Fashion Trends: Buy, Snap & Return

This thread reminded me of a poster on the shopping forum. She started her thread expressing disbelief about receiving a letter from a store informing her that she was no longer welcome as a customer of their online business. After a few responses and questions, she admitted that she returned almost everything she ordered. I can't find the thread now, but there is an older thread regarding returns where many posters explained their high return rate, though none say that they were taking photos for social media.
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...returns-share-your-experiences.544054/page-29

This thread reminded me of a poster on the shopping forum. She started her thread expressing disbelief about receiving a letter from a store informing her that she was no longer welcome as a customer of their online business. After a few responses and questions, she admitted that she returned almost everything she ordered. I can't find the thread now, but there is an older thread regarding returns where many posters explained their high return rate, though none say that they were taking photos for social media.
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...returns-share-your-experiences.544054/page-29

This one, with "I am not doing anything wrong"

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...t-nordstromrack-com-and-hautelook-com.984891/

Yes! That's the one. Thank you!
I had look at that - 95% return pattern. our digital footprint is being studied by big brother!
having said that there is a problem with just buying things on line. the clothes are sooooo misrepresented, sizing is inconsistent, colour inacurate, clothes are pinned, photoshopped and modelled in weird angles. there is a good piece here by Justine Leconte on Asos :

I had look at that - 95% return pattern. our digital footprint is being studied by big brother!
having said that there is a problem with just buying things on line. the clothes are sooooo misrepresented, sizing is inconsistent, colour inacurate, clothes are pinned, photoshopped and modelled in weird angles. there is a good piece here by Justine Leconte on Asos :

But if you've ever been on a fashion shoot, they are presenting clothes, usually there are pins in the back, extra seams, tape, so it all sits well for that shoot. I watched an old Bette Middler film, forgot the name, but she gets abducted and held for ransom, the husband doesn't want to pay because he wants her money, she starts working out after she looks at a fashion magazine, sees beautiful clothes, then in her mind's eye transforms them on her body. Something that is always in my mind when I look at fashion photography is, the model will be a lot taller than me, a lot less curvy, how will that dress look if you aren't having the catwalk height and size....

But 95% returns is an awful lot, I'm really not surprised that the company pulled the plug.

Reactions: Mayfly285
Such an interesting thread...

The other day I was at a local well respected brick&mortar pre-loved handler, the kind which was around when we called it second hand and used to trade in inherited states, and where you would go hunt for old well used vintage treasures. They are in an old building with this huge walls which nowadays they are packed top to bottom with shiny new Birkins and Kellys. They were telling me they have more in store as they don’t even have the space anymore to show them. They told me many come to consign straight from the Hermes shop. Once they had a woman bringing 10 Fendi Peckaboos, new. It is crazy.

Btw, sometimes I can also not help being surprised by the backgrounds in some shots and reveals, but I don’t think that is necessarily an indicator of not genuine purchases, we would be surprised...

As great as this forum is, and the best source of info on the planet, it does create and feed issues. I know that some of you don't understand it and that's fine. I have been here a very long time and also worked in a field where interaction with people on an emotional level was a daily occurrence. Yes, there is a 99.9% chance that you will never meet a fellow poster IRL. but that doesn't mean that there can't be relationships formed here. People like to keep up with their "friends" and sometimes they will do some strange thing to make it happen. @HavLab I always try to take into account where a person comes from as tPF is a world wide community. I also take into account that English can be a second or third language. That all being said, anyone, from anyplace can do some weird things to keep up.:smile:

Very true, gracekelly. I’ve been a member of the Mulberry forum for a long time and the “enabling” nature of tPF does make some people feel that they need to purchase the latest bag that’s being revealed/talked about - not necessarily for image, but because they feel it will fulfil them. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of a new bag, and the sense of belonging, only to need to feed the habit again a few days or weeks later. It doesn’t quite fall into the Buy/Snap/Return category but can explain why so many reveals occur!

Very true, gracekelly. I’ve been a member of the Mulberry forum for a long time and the “enabling” nature of tPF does make some people feel that they need to purchase the latest bag that’s being revealed/talked about - not necessarily for image, but because they feel it will fulfil them. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of a new bag, and the sense of belonging, only to need to feed the habit again a few days or weeks later. It doesn’t quite fall into the Buy/Snap/Return category but can explain why so many reveals occur!

Buying handbags isn't a competitive sport, as somebody who really has a thing for bags and shoes, I never get why people need to have "the latest" - pretty often I go for an older model because I simply will get more use out of it, it suits my style better. Fashion and everything around it should make you look better, not sort of push you into a place where you try to make it look good.

