Fashion Buying or Styling or Brand Management?

mrsronaldo

Jan 4, 2008
How do you decide between those three?

Let me introduce myself first. I am a confused high school student, graduating in June this year. I am planning to take bachelor degree in International Business or double major Marketing and Management.

My plan is to take a 2 year program in Singapore, in an Australian based university. And so here it goes, I've always wanted to work in the fashion industry. I was thinking of taking a full time job in Singapore as a saleswoman or perhaps working for a magazine. I still dont know. Anyone can share something helpful for me?

The plan continues on me taking master programme in Europe. There's this university called Instituto Marangoni where they offer FASHION BUYING, FASHION STYLING, and BRAND MANAGEMENT. How can I choose between those three?

Thank you in advance:smile:

I would take Brand Management. It seems the most realistic career choice, breaking into styling and buying is very hard and the job market is slim in terms of that. Im in the same boat as well, am graduating this year and will be going into a Fashion Merchandising uni.

I have an Advertising degree and Marketing minor. I currently work as a media coordinator at a marketing firm that specializes in brand development and management. I must say, there are a lot of creative and business aspects to my job to "feed" both sides of me. I find it ever-changing, always interesting and always new & fresh because we have new clients all the time. Hope that helps! :biggrin:

Go for brand management. It's the most broad topic and could potentially be used in other fields as well. Fashion buying and styling are very narrow and if no jobs are available you're going to be pretty stuck. With brand management you have a better chance of landing a job even if it's not in fashion right away.