $2087. So I was hoping they would offer me around $2,000 for it. I waited over a week and finally got an offer of $1,400! That's just rampant greed. I know they would list it for $3000!

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for them to ship a purchase AND pay me for an item they received Friday. Someone is on vacation this week. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: giligy
On Friday Fashionphile received a box from me with two small items in it. They were both Louis Vuitton. I received an email that both items were received and checked in. I was paid immediately for the lower priced item but today I am still waiting on payment for the other item. Fortunately it wasn't too expensive. I emailed and asked why I've been paid for one and not the other. I got back a canned response and a suggestion that I look at their help page. ☹️

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: giligy
Whenever I see a handbag for a great price on fashionphile, the first thing I do is to look at the item condition. Lately I’ve noticed the item is marked as “excellent” condition to find it has multiple detailed descriptions of the flaws. I also look at the photos and see bunch of corner wear and other scuffs that I don’t think should be there on an item marked “excellent.” It’s not brand specific since I’ve seen it on Chanel and Hermès listings. Why say an item is excellent when clearly it should be marked as “very good” or “fair.” The price reflects the condition of the bag and it shouldn’t be marked “excellent”. I’m just ranting, because it can be frustrating. Does anyone else agree that this is not an “excellent” condition bag? There were other flaws but I did not take a screenshot of all of them. Here’s the link if anyone is interested:

A987B201-D69A-47BA-AD74-CD8CB10A7A68.pngF7635A2E-5236-49D8-8488-3AEE7D0297C9.png839431C4-0776-477F-8ACA-C724ED90D636.png

I personally don’t pay attention so much to the excellent or very good rating, so long as the description includes the true condition and I feel that price reflects the description.

It is irritating if you want to do a search on NIB and don’t click through condition. Also agree the overuse of ‘excellent‘ may be due to changes from new investors and possibly new customer demographics.

I did buy a BV Tomas Maier hobo (at the start of covid) with an excellent rating and a bunch of listed flaws (to my surprise, I couldn’t really see the flaws once I got the bag). Assume they might list the flaws to try to limit returns from the type of customer who returns a retail bag multiple times bc of microscopic issues?

I haven’t bought a birkin from them recently, but I am kicking myself for hesitating on a few bags with less than excellent ratings. Specifically, I think I missed the deal of the summer by not jumping on a blue gray 30 ostrich B with only a very good rating. I was also pondering experimenting with larger kelly sizes and missed out on a larger retourne phw box kelily with very elegant lines at a 4K price. It was a great bag. Could absolutely have been refurbished to my taste.

I personally don’t pay attention so much to the excellent or very good rating, so long as the description includes the true condition and I feel that price reflects the description.

It is irritating if you want to do a search on NIB and don’t click through condition. Also agree the overuse of ‘excellent‘ may be due to changes from new investors and possibly new customer demographics.

I did buy a BV Tomas Maier hobo (at the start of covid) with an excellent rating and a bunch of listed flaws (to my surprise, I couldn’t really see the flaws once I got the bag). Assume they might list the flaws to try to limit returns from the type of customer who returns a retail bag multiple times bc of microscopic issues?

I haven’t bought a birkin from them recently, but I am kicking myself for hesitating on a few bags with less than excellent ratings. Specifically, I think I missed the deal of the summer by not jumping on a blue gray 30 ostrich B with only a very good rating. I was also pondering experimenting with larger kelly sizes and missed out on a larger retourne phw box kelily with very elegant lines at a 4K price. It was a great bag. Could absolutely have been refurbished to my taste.

Totally with you there, I have bought items that were listed as new without tags and found signs of wear, items listed as good that I couldn't find the flaw they mentioned.... If the pictures are good and the description is accurate, I am happy with that, the rating, hey, don't care much about that, after all the price usually reflects it's preloved.

I find it really hard to commit to buying a preloved bag (specifically Hermes in my case) just from pictures and descriptions.
I live in the UK and most of the good resellers for Hermes are in the US and Japan which adds a hefty cost of shipping and duty (I got stung badly buying a Loewe from a US reseller-shipping and tax etc added about 40% to the cost :annoyed:)
Even if the seller allowed returned I'd have to cover the shipping and insurance for that as well as effectively losing the cost of getting the bag in the first place so it could cost me at least £1000 ro end up with zilch :sad:

Oh I remember seeing that ostrich Birkin! It was beautiful. I contemplated buying it also, but it had some sort of water/oil stain that I wasn’t sure about. I’m sure docride may have been able to do something!

But yes, you are right. Sometimes they label an item in better condition than they are and sometimes not. They show the photos accurately so we as consumers can decide what the item condition is rather than what they labeled it as. Thank goodness for those detailed photos!

• Love
Reactions: 880
I noticed this on their listings today:

Taxes: Sales tax will be charged on all items shipped to AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, NC, NE, ND, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI and WV.
How are they allowed to charge sales tax on used items? I don’t that was double taxation? Am I missing something?

How are they allowed to charge sales tax on used items? I don’t that was double taxation? Am I missing something?
What people don't understand is that it's not FP, not Yoogi's, not ebay, not Amazon and not any other sites that are "charging" sales tax.

It the states who impose taxes and those states are requiring the online venues to collect sales taxes. After collecting it, the proceeds are forwarded to the buyer's state department of revenue.

As for the taxability of preowned items, they are taxable and as such, that's why consignment stores, thrift stores and online venues have to collect taxes.

As a buyer, you need to complain to the elected officials in your state if you don't like paying sales tax.

The lack of a mannequin is really starting to get to me. I know they list the dimensions, but sometimes you just have to see the bag on someone (or some person-shaped thing) to understand how the bag will hang. Has anybody inquired as to why they ditched the mannequin?
I saw it mentioned in a Q&A they did on Instagram. They said the photos that included the mannequin were taken several months ago (so likely returns, reselling items back, items they had previously photographed and had records of, etc.) and that newer items do not have it. They acknowledged it was gone but did not state a specific reason why and did not say if/when it would come back. I definitely find it helpful as a size reference. Their photos in general have declined as of late - I saw a Kelly bag get listed with maybe 6 pictures compared to the 15-20 that usually go up. Maybe short-staffed?