Buying handbags isn't a competitive sport, as somebody who really has a thing for bags and shoes, I never get why people need to have "the latest" - pretty often I go for an older model because I simply will get more use out of it, it suits my style better. Fashion and everything around it should make you look better, not sort of push you into a place where you try to make it look good.

I agree, Gabs, and am in the same boat as you!

I’ve always been a “bag fiend” but love them for themselves - often, the older/quirkier the better! I just love well-made, beautiful bags - I’m as happy just holding them and admiring them in the privacy of my own home as I am wearing them, and my friends/family know that (even if they don’t “get” it!)

However, I do know that several Mulberry ladies have fallen in love with styles that they see revealed (not necessarily the latest) and have got themselves into financial difficulties feeding the bag habit.

In addition, I personally have one friend who bought two of my bags because she wanted to be seen with the “right sort of bag at work and at the school gate” rather than because she loved the brand. I steered her towards what worked for her, and she uses them on a daily basis now, but it saddened me that there was a perception that there was a “right” bag to carry ...

Reactions: Gabs007
I agree, Gabs, and am in the same boat as you!

I’ve always been a “bag fiend” but love them for themselves - often, the older/quirkier the better! I just love well-made, beautiful bags - I’m as happy just holding them and admiring them in the privacy of my own home as I am wearing them, and my friends/family know that (even if they don’t “get” it!)

However, I do know that several Mulberry ladies have fallen in love with styles that they see revealed (not necessarily the latest) and have got themselves into financial difficulties feeding the bag habit.

In addition, I personally have one friend who bought two of my bags because she wanted to be seen with the “right sort of bag at work and at the school gate” rather than because she loved the brand. I steered her towards what worked for her, and she uses them on a daily basis now, but it saddened me that there was a perception that there was a “right” bag to carry ...

It's a bit sad when people go into debt or financial difficulty to buy and item they can't really afford, possibly don't even want but think they have to have it. The right bag is one that gives you joy, my current fave is one a friend made for me. I just love that he went through the trouble of making a bag, the craftsmanship is beautiful, and it has NO label at all. If people would decide to judge me on the brands I wear, I think I would rethink my circle of friends. I totally get that for work events a certain style and brands are expected, especially if the client endorses or is the face of a certain brand, but that is a work issue and part and parcel of the job, maybe that's why I don't really want it to intrude my personal life.

I think another reason for the returns can be the instant gratification thing, order something to make you feel better, then your life doesn't become magically better, you see your CC bill and people return it, sometimes after having "shown off", I always joke because I live in an area where big weddings are a social "must have" that some of the people still pay for their 1st wedding after the 3rd divorce.

Yes, certain things you don't buy for cash, houses, cars, but those things are investments, bags are luxury items, if you can't afford to lose them, you shouldn't buy them, simple.

Not speaking for others but personally I share my purchases on this forum because no one in my real life appreciate them the same way that TPFers here do.

Most of my friends tease me as they know I’m into bags but when possible, I prefer not to talk about my purchases with them. Also where I am, designer goods are not refundable and the Chanel bags i buy only has a 14 day Exchange policy whereby you can 1)only Exchange once and 2) use up all the credit on that Exchange. (I’ve only exchanged a brooch once, and had to pay extra to buy a second brooch as the one I exchanged was less and I was not allowed to either save nor waive that credit.

Maybe in the US, you can return liberally but here in Asia, the policy is much more restrictive (esp branded goods).

Small penises. Insecurity. Desperate need for attention.
OMG you've met my ex-colleague! His workstation had two jackets draped over the chair and 7 pairs of shoes under the table. He needed regular stroking of the ego, which we declined to assist in as his styling was meh. Doesn't stop him from livin' the Insta life.

Reactions: Gabs007

Maybe in the US, you can return liberally but here in Asia, the policy is much more restrictive (esp branded goods).

If you do order online, there are certain laws regarding returns, so the only way a shop can stop people who return so much that it causes them a loss of profit, is to ban those people.

I agree with what has been said before, online it can be difficult to order, but if you do know the brand, most online sites do also have a customer service and you can check with them if an item comes smaller or larger, in fact usually they are quite happy if you ask before purchasing and the SA tend to know the stock or check.

I don't order anything online from Zara, because I know their sizing is totally erratic, sometimes the XS is larger than the M, I just end up frustrated if I have to return a lot of things I've been looking forward to wearing, so I will only buy in their real brick and mortar shop, where I can try on how the items fit, since I don't get to Zara very often, their loss.