Fashion Statement or Religous Symbol ?

I'm not a Christian or Catholic but I have a fascination with cross accessories. I think the cross can be worn as BOTH a religious symbol and a fashion statement, depending on the individual. My bf and best friend are both Catholics and they wear these nice cross gold necklaces 24/7. When I wear mine, they do not get offended but actually compliment on my cross. So to each his own.

I'm a Christian, but not so religious that it would bother me that non-Christians wear a crosses. I think that it is just an accessory like any other piece of jewellry.

I don't think it's wrong to wear a cross as a fashion statement. Like Irissy said, it can do double duty. A lot of my family members who are Catholic wear gold cross necklaces, both as a religious "statement" and the necklace is part of their everyday jewelry. I have one that I used to wear, it was gold with a small diamond at the center. I haven't worn it in years, my mom wears it now.

I am a Christian and it doesn't really bother me to see people wearing crosses as fashion accessories (unless they're really, really ugly for some reason). They may not fully understand the significance of the symbol they are wearing, but I think that's ok. I wouldn't want a Jewish person to get mad at me if I was wearing a star of David necklace because I really liked it. You know?

i'm catholic but i think crosses are fine as both a fashion statement and a religious symbol (even though i know others think it's incredibly wrong to wear a cross as a fashion statement).......crosses hold symbolic value for people who aren't religious and they're just pretty.......i wear a small black/yellow/and white diamond cross and i love it.....i think i'd wear it even if i weren't religious just cuz it's pretty

So, I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think a cross is very definitely a religious symbol and should only be worn as such. I am not a religious person, and no longer wear a cross. If I see a Star of David on someone, I am going to assume they're Jewish; if I see a cross, I am going to assume christian. I don't think it's so much a matter of being offensive as it is just not in good taste. But that's just me.

I think a cross could be a fashion statement. It looks great and i wish i could wear it. I'm Budist and my mom strongly believes that it's not right to wear a cross if u are not a Christian/Catholic. I just don't wear a cross to make my mom happy. It's not a big deal anyways. :P

I think it's kind of offensive, but it just shows how people don't value religion anymore. I used to wear a cross all the time, but it seemed most people around here only did it to be all blinged out.

I dont really think its offensive as long as the person isnt wearing it to mock the religion or anything. I thought some of the YSL bags that looked like they had crosses were cute, but definitely not for any religious value. I wear a gold symbol of my temple that kind of looks like a cross, but for me that has religious value, for anyone else it might just look like...well...not sure :lol:

I don't see why it can't be both. I wear my cross every day of my life and I wouldn't call myself religious, at least not in a traditional sense. I embrace different aspects of lots of religions - it's a subject that fascinates me - but my cross is just a symbol of my spiritual side.

I could understand more devoutly religious people being offended by my cross belly button ring tho'. :shame:

Kathy K said:
So, I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think a cross is very definitely a religious symbol and should only be worn as such. I am not a religious person, and no longer wear a cross. If I see a Star of David on someone, I am going to assume they're Jewish; if I see a cross, I am going to assume christian. I don't think it's so much a matter of being offensive as it is just not in good taste. But that's just me.

Kathy K, I am right in the minority with you.

I am not a Christian but I do find it generally disrespectful to wear a religious symbol as strictly a fashion statement, particularly if you are not a member of that religion. Religious symbols are exactly that...symbols of a religion. There is much history behind them. Deep meaning. To wear a religious symbol just because one thinks it is "cute"...in my opinion...is showing disrespect.

I'm also in the minority and don't think crosses should be worn as a fashion statement. I agree with Leah, there is a deep meaning behind the cross and to wear it as a fashion statement is disrepectful.